Talk

Advanced search

to think that this isn't newsworthy?

(29 Posts)
PeggyCarter Sun 21-Oct-12 08:41:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Everlong Sun 21-Oct-12 08:47:44

Because it's a something that's just happened.

Something completely tragic that's just happened.

It matters to someone.

PeggyCarter Sun 21-Oct-12 08:52:04

FoofyShmooffer Sun 21-Oct-12 08:54:16

I see your point (I think) but surely it's because it's relevant right now.

What happened in Wales is utterly baffling, inexplicable and heartbreaking. So maybe the only thing left to do is pray?

FoofyShmooffer Sun 21-Oct-12 08:58:15

Pardon me if I've got you're point wrong by the way. I'm scouring the website on my phone and I can't find the story.

PeggyCarter Sun 21-Oct-12 09:03:44

FoofyShmooffer Sun 21-Oct-12 09:06:06

Yabu.

In the main it's a man paying tribute to his sister who died protecting her children.

I find that far more newsworthy than any of the banalities written about football or fashion that also appear on that site.

PeggyCarter Sun 21-Oct-12 09:09:02

PeggyCarter Sun 21-Oct-12 09:12:08

CwtchesAndCuddles Sun 21-Oct-12 09:12:45

If you follow the link you are referring to in "most popular stories" it takes you to the full story of the hit and run killings.

I don't understand why you are opposed to the mention of the families and injurred being prayed for? Many churches in cardiff have opened their doors to allow people to come in, light a candle, pray or just sit and contemplate what has happened.

When I am in church later today we will be praying for everyone touched by these events.

PeggyCarter Sun 21-Oct-12 09:14:42

mutny Sun 21-Oct-12 09:14:49

I think its significant that the churches are open and people are coming together to pray and contemplate what has happened.

mummytime Sun 21-Oct-12 09:54:38

It is also news as it gives information to those who might want to go and pray or have a safe space to deal with the horrific events. That side bar placing shows that lots of people were interested.

GhostShip Sun 21-Oct-12 10:25:26

YABU.

The things I don't want to hear are things like what I heard the other day. Simon Cowells friend getting divorced hmm wtf?

Hotcoffeeisamemory Sun 21-Oct-12 10:35:40

Yabu.
It's not a non story.

Cahoots Sun 21-Oct-12 10:36:10

It is currently the most read news article on the BBC. I guess people are interested but I see your point. It is sad

I found the article about the brilliant Doctor being killed in Australia surprisingly popular too. I wonder if he had been unemployed if he would have still made the news.

Yesterday's main new item on our local radio stations was "Wear-Tyne derby" (this afternoon). How is that news at all? There is a scheduled football match which presumably has been known about for a few weeks. And it's football.

I've started a thread on this before and been told IABU.

Can I just point out this was the main news news story, not top of the sport news. It makes me, justifiably or not, extremely angry.

kim147 Sun 21-Oct-12 10:40:59

AuntieStella Sun 21-Oct-12 10:44:42

If you mean the BBC website: this is the story. There are two links to it; one refers to the prayers and one to the tribute.

There are often Sunday morning stories which give personal colour to the main news of the week. This one is heartbreaking.

Cahoots Sun 21-Oct-12 10:49:45

A few weeks ago our local newspapers front page news story was about a little girl who had lost and then found her dog. Admittedly, they were both cute smile but it was hardly news, let alone front page news.

LottieJenkins Sun 21-Oct-12 10:54:02

Im sure it is newsworthy to the family of the lady who died and those who were injured!!!

PeggyCarter Sun 21-Oct-12 10:58:18

PeggyCarter Sun 21-Oct-12 11:00:48

LottieJenkins Sun 21-Oct-12 11:29:50

I would like to think that people were praying yes.........................

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now