Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To expect 5 yr old DS to spend 8 hours on a plane in only 1 pair of trousers?

(85 Posts)
firemansamisnormansdad Sun 21-Oct-12 14:04:59

i am packing to go to Orlando for half term and want to keep clothes to a minimum. Can I reasonably expect to just take 1 swim shorts, 1 shorts, 1 long trousers and wear 1 pair of jeans on plane? We're going for a week and staying in a hotel so nonwashing facilities unless we pay $100.

scentednappyhag Sun 21-Oct-12 14:06:09

One pair of trousers for a plane journey- fine.
One pair of shorts for a whole week- I think you might struggle.

bluecheesedip Sun 21-Oct-12 14:10:33

I'd probably go for 2 pairs shorts, 1 pair long trousers/joggers. If there was a problem it would be cheaper to buy something somewhere like walmart (v cheap) rather than pay $100 to wash the ones you already have!

Mrsjay Sun 21-Oct-12 14:11:28

he is going to be all sticky and sweaty pack more shorts or buy some when you are there but it is very humid and he will need changed , what if he spills food, what are you taking to wear ?

firemansamisnormansdad Sun 21-Oct-12 14:11:37

Shorts and 2 trousers?

lljkk Sun 21-Oct-12 14:15:43

What about Pyjamas?

I would do it! We (large family) go to California for a month with 3 spare outfits plus what we wear on the plane and PJs. Some extras for anyone in nappies. Works for us. You can soap out anything while you're there & hang up to dry.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 21-Oct-12 14:17:19

Even if you're only travelling with hand luggage each you'll be able to take more than that surely?!

IME 5 year olds are dirt magnets. You'll need more than 1 pair shorts

pumpkinsweetie Sun 21-Oct-12 14:17:56

1 pair of trousers for plane ride-Yes
1 swim pants-you need more
1 shorts- you need a few

confusedAre you clothes shopping whilst out there?

firemansamisnormansdad Sun 21-Oct-12 14:18:15

I know, we are taking basic summer stuff. We usually go self- catering so i've never fretted before but this time we're onsite with limited suitcase space. Thanks, will dig out another pair of shorts and ditch one pair of trousers. Will take 1 fleece for the plane and hope that lasts hmm...

Tuttutitlookslikerain Sun 21-Oct-12 14:20:00

Is there a reason why you aren't taking much?

post Sun 21-Oct-12 14:20:20

Jeans aren't so comfy though, I'd say joggers for the plane.

ZombTEE Sun 21-Oct-12 14:22:25

Why are you restricting it so much?

Enigmosaurus Sun 21-Oct-12 14:22:38

I'd take loads more than that for my five year old - at least three pairs of shorts and a couple of pairs of trousers plus plenty of tops. I'm not one for travelling light anyway but what you're planning to take doesn't seem enough to me?

NorbertDentressangle Sun 21-Oct-12 14:25:13

How many t-shirts/tops are you taking?

firemansamisnormansdad Sun 21-Oct-12 14:27:39

We have a smallish car and there are 4 of us (teenage daughter) and only 2 planeworthy suitcases. Trouble is, the smaller the person, the more clothes they need. So it's logistics really. Our cabin luggage will be full of stuff to keep him amused for 8hours.

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 21-Oct-12 14:30:14

cant you wash items in the bathroom sink?

enimmead Sun 21-Oct-12 14:31:35

Hope he's good at going to the toilet. I can see DS getting into an inflight film and forgetting to go until the no seatbelts sign comes on.

firemansamisnormansdad Sun 21-Oct-12 14:31:51

Won't be clothes shopping as staying at universal studios hotel without a car so will be just doing parks/pools every day. He 's also been wetting the bed again so inhave to take a load of pyjama pants (huggies) as he is sharing a bed with his sister! These take up loads of space.

lljkk Sun 21-Oct-12 14:32:31

It will be fine, OP, just do it.
Amazes me, there are folk on MN whose children actually own fewer clothes than OP is suggesting she'll take on holiday. They manage, too.

lljkk Sun 21-Oct-12 14:33:00

Oh... but I would take extra pants. wink

firemansamisnormansdad Sun 21-Oct-12 14:33:12

Am taking 7 tops. Can wash the clothes but will they dry in a hotel room with aircon. Don't think there will be a balcony.

seeker Sun 21-Oct-12 14:33:47

They do have things like pyjamas pants in the states you know!

lljkk Sun 21-Oct-12 14:36:33

You only need 7 night-nappies, though right? 10 at a push if he gets a terrible diarrhea bag & goes doubly incontinent? Still not a lot of luggage space needed, I think.

lljkk Sun 21-Oct-12 14:37:13

correction: bag = bug

cookielove Sun 21-Oct-12 14:37:54

The huggies you can buy when your out there, that will save space!! Everyone can have hand luggage so you could give him a back pack which he could carry on his own amusements there fore giving you more room. Take a some travel wash so you can wash things in the sink/bath when you are out there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now