Talk

Advanced search

To think this pastry must have been made of gold?

(18 Posts)
chipsandmushypeas Thu 18-Oct-12 11:57:26

Went into a cafe yesterday, got a coffee and croissant to go.

Pain au chocolat was £4.00 to take away shock

Still bloody bought the thing because i was starving and was intrigued, wondering if it was filled with liquid gold.

WTCU (Was the cafe unreasonable) smile

TakingTheStairs Thu 18-Oct-12 12:00:23

No the café wasn't unreasonable, because if they can get customers to pay that price, they will, and you did!

But tell me, did it taste like Rumpelstiltskin had made the pastry? grin

dexter73 Thu 18-Oct-12 12:00:54

£4 for a pain au chocolat shock!!! The cafe WDBU!! Was it nice though?

chipsandmushypeas Thu 18-Oct-12 12:12:36

grin @ Taking

Well it was good (bloody right too!) but I had already handed the money over by the time I had taken in what the guy had said so didnt want to snatch my fiver back and look like a twit

chipsandmushypeas Thu 18-Oct-12 12:13:08

Bloody Hackney hipster cafes

WinklyFriedChicken Thu 18-Oct-12 12:15:36

Ah, then YWBU to buy out of Hackney hipster cafes!

RubyFakeNails Thu 18-Oct-12 12:16:18

Where in Hackney was this?

I thought you were going to say it was le pain quotidien, who I avoid like the plague for their overpriced faux-french shite.

Iheartpasties Thu 18-Oct-12 12:18:25

four quid! g'ah! how do they get away with it! buggers!!

squoosh Thu 18-Oct-12 12:24:45

In a café I'd pay £4 for a really nice slice of cake, and I mean something special that I couldn't buy in the supermarket or make at home.

Pain au chocolats are nice but they're not £4 for 1 nice.

PigletJohn Thu 18-Oct-12 12:36:51

cafe prices are not the same as shop prices. Never have been.

Fakebook Thu 18-Oct-12 12:43:35

But the real question is, would you pay £4 for a pain au chocolat in Starbucks? Hmm? eh?

BonaDea Thu 18-Oct-12 12:46:50

Living in London I have completely lost the sense of the value of money because prices vary so wildly. I couldn't tell you what a pastry or even a pint of milk is supposed to cost. Ridiculous me.

A friend told me she went to a Pilates class which cost £25 (!!!!) the other day.

squoosh Thu 18-Oct-12 12:50:15

Starbucks - no
Patisserie - yes

chipsandmushypeas Thu 18-Oct-12 13:02:51

Fakebook no i bloody wouldnt! Cant stand Costa or SB

AmandinePoulain Thu 18-Oct-12 13:10:18

If it makes you feel better I did similar last week. Dd1 needed tights, dd2 was crying and we were in a hurry so I wasn't really paying attention to the ones she chose, until we got to the till and the cashier asked for £10! TEN pounds! For TWO pairs of Mothercare tights that will probably fall apart after 2 washes! shock

Of course by then I was past the point of no return and forced to pay up but I'm still bitter about it.

susiedaisy Thu 18-Oct-12 13:11:18

At £4 it would of stuck in my throat and probably choked me!!

chipsandmushypeas Thu 18-Oct-12 13:16:59

Mothercare are another one for overpriced goods Amandine. I went in to have a look as im pregnant and most single sleepsuits were £14-£20!!! Ridiculous.

AmandinePoulain Thu 18-Oct-12 13:28:11

Mamas and Papas also sell ridiculously priced basics. I found single babygros for £15 in there recently - and this was in the outlet store so goodness only knows what they were originally shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now