Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed that.....

(22 Posts)
Splatt34 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:16:06

DH's parents have used christmas wrapping paper for DD's birthday present. Actually I know it is totally unreasonable & silly but it irritates me. To be fair we don't get on & I'm sort of surprised they even remembered it was her birthday. But is it too much to expect that a birthday present looks like a birthday present?

picnicbasketcase Thu 18-Oct-12 09:17:45

Yes, YABU, but you know that. If it bothers you that much, re-wrap it in birthday paper before you give it to your Dd.

YABU but only because sometimes if I run out of b/day wrapping paper I will wrap in xmas paper.

To be fair, I dont know one single kid who scrutinises the paper before ripping it to shreds to see whats inside.

Dont mind the little things and in the grand scheme of life, that is very little!!

SoleSource Thu 18-Oct-12 09:23:06

Yanbu they could have spent 50p on some wrspping paper. Re-wrap it. Say nothing. At least they give a present. Maybe was a mistake smile

BeingBooyhoo Thu 18-Oct-12 09:23:22

does your DD care what paper wraps her present? what age is DD?

Yeah YABU. It all goes in the bin anyway.

I can tell you dont like them, but this is not something to be taken personally!

Splatt34 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:26:06

Oh i know. but DPs parents, who only live 20 mins away, have only come to visit her in our house twice, ever. They make no effort. anything they buy her is from a charity shop and normally totally inappropriate (she's 2 and the other week she came back with a hat for a 12 month old & a coat for a 4 year old). I guess i just wish at some point they would show a bit of thought/effort. God knows what is in said package!!

theodorakis Thu 18-Oct-12 09:27:45

My mum is an avid recycler, we always get 5th used paper that is totally random. Actually we often get the gift we gave her last Christmas back the following year, often in the same paper!

BeingBooyhoo Thu 18-Oct-12 09:32:16

did the hat or coat fit her though? did you try them on her? i buy charity shop clothes for my dcs and depending on the brand i can get alot more wear that the ages stated on the label. my ds2 is 3.5 and has been wearing an age 9-12mnth coat since he was 1 year old, it was a bit big to start but kept him warm, now he wears it out in teh garden when he's going to be getting mucky as it's a bit short in teh sleeve for school. it cost £2. you sound snobby. there is nothing wrong with charity shop stuff.

picnicbasketcase Thu 18-Oct-12 09:32:17

My ILs often give Christmas gifts in birthday paper, they like to recycle the paper. The lack of thought that goes into the presents inside DOES bother me. sad

Maybe that's the real thing that's annoying you, the idea that they've not really put much thought into it including the paper. But I stand by my previous comment - if they won't be there when she unwraps it, just put it in different paper.

BeingBooyhoo Thu 18-Oct-12 09:34:24

and she's 2. she wont care about teh paper. is it possible they are just sensible people and realise that spending moeny on peppa pig wrapping paper when you have spare stuff already is silly when wrapping for a toddler?

mnistooaddictive Thu 18-Oct-12 09:38:46

I wrapped dd2 birthday presents in Christmas paper this week. I have do much Christmas paper and she loved it as it had princesses on. She didn't even realise. She also chose Christmas paper for pass the parcel paper. It doesn't matter. She is 4 by the way.

Nancy66 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:38:51

she won't give a shite about the paper. They remembered and bought her a present. You sound like yet another woman determined to hate her inlawas for no reason other than sheer spite.

diddl Thu 18-Oct-12 09:39:00

Well I think at 2 she won´t care.

My bday is near Christmas & I would sometimes get miffed that a present was in Christmas paper-as if the giver didn´t care enough to make the distinction-or thought Cmas was more important than my bday.

And of course they would never have done it for my sibling´s Summer bday!

Splatt34 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:41:15

I buy nearly all her clothes second hand. the hat fits her doll. the coat along with size 13 shoes are in the garage cos they will fit one day. It is just what appears to be a lack of attention that bothers me. I haven't seem them for 16 months so all i know of how they behave toward dd is what dh tells me & these random things she brings home. They just don't seem to think about what is appropriate. I know she has no idea about the paper it is metely symbolic

missymoomoomee Thu 18-Oct-12 09:43:24

They have shown thought and effort in buying her a gift. It sounds a bit like you are looking for reasons to complain since you already dislike them. Instead of being grateful that they remembered and bought her a gift you moan about previous things they have bought and complain about the wrapping paper which will last about 2 seconds anyway. I'm not surprised they don't visit often.

BeingBooyhoo Thu 18-Oct-12 09:52:35

"They just don't seem to think about what is appropriate."

how is buying her a coat that will fit her at a later date not appropriate? charity shops dont keep all sizes of every item in stock you know, when you see a good item you buy it, what harm does it do keeping it for a year? they are thinking of her aren't they? my mum buys my dcs clothes that are too big that will do them in six months or a year because they are nice and a good price and she doesn't want to pass it up.

Splatt34 Thu 18-Oct-12 10:09:27

Ok i think I've been taken the wrong way. There is way too much background to this situation to go into here and I think they & I have so much baggage that it doesn't take much for me to get irritated by them. Apologises

ViviPru Thu 18-Oct-12 10:13:15

OP They sound a bit tight and eccentric. Frugality and eccentricity are forgivable traits, but I can imagine how it might grate when it comes to your child for whom you would hope for a little more consideration.

MrsKeithRichards Thu 18-Oct-12 10:21:05

It wouldn't bother me. My dad's mate used to give us presents wrapped in newspaper. This was 20 years ago, he was tight then, economical and green now!

Fakebook Thu 18-Oct-12 11:52:07

Yeah, a two year old is really going to notice Christmas wrapping up paper hmm.

Cahoots Thu 18-Oct-12 11:58:00

YABU (extremely)

(sorry)

Maybe the reason they don't visit is because they feel uncomfortable with you. Is your disappointment with them obvious? Buying the wrong sized clothes is not the crime of the century.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now