Talk

Advanced search

To refuse to travel to head office in late pregnancy?

(3 Posts)
ivanapoo Sun 21-Oct-12 21:03:09

Trivial post alert...

As part of my fairly senior and reasonably paid job role I am expected to spend some time in one of my employer's offices which is almost a 2 hour drive away - maybe three or four times a month for meetings etc.

As I get closer to my EDD (currently 32 weeks) I feel increasingly uncomfortable with the idea of being in the car by myself on such a long journey down mobile reception-free roads or on the motorway in case I go into labour etc. I'm also a bit concerned about tiredness as the commute turns my 8 hour day into a 12 hour day. I'm not crazy about driving at night either but that's another matter...

I'm due to work until 38 weeks.

WIBU to say I don't want to drive there after 35 weeks? Am I being precious? AIBU to want to work until 38 weeks but not fulfil this part of my job? Would a better alternative be to say I will travel there but want to leave early to get home at a reasonable hour?

While I don't think my employer would have a major issue with it, I want to appear professional and am sensitive to colleagues thinking I'm not pulling my weight because I am pregnant. I think i would feel guilty about suggesting it TBH - but I also want to feel safe and happy.

vroomvroommum Sun 21-Oct-12 21:14:20

Just conference call and tell them it's because of the reduced environmental impact. wink

JellyBellies Sun 21-Oct-12 21:23:41

Hi, I was in the same situation. Ofice was
Two hours away and I went down once a week.

I stopped going in after 36 weeks even though I worked upto 39. I was taking the train down not driving. In fact when I mentioned it at work they were like - please, don't come!! grin
I don't know if it would have been any extra hassle to them if I had gone into labour on the train but they definitely did not want me to risk it!

I'm sure you work will be the same smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now