Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why can't tracker ads have a button on saying 'I've bought a f***ing bin and it WASN'T from YOU now STOP TELLING ME I WANT A BIN

(52 Posts)
WorriedBetty Thu 18-Oct-12 15:03:51

That's you 'John Lewis' or whoever you are, honestly PISS OFF!! angry

Iggly Thu 18-Oct-12 15:07:02

YANBU! grin

minipie Thu 18-Oct-12 15:08:11

YANBU I find tracker ads quite creepy actually. Every website I go to, they know what I was looking at yesterday and flash up ads for it. Makes me feel quite uneasy about using the internet not that I stop.

Sparklingbrook Thu 18-Oct-12 15:09:58

I googled some toilets once for a thread about how the word 'toilet' is rude. Anyway I saw chased by toilets for the next few days. DH borrowed the laptop and was all confused. grin

Lemonylemon Thu 18-Oct-12 15:12:51

Roller blinds here....

CackleMeIAmYours Thu 18-Oct-12 15:13:36

Why don't you just adjust your browser settings so this doesn't happen?

TheSurgeonsMate Thu 18-Oct-12 15:14:19

The BABY GREW UP! I don't need teethers ANY MORE.

Sparklingbrook Thu 18-Oct-12 15:14:34

How do you do that Cackle? <licks pencil>

TheSurgeonsMate Thu 18-Oct-12 15:14:59

OK Cackle - now you have my attention.

How is that done, please?

EwanHoozami Thu 18-Oct-12 15:16:10

This is why I have stopped clicking on the piss-taking links on here to Per Una Speziale.

DH is going to see my tracker ads and think "ooh, that looks like an ideal christmas gift for Ewan, she must have looked at that animal print lamé midi dress loads " confused

CackleMeIAmYours Thu 18-Oct-12 15:16:12

I'm using Firefox on a Mac - I just went to Firefox/Preferences and then in the 'Tracking' Box just ticked the preference that said to tell sites I didn't want them to track me.

Not sure how it works on other browsers though.

MrsVincentPrice Thu 18-Oct-12 15:27:29

I rather like it when John Lewis do it - it shows they care, and it gives me a chance to think about whether I really do fancy that frock. Yes, I have no life.

But why the fuck can't Ocado work out that if I haven't bought any baby food for six years (having bought it for the previous 4) then there's probably a very obvious reason for that, and I am unlikely to be interested in the Annabel Karmel range any more? Amazon, bless them, have a ticky box for "Yes I know I bought a Catherine Cookson book that one time, but it was a present for my late lamented aunt so please don't assume I want to buy every other Catherine Cookson book ever.

showtunesgirl Thu 18-Oct-12 15:29:45

Ooh thanks Cackle, I've just selected that option. smile

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 18-Oct-12 15:41:58

YANBU

ViviPru Thu 18-Oct-12 15:43:42

Does anyone know how to do it in safari? The ads do my nut.

CackleMeIAmYours Thu 18-Oct-12 15:45:59

Vivi

Safari/Preferences/Privacy (tab)/tick second box from bottom - Ask websites not to track me.

I also have blocked cookies from 3rd parties and advertisers (also on the privacy tab)

CackleMeIAmYours Thu 18-Oct-12 15:52:14

Although, my friend has given up tracking her menstrual cycle because Ocado now does it for her by recommending sanitary products when she is due smile

WorriedBetty Thu 18-Oct-12 22:57:13

shock period tracking is MUCH worse than being forced to nearly buy a bin i don't need! EVIL!

ViviPru Fri 19-Oct-12 09:13:45

Cake I don't seem to have that option - here's a screenshot - heeeelllllp!!!!!

CuttedUpPear Fri 19-Oct-12 09:24:18

Get adblock. Someone on FB told me about it , it's brilliant, I don't see any ads on here or FB or anywhere else. No tailored ads on gmail, nothing. It's free but you can donate if you like. I gave them a fiver as I was so relieved to get rid of all the advertising.

this one is for chrome but you can get it for all browsers.

RedBlanket Fri 19-Oct-12 09:43:07

Ocado track your periods, now that's customer service. Take note Aldi.

LexiLoganberry Fri 19-Oct-12 09:53:20

I must be being stupid, I can't seem to find Preferences or privacy settingsconfused

ratspeaker Fri 19-Oct-12 10:29:01

in firefox click on tools then options then privacy theres a box under the tracking headline that you have to click on

Or clear cookies by deleting internet history
tools> clear recent history> check the cache and cookies boxes

Phantomquartz Fri 19-Oct-12 10:39:12

On some of the ads - I think the john lewis ones have the option - you can click on it and request that it doesn't use your search history to suggest products.

http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/

CackleMeIAmYours Fri 19-Oct-12 11:42:41

Vivipru Is that the whole of the box? Mine has an additional option about tracking underneath those options.

What version of Firefox are you running? Mine's 15.0.1 (go to Firefox/About Firefox to check)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now