Talk

Advanced search

6 months for disrupting the Boat Race

(202 Posts)
kim147 Fri 19-Oct-12 13:34:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fakebook Fri 19-Oct-12 13:35:59

I just read that, and am quite frankly shocked! The general feeling is that he upset the toffs, so he must go to jail. Does seem a bit excessive.

Marrow Fri 19-Oct-12 13:36:08

I think it's a fair sentence and will hopefully deter others from thinking about pulling a similar stunt.

PhyllisDoris Fri 19-Oct-12 13:37:16

I think it should have been longer - he endangered his own life, and that of others, caused a great deal of inconvenience, caused one team to lose the race, and probably a lot of money too, and spoiled the fun for everyone watching.

SageBush Fri 19-Oct-12 13:38:08

Ridiculous. How can this merit a jail term, when people like Justin Lee Collins aren't given custodial sentences for actual violence and harm? Are judges living in the real world at all?

Darkesteyes Fri 19-Oct-12 13:38:16

Meanwhile Justin Lee Collins got community service for emotionally and physically abusing his girlfriend.
Nice to see they have their priorities sorted <rolls eyes>

Nancy66 Fri 19-Oct-12 13:38:16

seems fair enough to me - he'll probably be out in 3.

he disrupted a major sporting event.

Darkesteyes Fri 19-Oct-12 13:38:45

x posted with Sage.

Fakebook Fri 19-Oct-12 13:38:59

But there are real criminals out there like the thug who beat up a teen with his own crutches who was just given a warning. How is that fair? This man is nothing more than a glorified streaker. Hardly cause for a jail sentence.

kim147 Fri 19-Oct-12 13:40:10

cumfy Fri 19-Oct-12 13:46:18

Yes, 6 months because he spoiled the fun.hmm

Isn't being racially abusive, rather more serious ?
John Terry's not admiring the Pentonville decor though.

Nancy66 Fri 19-Oct-12 13:47:10

that doesn't mean this judge should be lenient just because other judges were

PhyllisDoris Fri 19-Oct-12 13:48:57

Are we discussing the boat race man, or the other cases? I think boat race man should have got longer. I also think that the other cases mentioned were sentenced too lenienetly. You can't let one person off just because someone else let someone else off.

somebloke123 Fri 19-Oct-12 13:50:05

He put his own and other people's lives at risk.

One of the crew of one of the teams (can't remember which) was in very serious trouble at the end, caused by the need to stop then start again some time later.

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Fri 19-Oct-12 13:50:48

I think six months is about right. He endangered a number of lives.

Some of the other examples above should have been longer. Doesn't mean this judge should have been lenient.

missymoomoomee Fri 19-Oct-12 13:51:54

A lot of sentences handed out are far too lenient but that doesn't mean this one isn't fair. The guy knew what he was doing, knew what the outcome would be, and did it anyway, 6 months sounds reasonable to me. He will be out by christmas anyway.

FrothyOM Fri 19-Oct-12 13:52:08

Yeah, I think it's excessive too.

kim147 Fri 19-Oct-12 13:52:46

MaryZed Fri 19-Oct-12 13:56:52

It's a deterrent, or it should be. And I personally don't think 6 months (and he'll be out in much less) is enough.

Unless you want to have the marathon interrupted every year, and the Grand National, and Grand Prix, and rugby and football internationals.

He put himself and others in danger.

If he was allowed to get off with a fine, someone else would do it next year, and others would disrupt lots of events, like that mad Irish priest.

cumfy Fri 19-Oct-12 13:57:15

I don't see any evidence that he endangered anyone else's life.

He spoiled the fun.

Viviennemary Fri 19-Oct-12 13:57:21

He'd have been a lot better calling his local policeman a pleb. hmm

valiumredhead Fri 19-Oct-12 13:58:40

He wasn't jailed for spoiling the fun hmm He was jailed for putting his life and others at risk.

MaryZed Fri 19-Oct-12 13:58:56

No cumfy.

If the boat had hit him, the likelihood is that one at least of the rowers would have been injured.

If he hadn't been spotted, and he had been hit by the convoy of boats and the wash, they would all have had to stop very suddenly. The backwash at that part of the river could have caused other boats to crash and potentially sink.

He was very lucky he wasn't killed.

cumfy Fri 19-Oct-12 14:01:57

The backwash at that part of the river could have caused other boats to crash and potentially sink.

grin

PumpkinPositive Fri 19-Oct-12 14:02:10

Do the universities of Oxford and Cambridge own that river then??

History teacher at high school used to caution us, "rape, pillage and murder as you will, but don't for God's sake rip off the Crown, cos then you really WILL be for the high jump."

Looks like we can add "piss off the Oxbridge boat racers" to that list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now