Talk

Advanced search

To think actually most 4 year olds wouldn't try and touch a moving car?

(9 Posts)
RollingThunder Sat 20-Oct-12 17:07:47

Ds has SEN but its always hard to be sure what is the SEN and what isn't.

Today he reached out to try and touch a moving car (in a car park, not going that fast, but still!)

I think this is part of the SEN, dh thinks boys that age just do things like that. Who is right?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sat 20-Oct-12 17:10:38

I think you both could be. I think 4 is very little for children to really grasp the concept of the danger of moving cars. I've worked with kids with and without SEN and have seen children in both settings try to touch moving vehicles.

Inneedofbrandy Sat 20-Oct-12 17:49:52

My ds when he was 4 would lunge at busses! He didn't have no fear at all of busses cars ect and he doesn't have SEN.

Startailoforangeandgold Sat 20-Oct-12 18:04:27

Neither of my dDs would have tried to touch a moving car at 4.

DD2 might have walked straight out behind it, she's was utterly hopeless in car parks. But not deliberately touch it.

DD1 would have treated a moving car with just the same respect as an adult from 2.5.

Cars, car parks and roads are the only thing she isn't dizzy and dyslexic with.

SilverCharm Sat 20-Oct-12 18:16:14

I think you're right. My DD is 4 and very daring and into exploring physically but I can't envision that.

TinyDancingHoofer Sat 20-Oct-12 18:55:22

My friends DD is constantly trying to stroke cars, bikes, buses, she is not SEN (sorry i don't know the correct term for non-SEN, is there one?) and is very nearly four. Anything moving past, she tries to touch.
I think some children just do stuff and others don't, the way some bolt and others don't.

RollingThunder Sat 20-Oct-12 21:18:29

Tinydancinghoofer, I would use the expression, NT, neuro typicsl

RollingThunder Sat 20-Oct-12 21:19:50

Neuro typical! But that is because if ds's specific SEN.

Interesting range of views, I guess it depends on the child.

TinyDancingHoofer Sat 20-Oct-12 22:44:31

NT, well you learn something new everyday smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now