Talk

Advanced search

To not want to go to reunion

(14 Posts)
Loveweekends10 Sat 20-Oct-12 21:07:43

I completed my nurse training in 1991. To be honest at the time I was not sad to leave most of the girls I as trained with ( mainly because I had suffered a traumatic family event during my training and for whatever reason I did not feel I could share it with anyone in that group).
Anyway 25 years later and via Facebook a reunion has been arranged which they are all getting fired up about and all it's oing is reminding me of a time I wish to forget.
Do I go? Or do I make an excuse and not go? AIBU?

Euphemia Sat 20-Oct-12 21:42:06

YANBU. I can't imagine why you're even entertaining the idea.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 20-Oct-12 21:49:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lovebunny Sat 20-Oct-12 23:43:22

they can't insist you go! do something else instead. i don't see my former schoolfriends. i'm sure they're very nice women but i'm happy with my family and my work and don't want to relive old times i didn't enjoy.

threesocksonathreeleggedwitch Sat 20-Oct-12 23:45:20

yanbu
I am the same with school, so would say don't go.

mrsfuzzy Sat 20-Oct-12 23:50:25

everyone is right on this on, don't upset yourself about it, you don't need to explain, if anyone asks, you're not available end of.

Wingedharpy Sun 21-Oct-12 02:18:35

My view is that there's a reason why you don't maintain contact with all old friends/colleagues.
If they haven't been in your life for 20 years, they don't need to be in it now - unless you invite them in.
If you don't want to go then don't go.
We're all different.

missingmumxox Sun 21-Oct-12 02:36:36

don't go, I started my nurse training in 1990, and 5 of us have managed periodic catch ups, last in 2005 next in 2013, we don't invite the others because we had nothing in common and during out training another 10 met up all the time and still do, some believe it or not have already retired, most of my set are in their 60's now.
3 of my set from us youngsters smile are missing in action. their is only 1 of the older lot I would like to see again as she was not judgemental of us younger ones and was very supportive of me, but she will def be retired as she was 47 when she qualified, she moved to back Ireland, then I heard a rumour she had died, never confirmed.
1 of my set older ones was struck off within a year, so thats us.

deleted203 Sun 21-Oct-12 02:45:05

YANBU. Why should you feel the need to meet up with people you last saw 25 years ago and were glad to see the back of? I wouldn't make an excuse, either. I would just ignore any communication from this group. Just because they have announced a Facebook reunion group it doesn't mean you need to join in at all.

musicalendorphins Sun 21-Oct-12 03:49:56

No, don't go.

Hyperballad Sun 21-Oct-12 03:58:43

Bugger that! Plan to do one of your favourite things to do at the same time as it on, then you won't even have to think about it!

FolkGhoul Sun 21-Oct-12 06:17:23

If you didn't feel that you could share your traumatic with these people.

And it reminds you of a time you'd rather forget.

And you don't want to go.

So don't go.

I've never gone to a school/university reunion either. I can't see the point.

pigletmania Sun 21-Oct-12 09:12:25

No just say you have made other plans, don't go

diddl Sun 21-Oct-12 09:18:56

They are not compulsory!

Why do you even need an excuse?

No thank you is surely enough?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now