Talk

Advanced search

To find this a bit weird of MiL?

(47 Posts)
BobbysBeardOfWonder Thu 18-Oct-12 15:46:11

MiL was here over lunch to help administer antib's to DD, she also stayed a bit longer to wait for a delivery while I put 5mo DS to sleep upstairs.

I've only just noticed that all the houseplants in the kitchen are a little...moist...some of the orchids are sitting in 1cm of water shock [horror]

She must've done it whilst I was upstairs...but she didn't mention anything when I came down. She is good with plants too so I'm a bit confused as to why she would leave them drowning.

Would you find this weird? I guess she was a bit bored. But I'd never do this in her house, not without asking/being asked. Not that I'm not grateful...

usualsuspect3 Thu 18-Oct-12 15:47:28

She only watered your plants, not a big deal.

Blimey the things people moan about

Chopsypie Thu 18-Oct-12 15:49:50

YABU
Last time my MIL was at my house she ironed all of the clean clothes.
I certainly didnt complain!

HeinousHecate Thu 18-Oct-12 15:51:20

Wouldn't find it weird at all. She'd come over to help you out. This was just another little bit of helping out. I'd find it thoughtful.

Although she's clearly overwatered them grin

Whoknowswhocares Thu 18-Oct-12 15:51:26

She prob thought she was doing you a favour. You sound very lucky to me

BTW 2 grown adults to administer antibiotics to a child!!! Really?

boredandrestless Thu 18-Oct-12 15:52:04

She watered your plants (and perhaps overestimated how dry the soil was). I don't see what's weird about it?

waltermittymissus Thu 18-Oct-12 15:53:13

Why did you need help giving your child medicine?

And why did she have to wait around for a delivery when you were, presumably, just upstairs?

Sounds like she gave up her day to 'help' with unnecessary things and you're not happy that she watered the plants?!

LFCisTarkaDahl Thu 18-Oct-12 15:53:44

Yes, she clearly hates you - why would you try and kill someone's plant otherwise?

or she's not as good with plants as you think grin

threesocksonathreeleggedwitch Thu 18-Oct-12 15:54:48

yabu
sounds like you have a nice MIL who helps you

ChaosTrulyReigns Thu 18-Oct-12 15:55:34

Is this a 7 day, three tiems a day course?

You need to buy water lilies...

ClippedPhoenix Thu 18-Oct-12 15:55:58

Obviously part of a vicious masterplan there OP <taps nose>

Whoknowswhocares Thu 18-Oct-12 15:56:13

I find this a bit sad tbh. If I am a MIL in the future will any attempt I make to help be dissected and made out to be weird, whenever I try to help out?

what is the alternative? Not to bother helping?

BobbysBeardOfWonder Thu 18-Oct-12 15:57:56

Ok ok I'm BU grin

ClippedPhoenix Thu 18-Oct-12 16:01:20

just a tad OP grin

pictish Thu 18-Oct-12 16:02:46

My mil often saves waters our plants when she's here. They'd all be dead otherwise. grin

ENormaSnob Thu 18-Oct-12 16:26:06

I can't see any problem tbh.

She sounds lovely.

KenLeeeeeee Thu 18-Oct-12 16:29:35

Last time my MIL was here unsupervised she cleaned my cooker hob. Now to most, that sounds like a lovely helpful thing to do but I know that there's a subtext of I did this for you because you're too useless to do it properly yourself, so where I might seem wholly unjustified in being a bit hmm about it, it's actually entirely reasonable of me.

If your MIL is prone to the same PA comments on your housekeeping, then YANBU to be a bit confused about why she watered your plants. Otherwise, take it at face value as being a nice, helpful thing she did and think nothing more of it.

JustSpidero Thu 18-Oct-12 16:34:24

Are you thinking this is odd because she's good with plants and orchids don't need a lot of water (iirc)?

BobbysBeardOfWonder Thu 18-Oct-12 16:42:02

Yes partly JustSpidero. Also I just found it a bit odd grin but have accepted I'm BU

Mintyy Thu 18-Oct-12 16:43:52

Yanbu. She was interfering. I would not like it either.

LaQueen Thu 18-Oct-12 16:48:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BobbysBeardOfWonder Thu 18-Oct-12 17:03:24

When DH's aunt came to stay a few years back (she lives abroad) she cleaned the cooker.

It was already clean. confused

I felt unworthy grin

JustSpidero Thu 18-Oct-12 17:04:38

I can see why you'd find it weird from that POV, but must admit I fecking hate houseplants (only know about orchids from a friend's FB post a couple of weeks ago).

If someone came and over-watered the couple of triffids DH insists on cultivating I'd be living in hope that it would kill them off tbh.

Jusfloatingby Thu 18-Oct-12 17:13:03

You have a sick child and a small baby. Your MIL was just trying to be helpful. I don't see anything weird about it.

HansieMom Thu 18-Oct-12 17:22:22

With an orchid, you are supposed to submerge pot in water, then let it drain out. Then pour off excess out of tray.,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now