Talk

Advanced search

To complain about extended opening hours?

(29 Posts)
ChickenFillet Sun 21-Oct-12 10:15:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WelshMaenad Sun 21-Oct-12 10:18:08

If its impacting on your quality of life YWNBU to complain.

LynetteScavo Sun 21-Oct-12 10:20:44

I don't think you are a kill joy.

12 sounds like a reasonable closing time to me.

GhostShip Sun 21-Oct-12 10:23:11

Pointless. They're a takeaway, most are open till that time. I think you should have taken that into account when you moved there.

I can understand that it's not nice for you, but I doubt anything will be done.

limitedperiodonly Sun 21-Oct-12 10:23:46

Complain to the council. YAnbu. You sound anything but.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sun 21-Oct-12 10:23:58

You are not being a killjoy at all. I'd say go for an 11pm closing as it's always a good hour of noise afterwards (well, it is here anyway!).

Numberlock Sun 21-Oct-12 10:24:12

Ear plugs are the answer.

LemonBreeland Sun 21-Oct-12 10:24:12

2am seems rather late for a takeaway to be open, unless you are in a city centre.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sun 21-Oct-12 10:24:52

Ghostship - that's not right (that takeways are open until that time) and the OP has said this has only just changed - so it wasn't like that when she moved in.

LST Sun 21-Oct-12 10:25:49

You can complain. But I doubt very much anything will be done.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sun 21-Oct-12 10:26:15

Earplugs are not the answer - not everyone can use them & why should they have to? These new hours are impacting the OP, she doesn't have to just go along with it.

usualsuspect3 Sun 21-Oct-12 10:26:37

Maybe they have extended their opening hours to save their business,times are hard for small businesses at the moment.

I wouldn't complain.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sun 21-Oct-12 10:26:42

LST - on what do you base that?

ChickenFillet Sun 21-Oct-12 10:26:52

GhostShip Sun 21-Oct-12 10:31:25

Chipping - every takeaway in my town opens until 2am. Some even past that. Except the chinese ones funnily enough.

It is a shame though that you have to put up with it, because as you said they weren't there when you moved in.

Unlike the people who got Wigan Pier nightclub shut down. They moved into flats KNOWING they were right next to the Pier but still complained and complained and complained...

ChickenFillet Sun 21-Oct-12 10:34:12

GhostShip Sun 21-Oct-12 10:36:40

I don't think you're being unreasonable chickenfillet, but I don't think the takeaway are either.

I'd probably be tempted to tell them to shut the fuck up ask them to be quiet.

ChickenFillet Sun 21-Oct-12 10:39:10

Trills Sun 21-Oct-12 10:41:52

The pubs in residential areas near me all have signs saying "please be considerate to our neighbours when leaving." Not sure if it will make a difference but it couldn't hurt to ask if the pubs and takeaways could put up something like that.

maddening Sun 21-Oct-12 10:56:13

I would start with environmental health at your council.

They may find that 2am is late depending on your area.

Speak to other residents to see if anyone else is affected.

Also - if they find 2am is a reasonable hour then maybe they can request that the takeaway police their customers more - e.g. asking them to be quiet/move on once they make their purchase and also maybe the local police need to include your area for greater patrols once the pubs shut?

Also look in to whether the takeaway required any license to operate and whether opening times were specified - maybe they applied to vary the license to allow to operate till 2am and as no neighbours objected - if so you may be able to request a review of the license.

You could object on basis of noise, law and order with the drunken behaviour, litter not in keeping with the area.

Whilst we are all expected to accept certain levels of noise depending on our locale - businesses do have an obligation to minimise their impact on the local area- you can't just do what you fancy in the name of profit if it causes misery for your neighbours.

MrsVincentPrice Sun 21-Oct-12 11:07:40

You could certainly ask for a "residential area, please be considerate to neighbours" sign to go up. Might help a teeny bit.

ChickenFillet Sun 21-Oct-12 11:25:39

imperialstateknickers Sun 21-Oct-12 11:38:24

The indian in a village near here has just asked to stay open til 3 a.m., I can't help wondering why? And of course it's because the pubs don't now chuck out til 2. The trouble is, the pubs and takeaways are still taking the same amount as they ever did, as there's only so much cash available to be spent. When pubs closed at 11, people went out around 9.30. Takeaway by midnight, town centre reasonably quiet by 12.30. Now, no-one's in the pub until midnight.

This is crazy, barstaff and takeaway staff have to stay up until silly o'clock which must impact on their day jobs/family life, and the punters end up with hardly any time to sleep, so spend half the day either in bed groaning or working with a hangover.

IMO the experiment with later closing times has not been successful. Bring back the 11 p.m. bell!

MummysHappyPills Sun 21-Oct-12 11:42:06

Usually opening times should take into account local residents. If it was a take away in a busy town centre that is different, but if it is a small row of shops in a residential area than you have every right to complain. The council can only gauge how people feel about it if you actually complain.

mutny Sun 21-Oct-12 14:30:48

I assume they will have applied for a permit to open that late in an area where people live.

I would complain but I think they will just have to ask people to be quiet.

I find it strange that your local pubs close at 10pm. Seems very early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now