Talk

Advanced search

to wonder what the hell is biting my DH?

(17 Posts)
MinesaBottle Fri 19-Oct-12 11:47:07

DH has had a horrible night’s sleep because he’s been bitten three times on the legs (once on each calf and once on his thigh) by some horrible creature that is clearly lurking around the bedroom. It’s not bedbugs because I’ve checked all the furniture in the bedroom and also the bites are individual and they’re way too big (you can see a tiny puncture mark in the middle of them). They look like mosquito bites that he’s had a bit of a reaction to but are mosquitos still around? (We’re in S London) I’d have thought it was too cold for them now.

He must have been bitten in bed because it’s the only time he has bare legs. I’m lucky enough to be loathed by insects so I don’t get bitten but he certainly has been and it’s driving him nuts (and by extension me). What could it be??

BumpingFuglies Fri 19-Oct-12 11:50:35

Flea bites? Have you got pets?

Goonatic Fri 19-Oct-12 11:51:36

Must be mozzies, we are still squashing them in our house (cambs) poor thing, have you given him piriton? (that autocorected to portion to start with- don't expect you have given him that!!)

MinesaBottle Fri 19-Oct-12 11:52:35

No, we don't have pets so I've ruled out fleas (neighbours don't have pets either). It's very weird. If one of us had picked up a flea or two, say on the tube, how long would they survive? I know they're not crazy about human blood.

MinesaBottle Fri 19-Oct-12 11:55:01

Will try piriton if he's still whinging later - he said he's going to the pharmacy at lunchtime to ask about how to treat it but I bet he doesn't because he seems to think he never needs any kind of medical treatment and would only go to a doctor if his head fell off hmm

NeedlesCuties Fri 19-Oct-12 12:01:07

This happened to me years ago in a student flat...

Turns out it was bedbugs shock and I had to get lotion from the chemist - can't recall the name of it though.

CookingFunt Fri 19-Oct-12 12:09:05

Dh was sorting out our wood store last weekend (a large plastic trolley with a lid for storing firewood ) and woke up the next day with bites like hives with a puncture in the middle. Turns out they were from woodlice.

MadgeHarvey Fri 19-Oct-12 12:13:16

Woodlice bite people? shock

Grumpla Fri 19-Oct-12 12:13:52

Woodlice can BITE?!?! <faints>

Sokmonsta Fri 19-Oct-12 12:14:32

Spiders? My mum got bitten by a spider once. You could see the bite mark and her arm ballooned up.

Grumpla Fri 19-Oct-12 12:14:33

PS I was going to suggest fleas too. They can lay dormant in carpets etc for years so even if you don't have pets could still be that...

maras2 Fri 19-Oct-12 12:16:56

There was a mossie in our bedroom last weekend < nasty bitey bastard > I needed Piriton and Tea Tree oil cream for 2 days.

piratecat Fri 19-Oct-12 12:18:15

have defo been mozzies here in the last few weeks. devon.

MinesaBottle Fri 19-Oct-12 12:19:40

Maybe a spider. They have been massive this year after all. I reckon mossies are most likely tbh but we'll see what the pharmacist says (if DH actually goes...)

I had no idea woodlice bite!!! I thought they were just amusing and slightly creepy little harmless things that trundle around in the garden shock

cluelessnchaos Fri 19-Oct-12 12:20:08

I thought spiders too, they can give a nasty bite

lljkk Fri 19-Oct-12 12:29:30

Spiders, sounds very much like spider bites. He probably rolled over on it.
Woodlice bites make me swell up too. Well, all micro-beasts except mozzies bother me. Feckers.

dreamingbohemian Fri 19-Oct-12 12:36:38

My DH had this exact same thing when we lived in south London, only it lasted for months. He would wake up with these huge bites on his arms and legs, I never had anything. He went to the GP but she was not helpful at all.

We had zero evidence of bedbugs or fleas or anything. It kept on even when we moved flat.

Finally we went for the nuclear option: we got a new foam mattress, absolutely scrubbed down the bed, used a steamer on everything, and I made sure to change the sheets frequently. And it stopped. So our best guess was that he was allergic to some kind of mite (there are loads of mites that live all around us, I was sad to discover).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: