Talk

Advanced search

Leaving the baby on the car whilst you collect your older DC from school - would you?

(119 Posts)
MolotovBomb Wed 17-Oct-12 13:51:15

I was chatting to one of the other Mums whose son is in the same class as my DD1. We both have new babies: her DD is 7mo and mine is just 6mo.

We were talking about how getting the babies out of the car can wake them, which can be a pain. "Oh, that's why I leave 7mo in the car. I can't be doing with the hassle. I know I take a risk, but ..."

"Do you think she's safe?" Asked I (before really thinking)

"Well, I think she's safe" Said the other Mum.

The car park is round the corner from the class. You turn a corner and cannot see it. I'm usually in for 5-10 minutes collecting my DD.

AIBU to think there's no way on this earth I'd leave my sleeping baby alone in the car?

WorraLiberty Wed 17-Oct-12 13:52:04

Gosh no

What if they fell off?

MolotovBomb Wed 17-Oct-12 13:52:18

There's an amusing type-o in my subject line. Of course, it should read 'in' the car ...

megandraper Wed 17-Oct-12 13:53:42

I wouldn't. But then I can't drive, so I don't get the chance!

MolotovBomb Wed 17-Oct-12 13:53:55

grin @ Worra

It's these flippin' iPhone keys and autocorrections!

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Wed 17-Oct-12 13:54:56

I wouldn't.

ishopthereforeiam Wed 17-Oct-12 13:55:56

Nope.

I also don't leave them (21 mo and 3 mo) in the car if I need to pay for petrol etc. Chances are they would be fine but just in case... I'd never forgive myself.

GwendolineScaryLacey Wed 17-Oct-12 13:56:40

Depends where I'm parked, if it's pissing rain, if she's just fallen asleep after fighting it all day...

I have done, when I'm parked in the lucky space near the doors and have been in and out. I wouldn't if I couldn't see her or if she was parked on the road.

donnie Wed 17-Oct-12 13:56:47

I predict a riot wink

GwendolineScaryLacey Wed 17-Oct-12 13:57:24

I do leave her while I pay for petrol or nip into the Tesco express though.

MolotovBomb Wed 17-Oct-12 13:59:05

That's my attitude, Ishop I'd worry the entire time; through my mind would run 'MadelineMcCannMadelineMcCann'

I don't like to think I've succumbed to media hysteria, but I just couldn't leave her alone.

Sirzy Wed 17-Oct-12 13:59:20

No chance. It you can't see the car then you shouldn't leave the child in it

andallthatjargon Wed 17-Oct-12 13:59:48

I never did / have even though I am 99.9% sure it would be fine in this area / mums hanging about / head on gate can see cars, still wouldn't!! Me and others have got each others kids whilst watching cars with sleeping babies?

GoSakuramachi Wed 17-Oct-12 14:00:31

I always leave the younger ones in the car when collecting each older child, but they aren't that far away. They can't get out of the seats, they are perfectly safe. Safer than taking them out anyway.

AuntieStella Wed 17-Oct-12 14:02:34

No, never out of sight.

Sirzy Wed 17-Oct-12 14:03:49

Having seen the idiotic driving outside schools and the amount of little bumps which happen that would put me off more than if they could get out of the car seats!

ishopthereforeiam Wed 17-Oct-12 14:04:39

Also - I remember one of my earliest memories was waking up in the car parked alone as my mum had been into the shops. No idea how long I was there, maybe just a minute or two but I was crying so much lots of people had gathered around and were staring in the windows blush!

Jenny70 Wed 17-Oct-12 14:06:30

It depends on where you live, how far etc. My children were at 2 diff schools last year less than a mile apart. Dd's school I would say yes to mum leaving baby for a minute, tiny suburban street, can see cars & pickup point from near school gate (so once class is out can get child & walk straight back), the risk would be teeeny tiny.

Other school on v. busy road. School gates closed and you walk up long drive & pickup is around several bends in path. Nowhere to park near the gate (those that drive park a 5min walk in surrounding streets), so not practical (fairly sure it would be ok, but wouldn't chance it). I have sat in car for friends babies, but doubt antone would leave them.

And this is same neighbourhood, same "nice, safe area", just v. Ddiff scenarios.

firemansamisnormansdad Wed 17-Oct-12 14:07:56

A sleeping baby in a locked car is safer than wide awake 6 year olds, lurching around inside a car and playing with the handbrake and steering wheel. I didn't leave DS when he was a baby and asleep. I did, however, leave him once he was old enough to talk and to understand concepts (ie about 2-3 and still in a 5-point harness which he hadn't worked out how to unlock). If I had to pick up DD and he was awake, I would tell him that he could come with me or stay in the car. If he stayed in the car then I would tell him that I was going to get out, lock it and I would be a little bit of time to go and get DD. He was always fine but it depends on the child.

MolotovBomb Wed 17-Oct-12 14:09:30

Yes, ours is consisered a nice, safe area, too. I still don't think I could do it. I think the baby would be fine, but I just couldn't walk away to a point where I couldn't see her.

MolotovBomb Wed 17-Oct-12 14:13:05

I dont think that the baby would come to any harm. Ultimately, it's the kidnap scenario that terrifies me sad I'd rather wake her, as cruel as that might be!

MolotovBomb Wed 17-Oct-12 14:14:08

I meant to write 'come to any harm in the car

MrsWolowitz Wed 17-Oct-12 14:16:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WelshMaenad Wed 17-Oct-12 14:17:10

I do, have since he was little, but I have permission to park in the staff car park, which is next to the infant steps.

Everlong Wed 17-Oct-12 14:19:55

There will those who say yes it's fine.

It probably would be.

But my default setting is neurosis. Mores the pity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now