Talk

Advanced search

To go and ask people over the road to move mattress when I have a house viewing tomorrow?

(16 Posts)
Arcadia Fri 19-Oct-12 17:47:40

my house is on the market and we have a viewing booked for tomorrow morning, I'm making quite an effort for each one because we haven't had many viewings.
some people just over the road in a shared house have dumped a mattress out the front - typical studenty house and our area is quite studenty but don't want people put off, I know it would out me off a bit. The other houses all look OK.
Don't know them, they are spanishy/south American people who go clubbing a lot.
they have a garden round the back because I see them take bikes round, don't think they'd mind but is that just ridiculously snobby/controlling/unreasonable behaviour?!

Arcadia Fri 19-Oct-12 17:48:24

Sorry put me off a bit

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Fri 19-Oct-12 17:53:06

No harm in asking.

Take a bottle of wine round as a thank you.

smile

Arcadia Fri 19-Oct-12 17:55:22

that's a good idea, and I may pull a sexy spaniard into the bargain! wink

maebyfunke Fri 19-Oct-12 17:55:28

I would ask.

The people who owned our current house asked the nighbours to remove a sofa from the front garden before we viewed and they did.

valiumredhead Fri 19-Oct-12 18:56:57

I would offer to move the mattress for them as it's you that wants it moving - they would have to be very U to say no then.

Campari Fri 19-Oct-12 18:59:00

Beds and three piece suits have no place in a front garden.

Tell them to donate to a second hand shop or hire a skip. Otherwise they are being selfish, lazy shits.

Sallyingforth Fri 19-Oct-12 20:02:50

three piece suits have no place in a front garden.

That depends who is wearing them!

MixedBerries Fri 19-Oct-12 21:19:37

YANBU. But you have to offer them something in return. There's nothing legally wrong with the situation but I don't think YABU to ask. Good luck!

RandomMess Fri 19-Oct-12 21:21:54

I'd offer to get rid of it for them smile

or get rid of it under the cover of darkness!

Campari Mon 22-Oct-12 14:30:40

Sallyingforth
That depends who is wearing them!

Oops! Excuse my terrible spelling blush

starmaker7 Mon 22-Oct-12 15:35:03

maybe they are in the front garden ready for the council to collect them?? It cant hurt to ask them to move it for a few hours though

Jusfloatingby Mon 22-Oct-12 16:49:07

YANBU. Even if I wasn't selling a house I would not like a mattress lying around a nearby front garden. It looks horrible.

Arcadia Tue 30-Oct-12 08:36:41

Thanks for advice, I went and asked them, the Spanish guy was gorgeous, and then took them a bottle of wine a few days later. Job done!

lucyellenmum Tue 30-Oct-12 08:40:49

awwww smile what a lovely fluffy story for first thing in the morning, so glad that your neighbours were reasonable and gorgeous

If its a studenty area though, your buyers may well be aware of that anyway so will have obviously considered having traffic cone stealers as neighbours already wink Good luck with the sale x

Arcadia Tue 30-Oct-12 09:04:32

Unfortunately no one wants to buy it anyway, apparently it is 'too small' (I'm sorry, were you expecting a Hollywood style mansion behind the facade of a small 2 bed terraced house?) and now the estate agent is giving us advice like 'take a wall down' which is not appreciated when we just spent the whole summer doing it up and decorating!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now