Talk

Advanced search

To think Radon is a mountain out of a molehill?

(11 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Wed 17-Oct-12 21:58:50

It seems like living in a radon affected area is the norm rather than the exception? Looking at the maps, tons of counties have a 1-3% radon rating. Personally I'd only be worried if I was in a 5% or higher area.

But should this be a factor in choosing where you buy a house?? AIBU to suspect the 1-3% 'danger' really isn't such a big deal?

riskit4abiskit Wed 17-Oct-12 22:02:52

I checked for subsidence (sp?) But never heard of checking for radon?

Is it radioactive?

AnyFuleKno Wed 17-Oct-12 22:04:03

it's that nucular innit

DameMargotFountain Wed 17-Oct-12 22:05:30

oh, there was a big scare about radon gas under the area i live in - in the 1990s i think

i thought it was about that washing powder that came in a bright orange box when i 1st saw the headlines blush

BoyMeetsWorld Wed 17-Oct-12 22:08:20

DameMargot grin .

I knew nothing of killer substances until today either. DMIL using it as a reason not to buy a property (she seems to find reasons for EVERY property) angry

LineRunner Wed 17-Oct-12 22:12:16

The Elf and Safety Executive are making Councils pays for radon tests on all public buildings, council houses and schools where there is a 'radon risk', i.e. more that 0%, apparently. This somewhat bizarrely includes huge areas with a non-granite geology.

Beamur Wed 17-Oct-12 22:13:08

I think even if your house does have radon (it can accumulate in cellars and such like) it can be tested and detected for and removed. It's dangerous - can cause lung cancer, but can also be mitigated and removed.

LineRunner Wed 17-Oct-12 22:13:53

Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.

Stinkyminkymoo Wed 17-Oct-12 22:15:15

Don't you mean Rylan? I mean he's pretty toxic... wink

LineRunner Wed 17-Oct-12 22:21:30

Hopefully Rylan has a shorter half-life.

Narked Wed 17-Oct-12 22:30:58

I don't think such low levels are a big deal. It's the higher levels in areas like Cornwall that are more of a cause for concern/action.

here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now