Talk

Advanced search

To think that year 6 is too old to go to school in pyjamas?!

(29 Posts)
Bluebell99 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:39:22

Had an email from school yesterday about a bedtime story day next week and children are to come to school in their pyjamas and pay at least a £1 for the privilege. I have nothing against mufti days per se but just think ten and eleven year olds don't want to walk to school and around town in their pyjamas.

DameMargotFountain Thu 18-Oct-12 09:40:25

you've never been to town on a saturday have you... wink

SugariceAndScary Thu 18-Oct-12 09:41:38

My ds2 would have point blank refused to wear pj's to school, is it optional?

safflower Thu 18-Oct-12 09:44:08

You don't have to send them in pyjamas, it won't be compulsory. It is a fund raiser.

ObiWan Thu 18-Oct-12 09:44:49

I'd imagine they'd get changed at school, rather than walk through town, or perhaps they are driven to school.

My children would love it, and none of their friends would think twice about it, but they are not a very 'streetwise' or image conscious group.

Mathsdidi Thu 18-Oct-12 09:45:59

Dd1 went in a track suit every time they did pyjama days. She told them she didn't wear pyjamas blush. Nobody cared as long as she handed over the money.

Bluebell99 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:47:20

I know those onsie things are fashionable with some teens but my dd doesn't have one, and doesn't it make going to loo difficult?! So I suppose that could be a solution, add expense of buying a onsie! I think they look ridiculous (old gimmer here!) saw a girl working in tkmaxx in one! I don't think it says it's optional but I suppose she could be the only one wearing school uniform!

Lancelottie Thu 18-Oct-12 09:48:45

Just stick her in t-shirt/sweatshirt top and leggings. They won't care.

Bluebell99 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:49:27

I think for younger children, nursery and infants it's fine, but not at ten and eleven. Track suit might be way to go.

EdithWeston Thu 18-Oct-12 09:50:08

I don't think my DCs would mind. But perhaps they could go to school in clothes you think suitable and change on arrival?

sununu Thu 18-Oct-12 09:50:30

our primary have had pyjama days up to y6, and including the head and some teachers! they seem to have a thing for dressing up in general there. you can wear something underneath and a coat on top?

Bluebell99 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:51:06

Yes, think will go with leggings and tshirt.

3duracellbunnies Thu 18-Oct-12 09:52:03

Mine love it when they can go in pj, but I usually send them in t-shirt and legging type with a dressing gown on top. Not too different and at least it won't be a fashion contest.

3duracellbunnies Thu 18-Oct-12 09:53:41

Oh yeah I always put underwear on them too, just in case you weren't sure.

slartybartfast Thu 18-Oct-12 09:54:52

PRESUMABLY it is whole school event. and i really dont see the problem. they love it.

2rebecca Thu 18-Oct-12 09:55:19

They would freeze up here, parents would think the teacher had gone mad suggesting nightwear in October and vociferously complain. P6 sounds too old for them to be wandering around in nighties and pyjamas.

slartybartfast Thu 18-Oct-12 09:55:27

and take a teddy/hot water bottle.

Loobylou222 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:58:02

I would have loved to go to school in my pjs much more comfy than a uniform! X

MaryZed Thu 18-Oct-12 09:59:55

dd went to a guide pyjama party when she was 13.

I think 6 year olds would be happy to go to school in fluffy pj's. Obviously not in shortie pj's or nighties.

It's different, and what's more it's FUN. Good on the school for doing things that are fun occasionally.

Will the teachers be wearing pj's and dressing gowns? They did in dd's school, with a variety of very fetching nightcaps grin.

LilBlondePessimist Thu 18-Oct-12 10:00:07

When my ds1 was in P2 in Scotland (5-6yrs old), one of the little girls turned up in a satin babydoll nightie with a matching satin negligee on top, and kitten heel fluffy slippers!! In NOVEMBER!!! All the other little girls had on fluffy animal print pjs, terry robes and big fluffy slippers.

Right up to P7 though (age 10-11), they all wore pjs, robes over etc and seemed unembarrassed.

MaryZed Thu 18-Oct-12 10:00:39

Oh, and I forgot.

dd's secondary school had a film night one night where all the kids wore pj's and onesies and brought pillows and fleece blankets. These are kids from 12 to 18.

They had a ball.

SilverCharm Thu 18-Oct-12 10:01:13

They love it! Not sure about the lads though...they're a bit less relaxed about these things sadly.

HeadlessForHalloween Thu 18-Oct-12 10:02:59

I went to playgroup last Children in Need day in my long fleecy nighty and wellies and I'm 32! I'm one of the leaders btw, I didn't randomly turn up wink

It's just a bit of silly fun to raise some money.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 18-Oct-12 10:05:40

They did this at our school and pretty much the whole school joined in from Nursery to year 6, all the teachers were in their PJs too. Everyone had a really fun day.

Don't do it if you don't want to though but be aware your child might be the odd one out of your don't.

FreddieMercurysEnormusPumpkin Thu 18-Oct-12 10:05:55

Ask her what she would like to wear. Give her a choice of leggings or pjs. If you're worried about her being cold she can wear tights underneath.DS wore pjs to creche last week as a fundraiser for childline. Lighten up, it's a bit of fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now