Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to have expected the plumber to have ascertained which part of our request was possible before coming round to start work?

(11 Posts)
LollopingLil Fri 19-Oct-12 11:26:16

Just want to check whether IABU or not because he's already annoyed me by not turning up twice in a row after we'd spent £18 a pop on putting the dog in 'daycare' because he he told us he disliked them.

Anyway, work finally went ahead yesterday. He completed part of it (installing radiators - they look a bit crap because he's put them in very high but I assume this is for a reason hmm) but then said at the end of the day that he couldn't do the other two parts of the work he quoted for:

- Servicing the boiler because the door is warped and he couldn't get it off. Now I understand that boiler servicing is a flat fee but he came over to look round and quote for the rest of the work, so he could have checked this easily.

- Capping off a gas pipe below floor level because it's a mains pipe. He looked at the bloody pipe before doing the quote.

He then asked us for an amount equivalent to the initial bill minus about £20. Less than we've spent on bloody dog daycare. I need to phone later to discuss (he did the work while DH was at home and English isn't DH's first language so I need to check he's not misunderstood) but I feel fairly pissed off at the level of service here. AIBU?

scuzy Fri 19-Oct-12 11:28:14

hang on ...you put the dog in day care cos the plumber doesnt like the dog??

WTF?

why did you do that?

LollopingLil Fri 19-Oct-12 11:35:37

He basically said, 'have you got a dog? You'd better get it out of the way', and not in a particularly friendly way - but we really bloody needed the radiators putting in. We had none on the entire ground floor and it's getting cold (young DC). And to be fair, our dog is pretty, hmm, intense around visitors. Fine if they like/don't mind them but reasonable enough to not want her around if you really don't like her. I got the impression he might have been a bit scared of them.

In the end she was here when he finally came round because twice was taking the piss!

Dolallytats Fri 19-Oct-12 11:39:42

I would have cancelled the job after the second time he hadn't turned up. I also don't understand why you would put your dog into dog day care-that's just odd!!

I'm wondering why you didn't ask him why the radiators were so high?

If you are not happy with his work (and it sounds shoddy and he sounds unprofessional) you can complain to the Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering (CIPHE)

Sorry, I don't know how to do links!!

Dolallytats Fri 19-Oct-12 11:40:51

X-posted with your dog reasons!!

mollymole Fri 19-Oct-12 11:42:01

OK so he quoted for 3 types of work and has only carried out 1 of them, yet only deducted £20 from his bill. How much did he quote for the whole job, because where I come from servicing a boiler costs a darn sight more than £20 - more like £75 and there is still the capping off the pipe not done. Is he a registered CORGI fitter, because if he is not he should not have done any of the work, and if he is then I contact CORGI for their advice. Have you paid him yet because if not don'y pay until the matter is sorted.

LollopingLil Fri 19-Oct-12 12:07:43

Yep, registered and got details from the local trading standards website.

Didn't cancel because we haven't even been able to get anyone through the door to even quote for the work - that time of year, I guess.

I didn't see how high the radiators had been installed until I came home from a long day at work. I need to speak to him today.

LollopingLil Fri 19-Oct-12 12:08:48

The entire work came around £460. He's invoiced for £430.

LollopingLil Fri 19-Oct-12 12:56:04

Any other thoughts?

Nancy66 Fri 19-Oct-12 12:59:50

He's failed to do a large part of the job he quoted for - you need to renegotiate the bill.

LollopingLil Fri 19-Oct-12 13:05:51

Definitely. Reckon his tack will be to say that it took him time to work out that he couldn't do it so I just wanted to double check I'm not BU to refuse that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now