Talk

Advanced search

To feel a bit weird about having to dress up as a school girl?

(49 Posts)
DowntonNappy Sun 21-Oct-12 23:00:02

My friend has organised a birthday party, and I've been invited. She's having it as the theme 'back to school' and says we should wear 'sexy school girl outfits'. I feel a bit icky about it tbh, especially since I'll have to borrow my dd's tie!

AIBU (and being an old fuddy duddy), or is it all a bit icky?

I used to dress as a St Trinian's back in the day when i was a teen for Halloween, but now I'm a mum - with my very own little school girl - it feels odd.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going. But just think i'll feel a bit grossed out about the men ogling the women dressed as school girls.

WilsonFrickett Sun 21-Oct-12 23:01:14

Out of interest, what are the men dressing as?

defineme Sun 21-Oct-12 23:03:21

Is very weird.

Go as wild school girl instead-dm boots, ripped tights, skirt as bandana.

Funnylittleturkishdelight Sun 21-Oct-12 23:03:28

Creepy. I wouldn't do it.

DowntonNappy Sun 21-Oct-12 23:04:23

Hmm, she didn't say. But i assume shirt and tie (school style too). Nowt degrading though, i bet.

Dordeydoo Sun 21-Oct-12 23:06:25

Just wear a school looking outfit you are comfortable in

Lovecat Sun 21-Oct-12 23:07:57

YANBU. I hate the 'sexy' schoolgirl thing. Dodgy in the extreme.

In fact <rant alert>, I despair utterly when I look at fancy dress outfits on ebay and the like (I do amdram and sometimes it's cheaper to buy something than hire it) and it's all 'sexy' this and 'sexy' that, usually 5cm of cheap satin masquerading as a skirt teamed with a crop top and thigh length stockings. I can't think of anything less arousing, myself. Even pre-DD when I had the figure for that sort of thing it made me heave.

A whole bastard page of the things - it's just hideous.

ENormaSnob Sun 21-Oct-12 23:08:07

Creepy imo.

SirBoobAlot Sun 21-Oct-12 23:08:19

Its wrong, and is just an example of how we are sexualising our children sad

I wouldn't do it.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 21-Oct-12 23:10:03

Ditto sexy nurse costumes. No wonder nurses get sexually assaulted all the time. Go as Hermione Granger!

ENormaSnob Sun 21-Oct-12 23:11:54

Something slightly sad and pathetic about grown women dressing as 'sexy' school girls.

In fact, am cringing for you.

Could you go as a pe teacher? Science teacher? Librarian? Dinner lady? Lollipop lady?

ecuse Sun 21-Oct-12 23:13:22

It's gross. I hate it. But I would feel similarly awkward about being the "killjoy' who refused. Do you think it's possible that others going are feeling similarly squicked out and would be grateful if someone else (you!) were the first to say something?

DowntonNappy Sun 21-Oct-12 23:14:05

i think I'll wear the uniform I actually did wear to school as a teen - knee length skirt and big baggy cardi. grin

It's the other ladies I'm stressing about. Drunk and disorderly 20-30 year olds dressed as 'sexy' school girls, and being eyed up by men. No matter how I dress, I think I'll still feel a bit dodgy about it all. But she's a close friend and I really want to celebrate her birthday, so can't not go.

I can see me being mother hen all night.

DowntonNappy Sun 21-Oct-12 23:14:58

Hermione Granger! Great idea! I have the hair for it.

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sun 21-Oct-12 23:15:48

I wouldn't do and I would be very open with everyone else as to why

You will probably get a few others joining in with your stance

Be brave...be the first to say "this is yucky, man-pleasing and I won't partake"

you are not a killjoy, nor a prude, nor are you frigid and hate sex

DowntonNappy Sun 21-Oct-12 23:16:21

No ecuse. My friends are all excited about it apparantly. Possibly because i'm the only mum in the group, that's why I'm suddenly conscious of how icky it is.

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sun 21-Oct-12 23:16:22

do it

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sun 21-Oct-12 23:17:15

arggh, nooooo, don't do it

gah

post Sun 21-Oct-12 23:26:57

Are the men dressing as jimmy savile?

HappyHalloweenMotherFucker Sun 21-Oct-12 23:29:00

Someone I know did go to a party dressed as Jimmy Savile a couple of weeks before the allegations started coming out.

He has had a lot of stick since then !

WorraLiberty Sun 21-Oct-12 23:32:30

You don't have to go.

If you want to go, you don't have to dress up...it really is that simple.

However, if you do decide to go...*do not* wear your DD's school tie because that is likely to embarrass both your DD and the school itself.

Just get a random tie from ebay or something non descript.

aldiwhore Sun 21-Oct-12 23:34:08

You can be as 'degrading' or revealing as you like. Yes there is an 'icky' side, the same could be said for many a fantasy, or fun 'dress up theme' - but she's not asking you to fuck anyone.

I've had fun (admittedly I was reticent for all your reasons) dressing up as a 'school girl' (although the 'theme' in my case was simply 'Back to School' rather than 'Male schoolgirl fantasy - interesting how many of the women went straight for St Trinians rather than the blazer, chunky sensible shoes, straw hat look) but y'know, for me it was fun, it was a chance to wear that uniform the way I wish I'd been able to get away with when I WAS at school, and if the 'boys' thought it was hot that a 38 woman did it, meh... we are all married, settled down, etc etc.,

It's not something I'd do by choice, I'd rather buy some nice shoes and go out with a select few people, but I don't necessarily think people who like it are automatically condoning lustful thoughts of minors, rather that we harking back to an age where we HAD those thoughts, but it was inappropriate and against the rules to enjoy that time.

foolserrand Sun 21-Oct-12 23:36:30

Once, when I was 19, I felt like a change and dressed in a school sports kit. It can still look sexy, but not quite so ick. Perhaps consider the other uniforms available? Teacher, art class, science? It doesn't all have to be St Trinian's.

LoveBox Sun 21-Oct-12 23:41:07

Yeah- wear some jogging bottoms, white polo shirt, trainers and then buy a netball vest off eBay. Sorted and not degrading.

WorraLiberty Sun 21-Oct-12 23:43:58

I think I'm probably going to get shot for saying this but the only thing imo that makes women dressed as school girls look 'ick'...is the fact they're generally over the age of 30 and fairly fat in my town - therefore it's never a good look.

Most teenage school girls would look at them in horror and in all honesty wouldn't be seen dead in what the women are wearing.

I don't think it has anything to do with inappropriate thoughts about under age girls... but it has everything to do with women looking laughable.

At least a 'Naughty Nurse' or 'Naughty Police woman' (however cheap looking the outfit) doesn't give the impression the woman thinks she can pass as a teenager.

But that's just the way I see it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now