Talk

Advanced search

Telephone scammers

(17 Posts)
longingforsomesleep Fri 19-Oct-12 21:53:59

More of a "is it unusual" than "AIBU" but I couldn't think where else to post. I cannot believe the number of scam phone calls we get, or phone calls trying to get money out of us. We probably get at least 2 automated ppi calls a day. Plus, we've had the microsoft scam (designed to give remote pc access to the scammers) about 5 times in recent months. We've had people ring up numerous times claiming they provide our Sky insurance and just need to 'check our bank details' so they can make a small reduction to our monthly payments. Today I had the best one ever - someone who rang to say she knew we were getting a lot of nuisance calls and her company could deal with it for the small payment of £5 - if I would just be kind enough to give her some details so she could arrange payment from my bank .......

And so on and so on. Do other people get as many calls like this or have we just been careless with our telephone number when buying stuff online etc.

And more importantly, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make it stop!! We're with the telephone preference service, but these calls are all 'number withheld' or from abroad. I try to remember to check the caller ID before I pick up but sometimes do it automatically. Or else one of the kids answers and hands me the phone. It's driving me round the bend!!

CruCru Fri 19-Oct-12 21:56:30

I get loads. I tend to only answer if it is a number I recognise. If I do answer and there is a pause after I've said hello, I hang up.

ZovutZovut Fri 19-Oct-12 21:57:00

Weirdly since going with TPS I've had MORE calls. I'd never before had a call from 'microsoft customer support' or anyone ringing about my 'accident'.

I'd like a solution too. I've tried blocking numbers too, but the BT service doesn't work for all numbers. I even get about ten PPI calls to the SCHOOL office each day.

CrikeyOHare Fri 19-Oct-12 21:57:54

I'm on TPS too, and I still get loads of calls from these fuckers. Drives me mad.

I have unplugged my LL now and told anyone that needs me to text my mobile. Not possible for everyone to do, I know.

blue2 Fri 19-Oct-12 21:58:44

Hi Longing
I'm on the "Microsoft PC Service Centre - We believe you have a problem with your PC. Just hand over your details and we'll sort it" - and WHY is it always Brian calling (from Delhi?!)
We get that almost every day. Does my head in. sad

The Telephone Pref Service say they cannot bar calls from overseas, so they can't stop these people. Seems a bit pointless, now as all the nuisance calls are untraceable.

So - I totally sympathise, but have no advice....

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Fri 19-Oct-12 21:59:16

consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2012/10/tackling-nuisance-calls-and-messages/ has some advice

blue2 Fri 19-Oct-12 21:59:25

Oh, and I have a Mac - not a PC!

longingforsomesleep Fri 19-Oct-12 22:00:48

Oh yes, I forgot about the accident scam. Had that one last week!

The thing that really bothers me is the thought that these people are ringing vulnerable people. I took the phone off my 89 year old mum at the weekend when I heard her saying "I don't know what ppi is". I told the bloke on the other end, quite politely, that we weren't interested and he said in apparent disbelief, "why?" When I said that was none of his business and would he remove the number from his database he said, "well REALLY!!!".

Startailoforangeandgold Fri 19-Oct-12 22:00:49

The MS ones drive me mental. I can't resort to my mobile as the signal in the house can't be relied on.

DorisIsWaiting Fri 19-Oct-12 22:05:46

I tend to let them go on and on for a bit then just humour them (if I've got time) a few "oh yes?" and "reaaally?" see how long it takes them to work out I'm taking the piss. And I ALWAYS (politely) ask them to take my number of their system.

We get very few calls nowadays (once everycouple of months) I'm also with TPS.

MadgeHarvey Fri 19-Oct-12 22:08:31

strop - think your link is a duffer - which is a shame because I'd like to read it!

pamish Fri 19-Oct-12 22:18:59

I've taken to speaking in tongues. I'm getting quite good at it. When they can't understand me, I SHOUT in tongues.

DPotter Fri 19-Oct-12 22:27:05

Not a scam, but had a call from a gym I used to belong to- very friendly chap introduced himself politely, and then he asked in a most patronising tone ' how are U managing to maintain your health & fitness now you don't belong to the gym?' Told him the question was impertinent and not to call again. Nearly said 'Young man' just managed to bite that back.

PigletJohn Fri 19-Oct-12 23:24:32

just get Caller Display and let them go to answerphone if overseas.

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Fri 19-Oct-12 23:30:05

oops

consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2012/10/scams/

underthepalmtrees Fri 19-Oct-12 23:31:26

We registered with TPS a few years ago, and it stopped for a while. A few years down the line though, and they're starting with the 'marketing research and surveys' shit again.
So, basically, short of unplugging your landline during the day (which we tend to do!) if, on answering, there's a pause after you say hello, and/or/ background noise then it's a fecking call centre and you need to hang up. smile

PigletJohn Fri 19-Oct-12 23:43:10

TPS is a UK regulation.

Overseas scammers are not bound by it and there is no sanction.

But caller display and answerphone will filter them out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now