Talk

Advanced search

Becky Godden-Edwards

(30 Posts)
BegoniaBampot Sat 20-Oct-12 00:21:14

just sad for her parents that the man who killed her will never be held accountable for her murder under a technicality. Bad enough to to have lost their daughter in such circumstances but to have any chance of justice or to make him stand in court and answer to her murder just swept away as though she were unimportant must be awful.

Christopher Halliwell was found guilty of the murder of Sian O'Callaghan and sentenced to 25 years today but feel sad that Becky Is basically just pushed aside.

and cheers to the defence lawyers who pushed for both sets of murder charges to be dropped on this technicality even though there was no doubt that Halliwell was guilty.

JeezyOrangePips Sat 20-Oct-12 00:25:53

I agree. So sad, especially when he admitted guilt so early on.

I think in cases as clear cut as this one, there should be some leeway allowed despite the fact that the police didn't caution him at the right time.

At least, however, he has been jailed and they know that he isn't free to do this to someone else.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 20-Oct-12 00:31:28

The defence lawyers were just doing their job. Defence barristers don't stand up in court defending vile (but potentially innocent) people for the fun of it. The police didn't follow procedure and it was purely by luck they found non circumstantial evidence regarding Sian O'Callaghan's murder.

It is terribly sad and unjust that he wasn't sentenced for Becky Godden-Edwards murder too. Because to a layman,he obviously murdered her. In court,it can't just be obvious...there must be non circumstantial evidence. The police in this instance seem to have had the best intentions but acted wrongly. I feel so sad for her family.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 20-Oct-12 00:36:21

Also there are procedures regarding cautions and arrests for a reason. It is not "merely" a technicality. It is part of the justice system.for a reason. The men sentences and now found innocent regarding Lynette Whites murder were arrested before these procedures were in place. They were innocent. It was a miscarriage of justice. It ruined people's lives and the real murderer is now presumed to have died. The procedures are in place to prevent things like that happening.

Again,I feel terribly sad for Becky Godden-Edwards family. Life is really bloody unfair at times and I sincerely hope at some point in the future evidence of a non circumstantial nature is found.

JeezyOrangePips Sat 20-Oct-12 00:40:48

This is also a miscarriage of justice though, because of these procedures.

I absolutely agree there should be safeguards, of course there should. But if what I know of this case is true, then there is no reasonable doubt. The safeguards to protect the innocent are protecting the guilty.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 20-Oct-12 11:31:03

The safeguards are there to protect the potentially innocent.

It isn't even for it to be cut and dried,it isn't how the justice system works. It can't just be "obvious" there has to be evidence of a non circumstantial nature. The outcome is terribly sad but it is not miscarriage of justice.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 20-Oct-12 11:32:30

*it isn't enough for it cut and dried from the outside looking in.

First sentence got autocorrected!

JeezyOrangePips Sat 20-Oct-12 13:18:20

No, I'm sure a confession and leading police to thd grave (to thd point of pacing the distance) leaves a huge amount of room for doubt.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 20-Oct-12 14:02:49

It was inadmissable because they didn't follow procedure. That evidence could not be presented to a jury in court. It wasn't regarding Sian O'Callaghan either. It just happened other evidence was found connecting him to her murder.

When people are arrested the police can't drive them round for 4 hours before taking them to the police station. It's not a lawful arrest.

JeezyOrangePips Sat 20-Oct-12 14:08:25

Well, obviously they can. They did. Therein lies the problem.

I realise that the evidence was inadmissible. I realise that is where the issue lies.

But in a case this cut and dry, it's a complete travesty.

I find it odd that you think it's okay that he has, effectively, got away with murder.

LadyWidmerpool Sat 20-Oct-12 15:06:56

You can't send a message that proper procedure doesnt matter. That's a recipe for corruption and a police state.

JeezyOrangePips Sat 20-Oct-12 15:16:49

Well stupid me for wishing there was a way around this.

I realise I am being unreasonable in thinking there should be a way for justice to be done in this case.

BegoniaBampot Sat 20-Oct-12 17:37:32

I understand about the procedures and how they are in place to protect everyone whether innocent or guilty. I have always agrued on the side of defence lawyers doing a good job for their client as obviously it is important that everyone has a strong defence whiter innocent or guilty.

but I can't have any respect for people (even if just doing their job) who would see a guilty man walk free from two murders because of a technicality as in this case. some defence lawyers may not know whether their client is truly innocent or guilty, they often know he is guilty but do what they can to get a better outcome. To me this case is different.

And for Halliwell, I wonder if he knew he was actually helping his case by making his confession and showing where Becky was buried before he was properly cautioned and given access to legal advice.

yes, I'm being emotional but it is just such a shocking and close and shut case, that to get off on a technicality for such an evil premeditated act is very frustrating to say the least. How the families feel I'd rather not even think about.

MyLastDuchess Sat 20-Oct-12 18:07:43

I agree with you. I believe strongly in the proper procedures and that they are necessary in order to protect the innocent (don't care too much about the guilty!) But I do find the whole thing so bloody ridiculous and unfair.

I am just glad that Becky's mother has got closure by finally being able to know what happened to her daughter (well at least, knowing that she is no longer alive and where her body is) and I admire the officer involved for putting his job on the line in an attempt to save Sian O'Callaghan's life. Sure, he should have followed proper procedure. But I still admire him.

BegoniaBampot Sat 20-Oct-12 18:41:45

Yes agreed, I feel for the officer. he didn't follow the rules as such but he had Sian's welfare as his priority. I wouldn't want to see him suffer for his actions.

NiamhConnolly Sat 20-Oct-12 23:14:27

If it was my child who was missing, I'd want someone like that copper on the case for sure.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 20-Oct-12 23:28:45

Jeezy - I don't think it's "okay" he got away with murder. Where do I say that? I know the law and can separate it from personal feelings. There was no admissible evidence therefore,in court, it was not cut and dried. The law can't be changed to suit our personal feelings on a case to case basis

Niamh - the police officers actions resulted in the evidence regarding Becky Godden-Edwards murder being inadmissable. It is his fault. I cannot believe you would want him on the case if it was your child.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 20-Oct-12 23:32:06

I do in a way admire the police officer,he clearly had the absolute best intentions at heart but it's not 1975 anymore and there are procedures that must be followed.

BegoniaBampot Sat 20-Oct-12 23:35:28

The child missing in question was Sian O'Callaghan who they still hoped might be alive somewhere. They took a gamble hoping they might still be able save her. At this point they knew nothing of Becky.

JeezyOrangePips Sat 20-Oct-12 23:38:19

Well, you seem to think that the fact he wasn't convicted was the right result.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 20-Oct-12 23:57:36

Jeezy - it was the right result. Legally speaking. Not morally speaking. But the law isn't about keeping people morally happy.

It is without a doubt a terrible further tragedy for Becky Godden Edwards family.

If that police officer had followed procedure then prosecution would have been able to use the evidence. He did not,they could not.

LibrarianByDay Sun 21-Oct-12 00:17:12

Without doubt it is a tragedy for Becky Godden-Edwards family that he cannot be prosecuted for her murder. However, as I understand it, the failure to follow proper procedure which means he cannot be prosecuted is what also means that Becky's family finally know what happened to her. If the police had followed proper procedure, Becky's body may never have been found.

JeezyOrangePips Sun 21-Oct-12 00:17:49

Well, surely if you regard it as the right result you are okay with him getting away with murder.

limitedperiodonly Sun 21-Oct-12 07:06:04

It's horribly sad.
YY to alis who's not condoning what was done by the killer.

JeezyOrangePips Sun 21-Oct-12 07:17:14

I didn't say she was condoning what he did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now