Talk

Advanced search

To ask you what to do about my hands?

(18 Posts)
Cathycomehome Mon 22-Oct-12 00:52:54

We had a small house fire last week, and to cut a long story short, I burnt my hands, which are now wrinkled, peeling, scabbing a bit and painful, or itchy anyway, enough to be keeping me awake.

I've been putting moisturiser on which helps a bit, but what else should I do? They're driving me mental!

Did you see the doc about them? Surely theres something they can give you?

sad sounds painful. And traumatic. Poor you!

Cathycomehome Mon 22-Oct-12 00:58:12

I don't know whether to bother the doctor, they're not infected, just deeply irritating and ugly

BeingBooyhoo Mon 22-Oct-12 00:59:49

aloe vera gel?

BeingBooyhoo Mon 22-Oct-12 01:00:21

no scrap that. proper aloe vera from a proper plant.

Cathycomehome Mon 22-Oct-12 01:00:21

I hadn't thought of that, I'll try it tomorrow, thanks.

Cathycomehome Mon 22-Oct-12 01:00:52

Oh, not a plant! Where would I get one if them from??

BeingBooyhoo Mon 22-Oct-12 01:05:48

hmm, i've never bought one. possibly you might get extract (is that what it's called) in a health food store.

the plant itself? emm a garden centre or nursery? sorry, i'm useless. blush

Cathycomehome Mon 22-Oct-12 01:09:59

I've decided to eat Maltesers. This seems to be helping smile

justbogoffnow Mon 22-Oct-12 01:11:01

You really ought to get them looked at by GP

NatashaBee Mon 22-Oct-12 01:14:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cathycomehome Mon 22-Oct-12 01:14:21

Do you think? I have to try and sleep now, I expect I could get an appointment for tomorrow evening, but don't want to waste their time.

justbogoffnow Mon 22-Oct-12 01:17:18

I don't think it's wasting time. Friend of mine burnt her hands (accident with kettle) and she went to A&E, was given special cream and dressings. The burns weren't really bad, but sound similar. Doctor said it was important to treat the skin so it didn't go 'tight'. No harm in getting them checked out.

musicposy Mon 22-Oct-12 01:21:19

Ibruprofen will help with any inflammation and chocolate.

However, I'd ring your GP and get the practice nurse to look at them just in case they are better covered. Preventing infection is very important.

I had a severe burn to my foot last year and they had lots of exciting ointments, some to prevent infection, some to numb pain. Plus a rather interesting silicone skin with holes in. It doesn't sound as though you'd need that, but the nurse can almost certainly help with this kind of thing. I was about 4 weeks having it dressed by them but after that they gave me loads of stuff to do it at home, so I'd be surprised if they couldn't give you something to put on it at home and help ease the discomfort.

The ugliness will go smile . I lost a lot of skin and my foot looked hideous for a quite while. I only have a very feint scar now.

YellowRiver Mon 22-Oct-12 01:21:24

I know that if you put on a cream with some camphor in it the itching will ease off - but since the reason it does, is that it brings the blood to the surface, I don't know if that would make them hurt more or extend the healing time. I use one for my itchy insect bites, it's not available in the UK but it smells like olbas oil in vaseline - which is possibly what it is.

Perhaps cover them in e45 and use some plastic gloves (like you'd wear if you were dyeing your hair) to seal the moisture in, overnight.

Sounds awful, hope there wasn't any damage apart from your poor hands...

Definitely go to the doctor and get some proper treatment recommended! It's not a waste of their time!

Go to a+e. Seriously.

Aloe vera gel from a plant is amazing. I highly reccommend you get some plants.

I cant keep.them alive but my GM has huge ones and if we get sunburn we just go break off a leave. Really handy.

YellowRiver Mon 22-Oct-12 01:26:22

ooh yes musicposy, I second the ibuprofen idea

Cathycomehome Mon 22-Oct-12 01:28:07

Thanks for advice, first day back at work tomorrow, well today now shock so must close eyes and ignore itching for now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now