Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if the younger members of the Royal Family are Christian

(30 Posts)
kim147 Sat 20-Oct-12 21:46:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Snazzyspookyandscary Sat 20-Oct-12 21:50:39

I think they probably go along with it. Charles has some, ahem, interesting views that don't fit that comfortably with straightforward CofE membership. They all know that if they want to be crowned they have to play the game, though.

RobynRidingHood Sat 20-Oct-12 21:50:48

What is the AIBU?

Other peoples faith is none of my business nor do I wonder about it.

hiddenhome Sat 20-Oct-12 21:52:10

I think by the time William is crowned, the Church of England will probably have been dismantled and done away with.

kim147 Sat 20-Oct-12 21:53:10

PinkFairyDust Sat 20-Oct-12 21:53:56

Very very very unlikely that they would say they don't believe in god if they were royalty

X

KD0706 Sat 20-Oct-12 22:46:19

I don't think they are particularly religious as (as far as I'm aware), there's not been much chat in any interviews etc about their faith.

The people I know who believe in god speak about it, eg saying something is a blessing, saying they'll pray for me if I have problems.

My personal opinion is that they just keep their heads down and go along with it.

AgentZigzag Sat 20-Oct-12 22:48:27

They give the outward signs that they do.

What they think privately is their own business.

not that it matters, them being lizards and all

BartletForTeamGB Sat 20-Oct-12 23:01:50

I really believe that the Queen is a Christian, but I would be surprised if Charles or William were. Yes, they've been confirmed but I'd guess that that was done because It Should Be Done.

kim147 Sat 20-Oct-12 23:08:10

AgentZigzag Sat 20-Oct-12 23:23:06

How do you feel about people in public office who don't have to say what they believe, openly saying they're a committed Christian or Muslim kim?

kim147 Sat 20-Oct-12 23:25:21

lovebunny Sun 21-Oct-12 01:14:06

i'm not looking to make windows into men's souls.

ScarePhyllis Sun 21-Oct-12 01:46:07

It's not for me or anyone else to question why people go to church or what they really believe.

Don't see it as an issue for those in public office - MPs and privy counsellors can affirm instead of swearing the Oath of Allegiance and have been able to do so since the late 1800s. And I can't think of any MP who makes a big deal of being religious "because it's expected". Ed Miliband is an atheist and it doesn't seem to have affected him. In fact the way it seems to work is that those who are genuinely religious don't make a big hoo hah of it while in office (some NI MPs excepted).

I think even the Act of Settlement phrases it as something like "the monarch shall be in communion with the C of E", rather than, "they have to be a true believer".

solidgoldbrass Sun 21-Oct-12 01:54:31

An awful lot of white, middle- and upper-class people are culturally Christian ie they do church for weddings, funerals, christenings and Christmas. Some of them might also have a vague sort of belief in a god ie some sort of benevolent invisible Something. That isn't necessarily a bad thing.

However I am still bemused by the fact that people sufficiently educated to be able to drive cars and use microwaves actually believe in gods - or fairies, or homeopathy. It's just patently ridiculous.

AgentZigzag Sun 21-Oct-12 01:58:42

I'm not too bothered by hypocrisy if it's a person holding two genuine contradictory beliefs at the same time, rather than saying one thing/doing another for their own benefit.

So taking hypocrisy in that sense isn't the same as it showing the person up as being deliberately deceptive, and that being indicative of them possibly not being honest in other areas of their life.

Because I think that's what you're getting at, is it OP? That you don't feel comfortable with them doing one thing but thinking another?

But I bet you do it all the time, not saying something out loud because you know convention will judge you harshly on it? Of course what a future head of the C of E genuinely feels about God is more important to a lot of people than an everyday conversation, but so long as they do their 'job' they can think what they like about it privately, same as any other employee.

Loveweekends10 Sun 21-Oct-12 05:38:01

Don't give a flying f* actually. He could be pagan, Buddhist or Hindu for all I care.
These are the two things in life I care least about. Religion and the royal family.

BartletForTeamGB Sun 21-Oct-12 08:40:27

:However I am still bemused by the fact that people sufficiently educated to be able to drive cars and use microwaves actually believe in gods - or fairies, or homeopathy. It's just patently ridiculous."

Whereas I am always amazed that intelligent people DON'T believe in God, given the vast amount of documentary evidence and instead think themselves to be clever by sniggering without properly looking into things on the risk that they might realise it is real! smile

Badvoc Sun 21-Oct-12 08:44:51

I think the Queen is a commited christian.
Not sure any of the others are though.

Xnedra Sun 21-Oct-12 08:55:09

* Prays for disestablishmentism *

mellen Sun 21-Oct-12 09:03:18

"Whereas I am always amazed that intelligent people DON'T believe in God, given the vast amount of documentary evidence and instead think themselves to be clever by sniggering without properly looking into things on the risk that they might realise it is real!"

confused

AuntieStella Sun 21-Oct-12 09:07:54

You can't tell a Christian just by looking. Not all talk about their faith.

The acts done by Royal family show they are committed communicant members of CofE.

solidgoldbrass Sun 21-Oct-12 09:55:28

What on earth is there in the way of actual evidence that anyone's imaginary friend is 'real'? I mean proper, peer-reviewed evidence, not Bronze Age fairytales.

kim147 Sun 21-Oct-12 10:01:19

BerthaKitt Sun 21-Oct-12 10:11:25

"Whereas I am always amazed that intelligent people DON'T believe in God, given the vast amount of documentary evidence and instead think themselves to be clever by sniggering without properly looking into things on the risk that they might realise it is real!"

Hold on a second. There is real proven evidence showing the existence of a god? This is very significant! I really think you should hand it over to the Church and not keep it to yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now