Talk

Advanced search

To take my children out even though their GPs are coming to visit them?

(13 Posts)
ShhhhhGoBackToSleep Sun 21-Oct-12 09:41:57

Backstory: 2yo DS and 3mo DD have been up for hours and we are all bored. PILs live two hours away but refuse to visit overnight, visit more often, arrive before lunch or stay past 6pm. They then complain they don't see their grandchildren enough [hmmm] they are in their 50's, perfectly healthy and go on loads of overseas holidays.

DH had a chat with them about it and they agreed to get here about 10am today so that they could take DS to the park before lunch. They just replied to one of DH's texts to say they have just now set off. There is an event en route today that means that the journey would have been 1.5-2 hours if they set off at 8/8:30, but I reckon will be nearer 3 hours now if not longer. Clearly this will be our fault [hmmm] despite them insisting on the date even when warned about the event.

If we sit waiting in the house we will all go mad. I will ask them to let me know when they are 30 min away and will then come home in plenty of time but in my experience they won't bother. I think it will be their own fault if we then aren't there to welcome them.

So AIBU to take the children out for the morning even though we might then be back a bit late?

(p.s. I know IAabitU but I think I'm going to do it anyway!)

YellowDinosaur Sun 21-Oct-12 09:48:26

YANBU. Take the kids out. Leave your dh aft home in case they don't bother to let you know.

My mil used to do this a bit. Moaned about never seeing the boys but would only come on a specific train on sat and back on mon. And won't come at all during winter because it's cold (not in our new build house that hardly ever needs the heat on but we'll put on for her whenever she wants it isn't <mutter mutter>

Thankfully she has stopped the moaning although I don't know what happened to change things so sorry that's not much help! And now she is a pleasure to have to stay and both dh and I are a lot more inclined to go out of our way for her and accept her foibles.

Ya def nbu though - get on with your day.

charlottehere Sun 21-Oct-12 09:50:37

YANBU

overmydeadbody Sun 21-Oct-12 09:51:00

Definately take the children out!

You know roughly when the GPs will arrive, so aim to be home around then, but for goodness sake don't wait in the house for them for another few hours, what is the point of that?

So what if you're not there to greet them? Presumably DH will be?

Tuttutitlookslikerain Sun 21-Oct-12 09:52:02

If you go out now, to the park or somewhere, to run round and blow the cobwebs, why can't you come back in 2.5 hours?confused

JeezyOrangePips Sun 21-Oct-12 09:52:42

I don't think YABU, they changed their plans which means its only fair for you to fill the time somehow.

missmapp Sun 21-Oct-12 09:53:21

YANBU, the children will be in much better moods when the gp's arrive, you won't feel as annoyed with them and if you arrive back at the approx time of arrival- all will be well.

insancerre Sun 21-Oct-12 09:53:50

YANBU
Take them to the park. Leave DH at home to welcome In-laws and make the tea. He can then text you when they do arrive and you can take the DC back.

JuliaFlyte Sun 21-Oct-12 09:55:07

Go out and enjoy yourselves.

QuickLookBusy Sun 21-Oct-12 10:00:02

Yanbu

Your inlaws sound very unreasonable, so you're doing the right thing in planning your day for yourselves rather than waiting around for them all day.

slartybartfast Sun 21-Oct-12 10:00:27

will they want to go to the park in the afternoon with their grandchldren? or what will they want to do?

Pickles101 Sun 21-Oct-12 11:46:20

YANBU! Not at all. I hope you've already left & are starting on the fun! smile

clicketyclick66 Sun 21-Oct-12 14:13:00

YANBU
I hope you all went out and had a great day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now