Advanced search

To retrain as a building inspector?

(11 Posts)
zombieplanmum Wed 17-Oct-12 15:00:34

And to think i could study part-time for this? and maybe even get help with the costs of the course? ok ok, im starting to see the ridiculousness of it all.

I'd be so good at this job, i have a good understanding of all things "building" - self employed DP and its me who keeps abreast of the building regulations. I have one of those memories that remembers shit like that. I have great problem solving skills etc, good with people etc etc.

I wonder how people do this? Is it a degree (then id rule out actually) or HNC(a possibility?) Where can i find this out I wonder?

The building inspector who came out to a job i was working on with DP last week was an oldish guy so i wonder if you have to have some sort of building experience or a "trade", anyone know??

titchy Wed 17-Oct-12 15:05:51

Bloody hard degree! I think you have to be a member of RICS, which means being a qualified chartered surveyor = 3 years degree + at least a year postgrad to get the membership.

SwedishEdith Wed 17-Oct-12 15:05:54

Ha! Have just been reading the bathroom extractor fan thread and thinking the same thing grin and have recently had an extension so obviously know everything about building regs now

Pendeen Wed 17-Oct-12 15:07:55

Talking to our local man som time ago, I understand that the old Institute of Building Control was taken over by the RICS, so this is the way to qualify: Building Control

Degree only I believe...

spoonsspoonsspoons Wed 17-Oct-12 15:16:37

Local authorities are getting rid of building inspectors rather than recruiting in the current climate.

HongKongPhooy Wed 17-Oct-12 15:17:23

i work in the construction industry....there is not much happening at the moment. We have laid off a lot of staff and some big main contractors have gone bust

I would be worried about job prospects after putting in so much time and effort, to get qualified

zombieplanmum Wed 17-Oct-12 20:07:21

ah, thanks guys, i wont go there then! I already have two degrees, three would make a song smile figures, there are a LOT of regulations smile Maybe i was just thinking of working with all those hunky builder types grin

Mandy2003 Wed 17-Oct-12 21:04:17

What about a job in environmental health? They can get quite "builder-ey" when they need to eg. looking for sources of damp in rented properties and that sort of thing?

Pendeen Thu 18-Oct-12 16:32:11


I understand the degree doesn't have to be specific so you might be able to re-use one of the two you already have and would only have to do a conversion course plus structured training and an interview - if that helps.

Might be worth an email to the RICS...

Jins Thu 18-Oct-12 16:44:12

Yes a relevant degree and experience might get you there if you do a suitable conversion course

Jins Thu 18-Oct-12 16:45:08

Sorry - a not very relevant degree.

EHO's need specific training as well Mandy

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: