Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that in a time where obesity always seems to be discussed in the news....

(8 Posts)
marjproops Sun 21-Oct-12 18:24:43

(dont know if this has been discussed before) there are too many cookery programmes, and most of them are about baking cakes and fattening things?

I know it's up to the individual not to get tempted (or watch these progs either)but one minute the media are obsessing about plus sizes/size zero/obesity/anorexia and then all these progs are on? not that i really watch them but was channel hopping and there was a cake prog and full of sugar and chocolates etc etc.

Think I prefer I can cook. Katy is annoying but the recipes are fun, mostly healthy without becoming Jamie Oliver obsessed.

LonelyCloud Sun 21-Oct-12 18:26:56

Ooh yes. I watched all of the Great British Bake Off, and most of the bakes on there looked delicious. Luckily I was watching them at home and not near a cake shop grin

Purple2012 Sun 21-Oct-12 18:27:50

Yabu. I love cooking programmes, especially ones about cakes. I love making themed cakes but I dont actually eat any of the cakes I make.

marjproops Sun 21-Oct-12 18:32:39

dont get me wrong, i like a cake or cookie as much as the next person, and i do make some sometimes, it just seems a bit...you know...like in magazines when on one page they say 'lose a stone in 2 days with this healthy eating plan etc etc' and the very next page they've got a recipe for a double fudgey cakey thing!!! Ive got good willpower tho!

OddBoots Sun 21-Oct-12 18:37:09

I think I must be odd as watching food telly makes me feel satisfied rather than hungry.

Trills Sun 21-Oct-12 18:37:38

What exactly are you suggesting?

YABU if you are saying that the number of food related programmes should be restricted.

TidyGOLDDancer Sun 21-Oct-12 18:39:41

I understand what you mean, but I quite like watching cooking programmes and it doesn't make me want to eat or even make half the stuff they do.

FWIW, I have been very fat in the past (we're talking morbidly obese here btw) and am now slim. Cooking programmes don't have any bad effect on my weight.

bigbluebus Sun 21-Oct-12 19:05:40

Just because you watch cookery programmes doesn't mean you bake or even eat cake!
DH watches loads of cookery progs but has never baked a cake in the 24 yrs we have been married. I only bake cakes for birthdays and school events - so I need to know how to make cakes and like watching to get ideas - but I'm not overweight and nor is DH.
I would have thought that by far the majority of overweight/obese people are like that because they eat shop bought cakes/pastries/fatty food or just too much of the right sort of food - I doubt very much that cookery programmes on tv are responsible for their weight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now