Talk

Advanced search

to not avoid throwing a party on a friday, because it is my friends DD's birthday on the sunday

(14 Posts)
lukeiamyourmother Thu 18-Oct-12 15:12:22

We were thinking of having a house warming party on the friday that we get the keys. I want it over as soon as possible, while we have nothing in there and before the carpets are steamed - so I have put the feelers out to everyone.

Everyone has been up for it except one friend, who said it would be impossible for them as it was his DD's birthday weekend and I might get more of our friends come if I go for the weekend after because they will all be going to his DD's party instead. On the sunday which is 2 days after our party! She is 3. They don't actually hold traditional parties for her, just all the adults round for a drink and its really more for them than it is for her. Even if I had suggested the saturday I cant see that this would be a problem either, they could just leave early surely. Historically they don't put up decorations and his wife makes or buys a cake so there is practically no prep except cleaning, and they keep a nice house anyway.

AIBU to have the party on her birthday weekend or is he being ridiculous?

megandraper Thu 18-Oct-12 15:20:51

He is being ridiculous. Perhaps he can't come (is it his DD's birthday on the Friday or Saturday?) but can't see why it would stop anyone else. Have it when you like.

redskyatnight Thu 18-Oct-12 15:20:51

Well you answered your own question - all your friends are keen except for the 1 friend. None of them have pointed out the "clash" with the other party. Finding a date that satisfies that many is pretty good going I would say.

PrincessPumpkinshoutsBOO Thu 18-Oct-12 15:20:58

How odd hmm assuming that you live quite close to each other (and not asking friends to travel) I can't think of any reason why you should not have a party 2 days apart from your friend.

Paiviaso Thu 18-Oct-12 15:22:45

How bizarre! Of course you should have housewarming on the Friday.

lurkedtoolong Thu 18-Oct-12 15:23:55

How far apart do you live? How long is your party going to be? I'm struggling to imagine why this is an issue at all.

lukeiamyourmother Thu 18-Oct-12 15:25:50

Her birthday is the sunday, same day as the party. Everyone lives close, we are a small town! Its a walkable distance to everyone and everything (a reason we bought it!)

I suppose when he said it I got a bit paranoid that everyone would be thinking I was imposing on a little girls birthday, and hadn't told me!

WilsonFrickett Thu 18-Oct-12 15:26:07

This is the very definition of PFB. I may have to laminate it.

It is such an non-issue, have your party FGS. Most of us can cope with two social outings on one weekend and given the choice between a kid's party and an adult one I know which one I'd choose...

Idontknowhowtohelpher Thu 18-Oct-12 15:27:44

Perhaps he is worried that if people go to your party they won't want to go to another one the same weekend?
Have yours on the Friday! grin

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 18-Oct-12 15:35:05

It would be impossible for them to come to a party on Friday because it is their daughter's birthday on the Sunday? Really? So very very PFB!

Have your party on the Friday. He is being very strange.

Floggingmolly Thu 18-Oct-12 15:35:41

The silly bugger! "They'll all be saving themselves for my 3 year old's party two days later".
grin grin grin

lukeiamyourmother Thu 18-Oct-12 15:40:28

Two thirds of me laughed at him. The other third thought "Oh no! Maybe they wont want to come so close to FDD's party! Better check on MN to be sure!"

[Appeased emoticon]

halcyondays Thu 18-Oct-12 15:45:37

He is being ridiculous. Having adults around for drinks doesn't sound like much fun for a 3 year old's birthday party.

ENormaSnob Thu 18-Oct-12 15:56:29

Yanbu

Perhaps remind him that the world doesn't revolve around his 3 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now