Talk

Advanced search

to think that all of UK's supermarkets should charge for a carrier bag?

(81 Posts)
SoleSource Wed 17-Oct-12 22:31:58

This topic was featured on The One Show this evenibg.

I pkan to use my big blue Ikea bags for shopping from now on and the bag for life for just a,dew itens.

Sorry it is boring but I feel important.

T- Rex's get free bags, of coyrse grin

WorraLiberty Wed 17-Oct-12 22:35:42

No but MN should charge you for every typo you make grin

I've got a bag for life and judging by the state of it, they're not expecting me to live for more than a fortnight.

I don't drive so quite often I need a bag for my shopping if I've decided to pop into the shop unexpectedly on my way home.

Anyway, we all pay for the bags because the cost is factored into their overheads.

Hassled Wed 17-Oct-12 22:36:49

Yes, I agree. Works well in Ireland.

SecretNutellaFix Wed 17-Oct-12 22:37:25

Every shop in Wales already does.

fudge74 Wed 17-Oct-12 22:37:34

YANBU I think free bags just encourage us to go unprepared. They charge in Wales now. I just wish my collection of cloth bags were less tatty looking sad

SoleSource Wed 17-Oct-12 22:38:40

Worra lol you are unforgiving of late grin

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Wed 17-Oct-12 22:39:14

Yabu.

3monkeys3 Wed 17-Oct-12 22:39:58

I think the focus on plastic bags is a bit misguided myself - there are far more pressing environmental concerns. It's almost like a distraction technique to stop people worrying about the bigger issues like cars, nappies and so on. I saw a poster in our local petrol station saying that every time someone uses a plastic bag a sea turtle dies - what a load of crap!

OhlimpPricks Wed 17-Oct-12 22:40:13

No, because the supermarkets should pay for them. They make enough profit from customers, and I get extremely irritated by their sanctimonious stance, telling his much they are giving to conservation charities. They're not all heart - there are financial advantages to supporting and donating to charity...

Scholes34 Wed 17-Oct-12 22:41:34

Absolutely they should charge. Even if they're only 5p, it makes people think before using them, but they're still available if needed. Aldi charges, and people tend to cope without bags.

MrsPresley Wed 17-Oct-12 22:41:46

YABU

We all spend enough money in the supermarkets as it is!

I do use bags for life (and other reusable ones) when I can but sometimes I do forget to take them, or pop in unexpexctedly.

I refuse to pay for bags, when I spend so much already and no longer buy anything from M & S for this reason unless I have a bag, not that they have noticed my one woman protest grin

Plus it wpuld really piss me off to pay say 2p for a bag that breaks before I even get back to the car...Yes, that's you Tesco!

VivaLeBeaver Wed 17-Oct-12 22:42:21

It won't be long before supermarkets are selling rolls of carrier bags along with the bin bags.

They're so useful, I use them for lots of things.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 17-Oct-12 22:43:14

Yanbu

FutTheShuckUp Wed 17-Oct-12 22:44:23

Why should T-Rex's get free bags? Surely there's an ism there somewhere!!!

reddaisy Wed 17-Oct-12 22:44:33

YANBU

SoleSource Wed 17-Oct-12 22:44:50

I use carrier bags for all sorts of things.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 17-Oct-12 22:45:31

Although if I'm proper nice shopping, for clothes and shoes presents I do like all the random bags brimming with my wares!

I use my reusable bags for the supermarket, corner shop, farm shop, high street but how does it work with fancy shops?

ContinentalKat Wed 17-Oct-12 22:45:53

YANBU. Have lived in several countries that make you pay for plastic bags. You quickly get used to bringing your own.
I still do it, as I don't want to drown in bloody plastic bags!

moonstorm Wed 17-Oct-12 22:48:50

YABU

If they cared about the environment (as opposed to wanting to line their pockets under a pretense) plastic bags would be banned and replaced with paper (with the option to but fabric bags)

WorraLiberty Wed 17-Oct-12 22:48:52

What do you mean of late? wink

No I think rather than charging for bags, they should give a discount (however small) to those who bring their own.

I do my bit for the environment by walking to and from the supermarket instead of driving, I also (as a customer) pay for the bags anyway so wtf should I pay again?

Fakebook Wed 17-Oct-12 22:52:22

I have about 5 "bags for life" from 5 different shops and they never leave my kitchen cupboard. Always forget them. Our local tesco has made their carrier bags thinner. I reuse all my old bags as bin bags. YABU.

floozietoozie Wed 17-Oct-12 23:01:57

I live in Wales and I have to say your attitude towards shopping does change. I am not a very prepared person at all, but in the year since the bag charge was introduced I have managed to pretty much always have a fold up bag in my handbag for emergency shopping, and if I make a planned trip to the local shops or supermarket I always take bags with me. Whenever I'm in England now it seems totally weird and a bit wrong to me that anything I buy gets stuffed into a plastic bag without question, or rather would if I didn't stop them and produce my own bag. After just six months, the use of single-use carriers had dropped by up to 90% in some supermarkets - though I have to say I suspect sales of "bag for life" have risen! I'm not perfect on it, as the number of bags for life in my kitchen will attest although DP is to blame for most of them but it definitely made a massive difference to our consumption of plastic. It's true there are other important environmental issues, but I don't think that makes this one irrelevant. I was all for it having seen it in operation in Ireland before it came in here. The difference is in Ireland there's no charge for paper bags, so lots of fashion stores in particular have gone over to using them, whereas here, unless it's loose produce like fruit and veg, all bags cost you.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 18-Oct-12 00:06:58

I'm in Canada and in two of the supermarkets I use, they don't have plastic bags. One has paper (annoying) or reusable. The other has reusable or nothing. I forget at least once a week month.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 18-Oct-12 00:07:43

Also, if you use reusable in one of the stores, they enter you in a prize draw. We won a turkey once!

IAmNoAngel Thu 18-Oct-12 01:21:01

I also no longer shop at M&S because I refuse to pay for plastic bags, and would also boycott any of the main supermarkets if they started to charge for them.

I do shop at Aldi sometimes, and I make the effort to take my own, but for me Aldi is an exception as they are so much cheaper than the others, so YABU: the likes of Tesco etc should pay for them, they make enough profit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now