Talk

Advanced search

Pantomime. What a load of absolute shit.

(61 Posts)
StillIRise Sat 20-Oct-12 16:40:55

Cringworthy, embarassing, noisy, other peoples children being loud. Men pretending to be women. Sexist jokes. Women pretending to be men. Precocious children trying to dance. Shit music.
Keith Chegwin in Aladdin.

Everything about the human race i cannot abide.

Notquite Sat 20-Oct-12 16:41:23

Oh no it isn't.

hobnobsaremyfave Sat 20-Oct-12 16:41:50

Oh no it's not.................... grin

Actually OP i agree!!

Notquite Sat 20-Oct-12 16:42:13

Actually, oh yes it is.

CailinDana Sat 20-Oct-12 16:42:58

YANBU. I would rather have dental surgery than go to a pantomime.

BabiesOnSpikes Sat 20-Oct-12 16:44:50

YANBU

Although, did get dragged to one when my little brother was about 7 and he heckled the performers grin They were so thrown by it they all got giggles on stage and forgot their lines

DameMargotFountain Sat 20-Oct-12 16:45:51

encouraged heckling, sweets, fizzy drinks, DCs laughing, silly songs, the local AmDram get to make a bit of money to fund the almost always self-indulgent spring show, jokes that DGF will laugh at

what's not to like grin

Sirzy Sat 20-Oct-12 16:49:18

Don't go to them then! I love them and can't wait to take Ds to his first proper one this year!

RuleBritannia Sat 20-Oct-12 16:49:22

Pantomines used to be are pretty good. Don't know about Keith Chegwin though!

We went to see Roy Castle in Babes in the Wood at Fairfield Halls Croydon about 40 years ago. A volunteer was wanted. My son (7) moved more quickly than he ever had at home to get up onto the stage with him and we were several rows back.

A bit of bribery was useful about the next year's pantomime if he still left clothes on the floor, made a mess on the dining table, didn't clean his teeth.

Jakadaal Sat 20-Oct-12 16:51:42

Huge tradition for us every New Years Eve - DC love it and its lovely to see them happy and laughing and so excited

HolofernesesHead Sat 20-Oct-12 16:55:10

YABU! There's nothing like a dame! smile

NotGeoffVader Sat 20-Oct-12 16:55:28

Behind you!

(Just picking up where notquite and hobnobs left off)

GlaikitFizZombie Sat 20-Oct-12 16:56:35

Yabu. Panto is fab fun, especially if its am dram. Those precious kids will learn so much about respect, the importance of learning/practicing, confidence. Sure as hell beats hanging out at the park with a bottle of md2020! It's a great hobby to have.

However, yanbu about cheggers <cringe>

Leeds2 Sat 20-Oct-12 16:58:58

I loathe pantos with a vengeance. I'm glad that DD doesn't enjoy them either!

oddslippers Sat 20-Oct-12 17:02:06

The best ones are the rock and roll ones with a small cast and fantastic live music as for the rest I have to agree

MollyMurphy Sat 20-Oct-12 17:02:06

It not Shakespere but I think a Pantomime can be good family fun myself

DoubleWankAndShitChips Sat 20-Oct-12 17:03:43

YA so NBU OP. I like not one single thing about any of it. Is it a peculiarly British thing? I think so.

ScatterChasse Sat 20-Oct-12 17:06:17

I love going to the pantomime! A theatre near us started putting them on when I was 6 or so, and I've been every year since.

It's actually only in the last couple of years I started getting the ruder jokes blush

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 20-Oct-12 17:08:57

I hate them. I think to enjoy you have to be either pissed or a child.

Faverolles Sat 20-Oct-12 17:10:52

YABU and obviously haven't been to a good panto smile

Kennyp Sat 20-Oct-12 17:13:14

i lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve a good pant. -o. boom boom.

i wet myself laughing, eat minstrels and get covered in glitter. (i end up damp, fatter and sparkly. gorgeous)

I hate them too, absolutely toe-curlingly awful. The try too hard topical jokes are the worst bit.

2blessed Sat 20-Oct-12 17:13:47

I used to loathe panto but I absolutely love them now. Hackney empire is the best imho.

wigglybeezer Sat 20-Oct-12 17:14:08

I hate them but luckily my children hate them too, so I am spared taking them.

2blessed Sat 20-Oct-12 17:14:48

In london anyway. Nottingham playhouse do a great one also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now