Talk

Advanced search

to expect DS to wear something luminous when he cycles to work in the dark?

(28 Posts)
adogcalledbetty Sat 20-Oct-12 07:36:21

DS is 19 and thinks its okay to cycle to work at 6am wearing his usual daytime cycle gear. He has lights on his bike, but thats it.

I think in order to stay alive for much longer he needs to be dressed up like a Christmas tree wear something luminous.

I know he's old enough to make his own choices and purchases, but its not an issue to him. Any of you cycling types know of anything trendy I could get him that he might deem to wear to keep me sane ?

Glittertwins Sat 20-Oct-12 07:37:47

Have a look at wiggle.com. They usually have pretty good gear in worn by the top cyclists so that might appeal to him.

TantrumsAndBalloons Sat 20-Oct-12 07:40:15

I dont know of anything trendy but ds1 (13) has to wear a hi vis jacket when he rides home from footie training. He doesn't particularly like it but it's the choice between that or walking!

Have a look in Halfords, they do hi vis stuff, I guess some of it might be a bit trendier.

adogcalledbetty Sat 20-Oct-12 07:49:28

Thanks for the suggestions - will have a look.

Lilicat1013 Sat 20-Oct-12 07:56:54

You can get hi visability bag covers for backpacks (if he uses one). He can take it off as soon as he gets where he is going and hide it in his bag as they fold up small.

You can also get coats with reflective piping, that is quite subtle.

Himalaya Sat 20-Oct-12 07:57:03

I have this argument with my DS all the time. I can't get him to wear hi viz, but he does have a hi viz bag.

Does your DS carry a back pack? You can get hi viz/ reflective covers that go over a back pack to keep it dry and that look cooler than a Sam Brownie belt.

FredFredGeorge Sat 20-Oct-12 08:34:34

It shouldn't make much difference against lights and reflectors on the bike. If it does I'd say he's inadequately lit on the bike.

SilverCharm Sat 20-Oct-12 08:41:17

Yanbu...we all do....DH, the DC and I.

whois Sat 20-Oct-12 11:27:27

+1 for the luminous backpack covers. There is one make that lottery 99% of bikers with backpacks have in london and its very visible (and keeps your laptop dry inside). It doesn't look anywhere near as daft as my high via vest!

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 20-Oct-12 11:46:15

YANBU! High vis stuff makes such a difference in the dark!

FredFredGeorge Sat 20-Oct-12 12:46:27

High vis stuff makes very little difference in the dark - reflective stuff makes a difference in the dark, High-Vis requires bright light to be visible (it's because it reflects UV light as visible light - without the UV light there's nothing to reflect - in the dark there's very little UV light, headlights etc. don't put much out at all)

Of course lots of High Vis jackets will also include reflective elements because of this, but if it's dark you don't need the yellow (generally) bits you just need the reflective bits, and in low light overcast conditions the contrast against a dark colour can actually be better.

Collaborate Sat 20-Oct-12 12:55:53

I have flashing pedals on my bike. Works off the energy generated by pedalling. They're great! Never forget to take them anywhere, and I'm always visible from the side (essential at roundabouts). He won't mind having them on his bike too.

Cahoots Sat 20-Oct-12 13:04:07

Reflective stickers on helmet and all overbike and lights on helmets work well.

MadameCreeper Sat 20-Oct-12 13:16:26

As a driver I think the backpack covers are really effective. There are some cyclists around here that don't realise how invisible they are.

sayayetaeapie Sat 20-Oct-12 14:29:32

Ikea family do a hi-vis / very reflective vest for £4, way cheaper than most cycle places. He can wear it over normal clothes, then take it off before anyone at work sees him if he thinks he looks daft smile easy

youarewinning Sat 20-Oct-12 14:34:44

Aldi have some nice luminous yellow waterproof cyclist jackets in this week for £19.99.

I actually considered buying one for running in! But they also have womans gilets that are reversable - black and hi vis.

piprabbit Sat 20-Oct-12 14:40:58

Would he be prepared to add these iron on decals to his existing kit? There's quite a lot of choice and they aren't obviously for safety.
I've got some very simple line ones that I've ironed on my running jacket and they seem to be working well.

Lueji Sat 20-Oct-12 14:50:56

You could try the reverse psychology route of buying life insurance in his name, tell him not to wear anything and start making plans for what you'll do with the money. hmm

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 20-Oct-12 14:51:22

Have a look around, you can get some pretty cool all black jackets that have black Scotch lite on them. Something like this:

www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/jackets-cycle-endura-urban-sofshell-jacket/enduzjac510

Startailoforangeandgold Sat 20-Oct-12 15:11:04

Another vote for fluorescent, reflective bits on backpacks.

They are nicely at drivers eye hight and they move as you pedal.

Cycle lights are not as bright as car lights. In traffic especially on wet nights with reflections off the road and wet screens they vanish.

Reflective/ fluorescent backpacks, jackets, bright helmets they are all great because they don't look or move like part of a car. They catch the attention.

SugarPastePumpkin Sat 20-Oct-12 16:06:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nocake Sat 20-Oct-12 16:12:26

If he's not keen on hi vis you can get black clothing that is reflective. I have a pair of running leggings that look almost completely black but have reflective patches. Pair up that sort of reflective jacket with two really bright rear lights (one flashing and one not) and a bright front light of the "oh my god, my eyes" variety and he should be much safer at night.

Of course in the day he should wear hi vis to be safer.

SugarPastePumpkin Sat 20-Oct-12 16:17:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ithinkitsjustme Sat 20-Oct-12 16:22:17

Several lights - not just one is far better, and some flashing ones that really grab the eye as well as the one steady required light as well. I also wear reflective trouser straps that keep my trousers away from the gears but also appear to flash in the headlights. Very important to make sure that lights are clean aswell, as mud and water from wet roads can easily obscure them. Bright colours for daytime riding. Cycling is great but you do have to make sure that you are very visible.

Ithinkitsjustme Sat 20-Oct-12 16:23:15

People in wheelchairs and using disability scooters should take a leaf out of cyclists books as well, they are a nightmare to see when they are on the road.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now