Talk

Advanced search

To be crapping myself over court tomorrow?

(7 Posts)
2kidsintow Thu 18-Oct-12 15:51:13

I'm there to give evidence as a witness for my best friend.

It isn't as if it is something that is going to directly impact my or my family's life.

But I am dreading it.

Redsilk Thu 18-Oct-12 15:55:02

Just tell the truth, no matter what and even if your friend wants you to stretch things in her favour.

Knowing you just need to tell the truth should help calm you.

ZuzuandZara Thu 18-Oct-12 15:57:25

Aaagghh! Nerve wracking!

Take a mag to read while you wait. There will be waiting. And it will take your mind off things.

Do some gentle breathing exercises while you wait to calm your nerves.

Ask the usher for some water when they show you to the place your are to sit/stand in court.

Look at the judge/magistrate when you answer your questions. Not the person who is asking you the questions.

Take it slowly, think about the question and answer. Don't feel rushed.

It's not nearly as bad as you think. You will be proud for helping your friend.

Good luck.

2kidsintow Thu 18-Oct-12 16:00:06

Thank you.

I wasn't an eye witness and can only give my truthful account of what state my friend was in when she turned up at mine.

SHe isn't planning on being in the court except for when she gives her own evidence, so there will be no pressure (subconsious or otherwise) to give an embellished account - not that I would anyway.

I'm taking my kindle and a packet of sweets to avoid boredom and parched-mouth syndrome.

And I'm ready for a LONG day.

justmyview Thu 18-Oct-12 16:02:55

Be very polite and respectful, if you don't know the answr just say so, ask them to clarify any questions you don't understand, t ake your time and don't get stroppy if your evidence is challenged - any evidence the other side don't challenge is deemed to be accepted. I'm sure you'll be fine

TiAAAAARGHo Thu 18-Oct-12 16:07:51

You will be fine. Just stay calm and make sure you understand the question before answering. Then afterwards ale yourself off for a nice hot chocolate and slice of cake.

2kidsintow Fri 19-Oct-12 22:27:15

Aaaaargh! An important police witness was off sick so after we'd hung around worrying for AGES, it was adjourned for 6 weeks.

So we have to go through it all again.

Have I already said "Aaaaargh!?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now