Talk

Advanced search

to want to have a quick shower in the morning?

(34 Posts)
Fairylea Thu 18-Oct-12 09:12:57

Ds 4 months old thinks I am. smile

How does anyone do it.... have a shower with a young baby who is awake when you can't wait for them to sleep because you have a school run to be on time for with an older child ?

Not really complaining as ds is a joy and doesn't really cry but plays under his play mat and generally gets a bit grumpy but not much I can do!

What do others do? Being nosey really.

VerySmallSqueak Thu 18-Oct-12 09:14:34

Tbh I chose a time of day when dh was there or when mine were asleep when they were tiny.
As long as you have a daily shower or bath it shouldn't matter when.

BeingBooyhoo Thu 18-Oct-12 09:14:57

could you shower at night and have a quick flannel wash in teh mornings? what about bringing ds into the bathroom in a bouncer seat so he can see you?

CailinDana Thu 18-Oct-12 09:15:30

I always had a shower before DH went to work so he could look after DS. Still do in fact.

If that's not an option, could you put him in the bouncy chair in the bathroom with you? He might grizzle a bit but at least you'll know he's safe.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Thu 18-Oct-12 09:15:33

I put mine in a bouncy chair in the bathroom, until he grew out of it...

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:16:44

I used to bring my baby in to the room with me, either in car seat or bouncer.

3monkeys3 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:16:58

Before dh goes to work, otherwise I have to wait until ds2 is asleep.

VerySmallSqueak Thu 18-Oct-12 09:17:32

If I had to have mine in a chair in the bathroom I had a quick (already run) bath instead so I could see and hear them - just didn't like not being able to in the shower.

mumof3boys01 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:18:39

Used to sit ds in a bouncy chair by bathroom door so he could see me,also like to shower in morning other wise I feel unclean.

Fairylea Thu 18-Oct-12 09:22:24

Seems like the consensus is to bring him in the shower in his chair... will try that tomorrow.

I have to have a shower in the morning. Otherwise I don't feel right at all! Dh goes to work really reallye early. So it's just me and the dc.

BoerWarKids Thu 18-Oct-12 09:27:20

Play peekaboo with the shower curtain?

whatsforyou Thu 18-Oct-12 09:30:14

Yeah, bouncy chair in the bathroom for me, usually singing all the way through the shower to keep him occupied.
Now he's 1 it's the travel cot and waybaloo [embarrassed]
I like a shower in the morning though or I feel half asleep for the rest of the day.

whatsforyou Thu 18-Oct-12 09:30:56

Ha! That was meant to be blush!

cocolepew Thu 18-Oct-12 09:30:58

I always put mine in a boubcy chair. If they cried when I was in the shower, tough grin.

Bonsoir Thu 18-Oct-12 09:32:07

It's easier to have a bath and to put your baby in a bouncy chair on the floor next to you. You can make eye contact with you baby - he will much prefer it to you taking a shower, which many babies find very frightening.

teacher123 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:34:28

I stick DS (6 months) in his cot with some music playing and some toys. Start running shower, take clothes off, put DS in cot, run in, have shower, come out, sing and talk to DS whilst getting dressed. I dry hair and put make up on if/when he has a nap later on. I have to have a shower first thing otherwise I feel grotty all day. I've always done this since he was really tiny, I figure that if he's been safe asleep in his cot at night, he'll be safe in there for 5 mins whilst I have a wash!

Whenisitmysleepytime Thu 18-Oct-12 09:36:07

It gets a lot harder when they cant be strapped in anywhere.

I feel for you. My dc are 3.5 and 1.5 and dh is working away ATM. Having a shower is very very fast now and usually accompanied by shouting or worrying silences. hmm

StuntNun Thu 18-Oct-12 09:39:25

I have a shower over the bath and used to strap DS1 into his pushchair while I had a shower so I could talk to him and distract him. It would be more difficult with a walk-in shower though. You may just have to leave him safely in his cot and hope he doesn't cry. If you start avoiding showers because you feel you can't leave him for a few minutes then you'll start to get resentful.

StuntNun Thu 18-Oct-12 09:40:51

Is there any chance you could bring him into the shower with you? He might like that, my neighbour doesn't have a bath so the kids have been showered since they were babies. You'd have to learn to wash your hair with one hand though which might be tricky.

ENormaSnob Thu 18-Oct-12 09:41:09

I used to put ds2 in his cot so I could have a quick shower every morning.

Wash hair and shave legs at night so I was quicker.

SomethingSuitablyWitty Thu 18-Oct-12 09:43:29

I used to put DD in cot with a mobile that she really loved. If she settled to it - which she generally did - I'd have about 15 minutes in hand.

DialMforMummy Thu 18-Oct-12 09:44:01

I shower at night, when to bed last night with wet hair, woke up this morning looking like a knackered Diana Ross. grin
Otherwise, stick DC in bouncer in front of a mirror in the bathroom while you shower. DC2 loves looking at mirrors and lights.

TerrorNotSoFrightened Thu 18-Oct-12 10:52:25

I hope the chair works for you, DD screamed bloody murder and it just made showering a bit of a PITA.
I started having a shower at night once she was in bed, getting a good wash, shaving underarms, shampooing hair etc , put a conditioning treatment on hair and go to bed with one of those turban towels on.
So in the morning I am only in the shower a few mins, wash self while conditioner rinses out.
I still do it even though both DC are now older, saves he's of time in the morning.

valiumredhead Thu 18-Oct-12 12:03:42

I used to put ds in the car seat while I had a very quick shower - if he grizzled it was only for a couple of minutes so no harm done - or I used to leave him in his cot if he was happy.

lottiegarbanzo Thu 18-Oct-12 12:06:28

Bouncy chair, still working at 7 months. Used to lie / prop her sitting on a chair, surrounded by folded towels, until she got mobile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now