Talk

Advanced search

To find it sad that so many children dressed as footballers for Heros day

(49 Posts)
LaurieBlueBell Fri 19-Oct-12 17:54:12

My dc had to dress as a someone they thought was a hero today. So amongst the doctors, nurses, firefighters, police, solders, sailors etc a large proportion of the boys were dressed as footballers.

Couldn't parents explain the difference between a overpaid moron with less integrity than a pumpkin, and someone who is willing to put there life on the line for the safety of others.

boredandrestless Fri 19-Oct-12 17:55:37

I agree with you but perhaps it was more that their parents couldn't afford a fancy dress outfit so the kids got put in their footy kits?

Tiredmumno1 Fri 19-Oct-12 17:56:12

I was thinking the same as bored

boredandrestless Fri 19-Oct-12 18:00:28

I know on World Book Day my son's school now says "No football kits" but to be honest this just means the kids who's mums can't afford fancy dress stand out in normal clothes or their school uniform while all the other kids are dressed up.

cakebar Fri 19-Oct-12 18:00:34

If I had to do this their hero would be based on stuff I already had, hence footballers for some people (In our case we have a fireman outfit, I could probably find a sports outfit). Same for world book day. Days like this at school are extremely stupid. Why can't they do artwork based on heros or stories or drama instead they have a 'how much time/money do your parents have and how much do they care' competition hmm

Fakebook Fri 19-Oct-12 18:03:02

cakebar, just buy one biggish cheap outfit and make them wear it every year.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Fri 19-Oct-12 18:03:15

I would guess that many of them are dressed as footballers just ecause it's an easy outfit and parents don't have to waste time finding a doctor/soldier/firefighter outfit that will fit a child in y 5 or 6.

Panzee Fri 19-Oct-12 18:04:00

Usually it's the kids who hate dressing up who wear the kits in our school.

Anyway, what's wrong with admiring footballers? Just because lots of them are idiots doesn't mean there's not intelligence involved in their craft. They have to work as a team, read the game, make strategic and tactical decisions as well as be at the peak of physical fitness.

It does sound a little snobby to look down on footballers just because one of them is John Terry.

LordFlasheart Fri 19-Oct-12 18:08:41

we had aspiration day today, is that the same thing? Was only for reception. We had 2 hairdressers, :-)

AnnaFalactic Fri 19-Oct-12 18:10:19

Our kids must go to the same school - DD had to dress as her hero today. For her it was a choice between Jessie J and Usain Bolt, we went with Jessie purely for the ease of using clothes she already had.

halcyondays Fri 19-Oct-12 18:10:25

The kids were asked to dress as somebody they thought was a hero, not somebody their parents thought was a hero. The point is for the kids to decide what they want to wear, within reason.

You can't just wear the same thing year, because they usually change the themes every year.

halcyondays Fri 19-Oct-12 18:13:33

Would it have been ok if they had dressed as Olympuc athletes instead of footballers?

Witchety Fri 19-Oct-12 18:16:40

Well footballers were in the Olympics,so....

RuleBritannia Fri 19-Oct-12 18:18:34

I suppose there have been footballers who were 'heroes' (not in the way that polie, firefighters etc are though). What about Bobby Moore, Gordon Banks, Bobby and Jack Charlton oh and that Jackie Milburn. They were soooo different from today's footballers?

I worked in a school and there was a staff fancy dress day. I got out appropriate clothing and went as Stirling Moss. I told the girls who I was when they asked me and in the main their reply was, "Who?" I retired crushed!

AbbyRue Fri 19-Oct-12 18:19:46

What if the child actually sees the footballer as their hero? It ain't fair to stereotype all footballers as morons, they get paid loads because their industry is a money making one confused

My hero could be your worst nightmare. Each to their own really

NickyNackyNooNoo Fri 19-Oct-12 18:20:02

Both of mine dressed as their Grandads, their idea not mine, which was good as I hate dress up days wink

ArthurShappey Fri 19-Oct-12 18:24:42

A lot of children consider a footballer to be their hero. I really don't see what your problem is?

If you asked my DB when he was that age he would have said David Seamen. It may not be your idea of a hero, but that's not the point. I think my hero at that age probably would have been Shakin'' Stevens.

Yes it would be nice if the child said 'Mummy I want to go as Neil Armstrong, Mummy I want to go as Amy Johnson' but seriously it's up to the child and not the parents.

I also echo other posters with the cost of costumes and availability of football strips.

Brownhairbrowneyes Fri 19-Oct-12 18:26:22

I'm married to a pro footballer and I can assure you they are not all idiots it's just a few that give the rest a bad name.

Witchety Fri 19-Oct-12 18:31:35

And let's not forget the female footballers!

Witchety Fri 19-Oct-12 18:32:29

brownhair are you mrs Beckham?

socharlotte Fri 19-Oct-12 18:32:29

i wouldn't regard any of the professions you list as heros!

Sirzy Fri 19-Oct-12 18:34:54

I would only have a problem with it if they were naming someone like John Terry as their hero tbh!

nailak Fri 19-Oct-12 18:34:58

how can you not afford fancy dress?

All you need is some cereal boxes/pampers nappy boxes/egg boxes and a bit of sellotape for fancy dress!

you can make so many different things with it, sword, pirate hat, firemans hat, witches hat, crown,

Sirzy Fri 19-Oct-12 18:35:41

Nailak - not everyone has the skill to make something that is wearable to be fair, I certainly couldn't!

socharlotte Fri 19-Oct-12 18:37:14

'can't afford' could mean 'can't afford the time' and I certainly couldn't!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now