Talk

Advanced search

to ask nursery not to use elastic bands on dd's hair?

(22 Posts)
JumpJockey Fri 19-Oct-12 09:38:15

DD2 is nearly 2, has very fine hair with quite a long fringe which she can push to one side, I've never cut her hair. One of the girls in her room at nursery is very keen on playing hairdresser, and the kids often come out with bunches all over (3 or 4, not just 2) and I don't mind this so much but I do mind that they use elastic bands - the kind you get wrapped around your post. DD's hair often gets tangled up and torn when she pulls the bunches, and there's also an almighty fuss when I have to undo them to get her bike helmet on. at home time.

WIBU to ask them either to stop doing bunches, or only to use proper hairbands (which I could provide in the future)? Or is that massively PSB?

SilverCharm Fri 19-Oct-12 09:42:19

Yanbu. Just ask them not to. rock up with a big pack of soft bands and give them to the girl and say "Ooh I know you like doing the DC hair so I got these so you've plenty of nice soft ones. Those elastics are horrible aren't they? So sore to remove...I'd rather these were the ones you used."

And smile and go.

Mrsjay Fri 19-Oct-12 09:44:48

Yanbu horrible tangley things I actually shuddered at the thought of that feeling taking them out, , get yourself to primark and buy a few bags of pony tail bands and donate to the nursery ,

mrsfuzzy Fri 19-Oct-12 09:45:53

is it psb? it's your daughters hair not a doll! whilst you don't want to spoil the girls fun elastic bands should never be used to bunch hair as it breaks it, not to mention upsets your daughter, provide proper hair bands and do what you know is right for your little girl.

Moominsarescary Fri 19-Oct-12 09:49:07

Yanbu I'd go to the pound shop and buy lots of hair bands to donate to nursery

Enigmosaurus Fri 19-Oct-12 09:50:43

Yanbu at all. Wilkinsons do packs of small, soft bands for £1 for about 100. I use them on dd3's fine hair and never have a problems - I'd buy some for the nursery and ask them to use them instead.

pictish Fri 19-Oct-12 09:51:30

Yanbu - they are daft for allowing it tbh, those things rip hair out from the root!! OW!!

Hand in some proper hairbands and offer a very short admonishment for the elastic bands. Honestly...how thick are they?

JumpJockey Fri 19-Oct-12 09:52:46

Oh - thanks for the hint re Wilkos/primark, will take a look. thanks

Glad it's not just me!

3littlefrogs Fri 19-Oct-12 09:53:02

Take a small, safe pair of scissors in your bag at home time and just cut the bands.

Is there a reason why you haven't cut her hair?

I found short hair much easier to deal with until my dd was about 8 or 9. It made getting out paint, glue, play dough and nits much less traumatic.

LoonyRationalist Fri 19-Oct-12 09:54:10

YANBU, I am shuddering at the thought of elastic bands being used in hair, they are awful and break the hair terribly. I too would provide a pack of cheap bands but also make very clear that elastic bands should never be used in her hair again.
TBH they should be bright enough to see that when you take them out it hurts & this is therefore unkind to the children.

JumpJockey Fri 19-Oct-12 09:59:55

3littlefrogs - I haven't cut it because a) it's not hugely long, probably a couple of CM lower than her hairline at the back with a fringe that just about goes into her eyes if it's brushed down, b) I can clip her fringe to one side and she doesn't mind that, c) if I go anywhere near her with scissors she wails, and d) it looks cute at the moment, the day I cut DD1's hair she suddenly looked much older and DD2 is still my little baby (ahem). smile

Mrsjay Fri 19-Oct-12 10:11:59

I think if the nursery is allowing them to play hairdressers they must know the elastic bands hurt perhaps it is a hygene issue they don't want ponytail band shairing or 'something' you can get clear plastic bands for doing hair maybe get those or suggest those to the nursery

Iggly Fri 19-Oct-12 10:14:29

Why not tie it up before nursery?

A1980 Fri 19-Oct-12 10:18:04

YANBU.
My school used to do that when I forgot a pony tail band for PE. My mum had to cut them out of my hair.

Mrsjay Fri 19-Oct-12 10:19:55

Why not tie it up before nursery?

I think they would still want to play and put hair up

Our home economics teachers used to have a drawer full of them A1 and just walk behind us and tie hair up --bitch- grin

Mrsjay Fri 19-Oct-12 10:20:26

ach strike out fail

WinkySlink Fri 19-Oct-12 10:28:06

My dd often coes back from nursery with a new hairdo, often just a top ponytail where her pigtails ad fallen out during the day, but last week she came back with two beautiful french plaits, all the way from front to back! I dont know how she sat still long enough for them to do it...i usually end up chasing her around the house hanging onto a fistful of hair, just to put a ponytail in!

I agree...take in some bands, they wont mind, no big deal!

CheshireDing Fri 19-Oct-12 10:28:11

YANBU I would never use elastic bands on my own hair, let alone a child's.

I am surprised they are using those, you would thin they would have the covered, coloured, elasticated bands. Good idea to cut them off though instead as someone said.

Would you have to ask before buying and donating the bands you bought though?

My PFB has mad hair, she looks like an Old English Sheepdog if she has no clips in but nursery said she can't wear clips in case the other babies eat them, so currently we are having to wait until it's thick enough for a band. I don't want to cut it though because otherwise she will never get past the mad hair stage!

OHforDUCKScake Fri 19-Oct-12 10:36:54

Elastic bands in hair HURT.

YANBU.

ReallyTired Fri 19-Oct-12 10:42:37

I think you need to supply the nursery with your own hair bands.

I am quite happy for a nursery nurse to do dd's hair and when dd was in the baby room she used to come home with fanastic french plaits. Sadly there is no time for hair dos in the pre school room.

Having nursery nurses do children's hair is a great way of preventing nits from taking over the nursery. If the nursey nurse discovers wildlife if a child's hair then the parents can be notified.

socharlotte Fri 19-Oct-12 18:31:01

cut them out before you leave

Merrin Fri 19-Oct-12 18:54:08

Dont ask, instruct!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now