Talk

Advanced search

to have stood my ground

(10 Posts)
PerfectStranger74 Sun 21-Oct-12 21:09:53

Yesterday I took dc 11,9,4 to kids am cinema. It's 1.75 to see a film on weekend mornings, so it's a really good offer. We got there at 10.30 (film scheduled start time) and were told it was full. So I bought tickets for this am instead, but the assistant advised me to still come early as the film was v popular and seats aren't allocated on kids am tickets, and if we left it too late we'd not get seats together. So we got there early. However, the cinema was packed, but we found some seats together. When we got there we struggled past a family of 5 (me carrying 9yo ds as he uses a wheelchair but hates craning his neck on the front row) to THEN be told by the mother that we couldn't sit there (5 spare seats) as she was saving them for her friend as they wanted to sit together, but helpfully pointed out two seats at the other end of the row. WIBU to have taken those seats? She seemed to think so, she had a tantrum and said (v P.A. to her children) that I was up my own arse. I told her not to speak like that in front of my children, and suggested she got the manager if she thought I shouldn't sit there. WHATEVER, she said. Her friend arrived 15mins after scheduled start time and was a lot more calm and reasonable.
It's thanks to mumsnet I decided to stand my ground, so if IWBU it's all your fault anyway! grin

Viperidae Sun 21-Oct-12 21:11:57

Well done you! I probably would have moved then stewed on it forever!

Dordeydoo Sun 21-Oct-12 21:13:49

Why should she be able to sit with her friend when her friend can't be arsed to get there on time!

AlmostAHipster Sun 21-Oct-12 21:14:22

I would have taken great delight in sitting in 'her' seats. How rude of her! Well done for not letting some entitled biatch spoil your outing.

CaptainVonTrapp Sun 21-Oct-12 21:14:36

I don't think YABU.

My take on the etiquette of saving seats is that you can only do it for people who are there already eg gone to the toilet.

Obviously 2 seats were no use as there were 4 of you.

As they were so late, if you hadn't taken them, I bet someone else would.

RyleDup Sun 21-Oct-12 21:16:06

Good for you op. Well done.

thefirstmrsrochester Sun 21-Oct-12 21:17:21

standing round of applause from me. I am a wimp and would have moved and seethed forever about it. well done you. I'm adding a set of balls to my Xmas list.

Frontpaw Sun 21-Oct-12 21:19:00

I would have farted throghout the film and wafted it her way.

hermioneweasley Sun 21-Oct-12 21:21:16

Well done. I hate confrontation so I probably would have split the family up or something else ridiculous, but you were perfectly entitled to use empty seats.

PerfectStranger74 Sun 21-Oct-12 21:23:29

Thanks, guys! :-D seriously, it's down to reading threads here that I DIDN'T follow my first instinct and let her have her way!

If I'd farted, the whole cinema would have been evacuated (if you listen to the over reaction of my kids!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now