Talk

Advanced search

To be saddened by peoples attitudes to autism still.

(46 Posts)
Whistlingwaves Mon 22-Oct-12 11:16:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Startailoforangeandgold Mon 22-Oct-12 11:25:46

UTube comments always seem to be neat insults. Doesn't matter what the video is, someone will add something hurtful.

FlaminNoraImPregnantPanda Mon 22-Oct-12 11:30:54

I'm autistic and a law student. My brother is autistic and an Oxford graduate. My husband is autistic and a professor of nuclear chemistry. My daughter is autistic and doing a degree in International Studies with the aim of working for the UN (and has already been offered a teaching position in Tanzania). And we're the backwards ones? hmm

I also think it's kind of funny that morons posting ignorant rubbish fail to grasp the irony that they only reason they have the chance to do that is because of autistic computer nerds thinking outside the box and giving the world the tools to do so.

threesocksonathreeleggedwitch Mon 22-Oct-12 11:34:15

I do not get why you had to share this.
disablism is shit and there has already been a thread on this, alll this one will do is cause more hurt.
what with the other 2 threads.
not nice

schobe Mon 22-Oct-12 11:37:12

Why should she not share it?

She is disturbed about something she has seen/read and wants to post about it. That explains 100% of the threads on here.

Or, because it might cause one of those boring rows about disability, she should keep quiet?

schobe Mon 22-Oct-12 11:37:57

The thread itself doesn't cause the hurt. It's the thoughtless and/or ignorant comments on the thread that do that.

Pumpster Mon 22-Oct-12 11:40:07

Yes it's shit but comments on YouTube are always nasty, regardless of the topic! Much like Facebook comments on the 'like this picture' stuff. There are some nasty shits around!

Aboutlastnight Mon 22-Oct-12 11:40:26

The comments on YouTube are always idiotic.

crazygracieuk Mon 22-Oct-12 11:43:07

Loads of trolls on YouTube so you should NEVER read the comments- even on harmless videos like "My cat fell off the sofa".
I've never understood why YouTube is full of vitriol but don't take it seriously.

Whistlingwaves Mon 22-Oct-12 11:43:22

When I was young we had neighbours who had a DD who was autistic. She was severly affected (not sure of the right term) but she was lovely.

Her younger brother told us once that his parents told him his sister was an animal. sad

Her own parents. That always makes me so sad to think about. I agree, some peoples attitudes are just horrendous.

People truely are vile.

threesocksonathreeleggedwitch Mon 22-Oct-12 11:44:58

you could search you tube and find vile stuff about anything, same with fb and here.
I just get fed up with reading the vile stuff.

Whistlingwaves Mon 22-Oct-12 11:45:25

merlincat Mon 22-Oct-12 11:46:26

KennethParcell Mon 22-Oct-12 11:47:50

you tube is populated by 13 year olds.

but as a single parent of a child with autism (one of my children) I do think that generally people only really get issues that affect them directly. They may sort of sympathise but not understand why you've had to make the decisions you've made. I have single parent friends who don't really care about cuts to the domicillary care allowance and then I have acquaintances with children with autism who don't really care about cuts to single parent allowances and it just really brings it home to me that people only get what affects them personally.

BarbarianMum Mon 22-Oct-12 11:48:07

<<Its 2012!! We haven't come anywhere have we>>

I think UABU about this! Yes, there is a long way to go but there has been a massive change in the way many disabilities including autism are viewed over the past 30 years.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 22-Oct-12 11:58:15

That's a horrible horrible video! sad

YANBU to be upset by it. But I think attitudes have come a long way in the UK comparing to even 10 years ago,never mind 30+ years. Even in comparison with some European countries the UK is well ahead.

I once read that in France autism is only recognised as a mental health issue,the same as depression and so on.

ICBINEG Mon 22-Oct-12 12:06:15

I just hate autism. I hate the way it sneaks into peoples lives and trashes them. I hate the way it produces people who look 'normal' and gives the benefit bashers ammunition. I hate more than anything that I will have to wait several more years before I will know for sure if my DD has escaped it.

It sucks ass that so very many people are affected by it and all we seem to be able to do is help them cope rather than kick the autism into touch.

But I love MN because if it wasn't for threads about autism I would have walked away after a recent bus ride, in which a woman sat next to me becoming increasingly stressed and rude while she shouted to her friend, who also seemed non-NT and who had taken the only other free seat a few rows back about horrible people and not being comfortable, thinking what the fuck was that all about and feeling horribly embarrassed.

Instead I simply asked the friend if they wanted to swap with me and did so and ignored all further shouting and pointing and failed to feel embarrassed at all.

Shellywelly1973 Mon 22-Oct-12 12:14:19

As a parent of a child with Autism I feel the level of awareness of Autism has improved but only very slightly.

As Kenneth says the general public do not have any awareness that families with a disabled/ Autistic child are very affected by the cuts.

The level of ignorance among the HCP's I have met is scary!

My G.P has only a very basic knowledge of Autism.

The Teaching Assistants in mainstream schools are very often poorly trained , if at all.

My ds attends a special school. He didn't go to full time school until his 7th bday, does anyone know of a 'normal' child being denied an education until their 7th bday?

Ds has an I.Q of 128, is working at the Year 5 level in maths & science but socially & emotionally about 4yrs old.

As for the comment about Autism being regarded as a mental health problem in France,in the UK mental health problems of people with Autism are barely acknowledge.

The UK has a very long way to go...

SusanneLinder Mon 22-Oct-12 12:17:55

I heard someone say that If it wasn't for Autistic people, we would all be living in caves grin

I am a mum of an autistic child, and I hate people thinking that autistic kids are "retards".What a horrible turn of phrase.angry

I do think we have come a long way, but tbh we need more. It would help if there were Autistic role models.Plenty of famous people on the Spectrum.

Shagmundfreud Mon 22-Oct-12 12:18:37

"The Teaching Assistants in mainstream schools are very often poorly trained , if at all"

Agree. The TA that ds (who has ASD) was working with 1 to 1 a lot of last year was so inadequate that I think she did more harm than good. She clearly disliked him and thought he was just a naughty, unpleasant child.

Actually his teacher wrote on his report "Shag-junior needs to learn to understand other children's feelings". sad

pigletmania Mon 22-Oct-12 12:21:34

Flamin thanks for sharing that smile. My dd 5 has just been dx for Autism and he future is uncertain. She is. Really bright and intelligent girl, bu due to her autism she has the emotional and social maturity of someone who is about 2/3 years. She no attends an Autistic school and s coming on leaps and bounds. Those comments are just horrid, everywhere you will find nasty people in the world.

Vagaceratops Mon 22-Oct-12 12:24:29

Our Gp doesnt believe in Autism, and he thinks my own DS would 'improve if I didnt do everything for him'

I went to a talk about continence issues, the Nurse that let it kept talkling about 'normal' children as opposed to 'autistic children', and had clearly read 101 autism stereotypes before the talk (Children with ASD only eat beige foods, children with ASD dont like physical contact).

We are extremely lucky with DS's 1:1 who is absolutely fantastic.

ExterminateYou Mon 22-Oct-12 12:51:03

I think the majority of people without any reason to educate themselves about autism really dont understand it and for that may appear rude and selfish. My only experaince of autism is a boy i used to see in passing while growing up, it was obvious immediately that he had special needs, he wore ear muffs and screetched and flapped and pulled faces etc and to me that WAS autism thats all i knew of it. Then i had ds1 and had concerns about some behaviour, i set to google and for many things one word kept jumping back at me AUTISM, AUTISM. I thought nooo cant possibly be correct ds was the polar oppsoite of what i belived autism to be so i left it for a few years. Then more niggling and googling and reading led me here to mumsnet and the special needs forum where i have learnt so much and have a much better albeit not perfect understanding of ASD. Ds1 now 6 is not diagnosed and had changed alot with age but does have some autistic traits imo. Dh in the same way i used to think only had one experaince of autism during a brief job he had as an adult carer many years ago. An autistic man who lived in the care home, who was obsessed with trains and had a strict routine, who used to lash out and attack staff, had toileting problems and other innapropriate bodily functions etc. So when i raised the question of ds and autism he cant and wont believe it, despite me telling him all ive read hes just closed off to it. I think alot of people will only understand what effects them directly and sometimes even then will refuse to believe it.

However there is NO excuse for vile comments even though its likely those on youtube are about 12, they should not be allowed to spout such disgusting language.

ICBINEG Mon 22-Oct-12 12:56:04

I think it is a phase...like with OCD. First no-one has heard of it, then people start to know something about it, usually linked to extreme and very one dimensional cases - but at least people start getting more sensible advice from some doctors, and then eventually one day most GP's get it and people are actually aware of the different forms and effects although some stigma persists...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now