Talk

Advanced search

to have got the work bug?

(9 Posts)
newmummytobe79 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:56:20

I gave up my highly stressful, long hours (paid ok-ish but not for the hours I put in!) job and took 12 months maternity leave.

I had borderline PND but now I'm fine-ish and adore my DC.

I've been lucky enough to get a part-time job, working for a boss who is really flexible (I chose my own days and hours!), and although the pay isn't great - I've been offered more hours if I want.

I'm REALLY lucky also that I have parents and inlaws who are happy to do my childcare smile

I'm thinking of putting in extra hours next week - partly for the money and partly because I'm loving the 'me' time.

I miss my baby SO much, but I also love the freedom work brings me.

I know I was a bit of a workaholic before and don't want to slip down that route again, but feel that I have a purpose again and I'm not 'just' looking after my baby.

By the way, when I say 'just', my baby is NOT easy, and I aplaud any full time Mum's out there as it's bloody hard work!

I now see work as a break sad albeit a paid one.

AIBU to want a bit more freedom? I feel an awful mum writing this sad

MrsKeithRichards Fri 19-Oct-12 15:57:09

Yanbu!

newmummytobe79 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:57:11

having read it again ... feeling more awful! sad

newmummytobe79 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:57:29

thank you MrsKeithRichards! smile

gordyslovesheep Fri 19-Oct-12 15:58:11

No YANBU - I think I would go mad if I didn't work!

pinkdelight Fri 19-Oct-12 16:05:22

YANBU, it's fine. It sounds like you have the perfect set-up! Bit depressing that even then there are still worries! But honestly, just enjoy your work, enjoy your baby and your baby will enjoy the love of lots of people looking after him/her.

crookedcrock Fri 19-Oct-12 16:07:19

Mmmm.......not sure what your aibu is, if you want to work more hours that is not unreasonable, I don't think anyone would say it is. It is your choice. Also, although you clarified the 'just' comment re caring for baby by saying it is hard work etc. it isn't 'just' hard work, it is a worthwhile and valid choice also.
(I work part time......so not jumping down your neck! I do think the value attached to being full time with babies is eroded by comments like that) Good luck with your new job op, sounds great.

MissAnnersley Fri 19-Oct-12 16:08:00

YANBU at all.

I stayed at home until DS was one. I was so relieved to get back to work. Hats off to anyone who does stay at home with small children because I found it very, very hard.

Now DS is at school I would love to be a SAHM. grin

mudipig Fri 19-Oct-12 16:08:10

YANBU it's an ideal scenario. You can adjust the hours according to your dc's needs.

I've always worked part-time since my dd was around 1. It felt like a break tbh. And your dc is building a good relationship with your family.

The good thing is that you are building something very advantageous for the future. You can drop off and pick up from school/nursery. Will not need childcare. You can scale back hours in the holidays. And will be there for your dc when they need you. You can take out an hour to see the school play, harvest festival, sports day.

Don't feel guilty. What you are doing is also very beneficial for your dc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now