Talk

Advanced search

To find it irritating that no one seems to be able to spell my bloody name?

(115 Posts)
LollopingLil Mon 22-Oct-12 10:20:33

Sorry, I'm obviously in a generally pissy mood.

I've had emails from four different people already this morning misspelling my bloody name and it irks. Probably irrational, but my name is NOT common-variant-number-one (let's say Jane). It's common-variant-number-bloody-two (Jayne). I have an extra letter, but it's still a very, very common spelling! Miss it out and it's not me.

Misspell my surname and I couldn't give two hoots, it's forrin and hard to remember - I get that, it's fine. Misspell my first name and I feel 'not seen', but that it would be far too petty to raise with you. I feel especially narked if I've paid a lot of attention to spelling your name.

I am totally, irrationally U on this but by god, it rankles!

Pascha Mon 22-Oct-12 10:22:45

MIL mispells my name on all birthday and christmas cards. I've known her for 13 years and she has been tactfully told several times by DH. I've given up now, she obviously doesn't get it.

nextphase Mon 22-Oct-12 10:29:44

Nope, completely normal.

I have the common variant of a name with several possibilities.
I can cope with the foreigners getting it wrong, but the Brits really should know better.
Mind you, when one repeat offended got her message replied to with the less common spelling of her name, she quickly spotted it....
Petty - moi?

Paiviaso Mon 22-Oct-12 10:30:36

I think it's really rude, especially if they have it written down correctly somewhere in front of them (like on a previous email).

Sort of similar, my name was misprounced all the time growing up, and it was really frustrating because it is said exactly how it is spelled! It is a totally normal name as well, nothing fancy. Do people just assume we must have spelt our names incorrectly, and they'll fix it for us??

CarpeJugulum Mon 22-Oct-12 10:32:41

I have this, but with both surname and christian name sad

To cap it off, in my company there is a person with the same name, but and even more "odd" spelling who goes ape if it's wrong, so now I'm getting emails with her spelling too.

Grrrrrr angry

Lottapianos Mon 22-Oct-12 10:32:48

Don't blame you at all OP. This drives me potty too, especially when people respond to an email I have sent them where my name is right in front of their eyes and they still spell it wrong. It's just careless and thoughtless.

greenhill Mon 22-Oct-12 10:33:42

I get about 5 different variations of my name on birthday cards / Christmas cards etc from DH's family. My birthday is impossible to remember too. Luckily, I don't care. I'm just pleased to get the card, eventually.

NomNomingiaDePlum Mon 22-Oct-12 10:34:12

oh lolopingllil, poor you smile
(yes, irritating. i have accents on my name and i don't mind people not adding them but i really hate when people put them on the wrong letters. but iabu.)

x2boys Mon 22-Oct-12 10:43:10

my sil name is a variant of a more common name spelt differently prounced differently ie say her name was julia everybody calls her julie it does nt seem to bother her but it would drive me insane i also think its very rude i have a double barrell first name [was born in the 70,s was ent common then] everybody tries to call me just my first name not my whole name i,m known as my whole name i just ignore them if they cant be bothered getting it right they dont deserve me to respond to them!

LollopingLil Mon 22-Oct-12 10:44:26

I am being massively over sensitive grin

I'm pregnant, I have my second heavy cold in less than a week and, most salient perhaps, I take a lot of care with everyone else's blooming names!

throckenholt Mon 22-Oct-12 10:46:42

Mine is a bog standard boring name of it's time - it amazes me how often people change it to non bog standard and often totally made up variants. Even when replying to an email where my name is at the bottom.

I, on the other hand, frequently mistype my own name - all the right letters, wrong order, but somehow no-one else ever gets that variant (I could forgive that as an obvious typo). I try hard to correct my typos before pressing send but I am sure a few slip through without me noticing.

LST Mon 22-Oct-12 10:49:08

Everyone spell my name wrong. It's Jasmin. With NO 'e' but everyone puts the 'e'sadangry

Startailoforangeandgold Mon 22-Oct-12 10:50:09

I'm dyslexic and if you do/don't have double letters in your name, I'll middle them up. Sorry I some how don't see them.

However, if people are replying to an Email and have "Jayne" in front of them and write Jane that's lazy.

HorraceTheOtter Mon 22-Oct-12 10:50:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VinegarTits Mon 22-Oct-12 10:51:00

the people who spelt your name wrong, are they people who know you well? in that case yanbu

otherwise strangers will always tend to use the first common variant, just correct them, if they get it wrong again they are idiots, and it is annoying i know

i spell my name Vinny, but there is always the one idiot who insists on spelling it Vinnie (the chav way) no matter how many times i correct them, but its cos they are stupid, innit

LST Mon 22-Oct-12 10:53:24

My cats name is vinnie sad he's not a chav

LollopingLil Mon 22-Oct-12 10:57:33

Arf at Vinnie the non-chav cat.

LST Mon 22-Oct-12 10:58:27

He isn't honest. He does prefer vince to his nn though grin

suburbandream Mon 22-Oct-12 11:00:25

My name is a popular 1970s name with a double letter in it, but people always put only one of said letter, and quite often two of another instead! Same with my surname which has two doubles. It's annoying but no biggie really. However, if you've written/emailed/texted and your name is clearly correctly spelt then YANBU to expect people to get it right.

LunaticFringe Mon 22-Oct-12 11:03:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lottapianos Mon 22-Oct-12 11:05:23

I have a friend called Francesca, who shortens it to Ces. We have a mutual friend who cannot get her head around this and also seems incapable of reading what is right in front of her. I will text her something like 'Ces will be at the party' and she will reply 'oh will be good to see Chess again'. Drives me mental! angry

FreudiansGoldSlipper Mon 22-Oct-12 11:05:43

I get this all the time my (first name)

I do not let it bother me. I get my name mispronounced a lot too

I have a foreign name but a few famous women share my name

VinegarTits Mon 22-Oct-12 11:07:17

LST i was using vinnie as an example (my really name is similar sounding and has a very chav spelling, and is not the way i spell it)

im sure your vinnie is not a chav <snort>

MrsLOllypop Mon 22-Oct-12 11:09:16

YANBU. I have a less common spelling of a fairly common name and often have people correct me. My FIL also continues to mispronounce my name after 10 years. It really grinds my gears angry

SouthernComforts Mon 22-Oct-12 11:10:30

Yanbu. My dd is called Eva and it drives.me mad when people call her Evie. That's not a nickname, its longer than her actual name! And a different name! Arghh.

<and breathe>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now