Talk

Advanced search

to not be able to make packet custard

(9 Posts)
adogcalledbetty Wed 17-Oct-12 09:13:50

Its just the ordinary Bird's type stuff I want to make, not the clever posh stuff with eggs and cream, but it always goes lumpy despite following the instructions to the letter I do, honestly

I know I could buy the type in a carton, ready made, but I'd like to be able to make the other stuff so I know kind of what's in it. Guide me, please.

Indith Wed 17-Oct-12 09:21:14

The one time I made packet it went lumpy. I can do proper from scratch no problem hmm.

GoSakuramachi Wed 17-Oct-12 09:22:04

Whisk it more. hmm

and shouldn't this be in Food?

Goldmandra Wed 17-Oct-12 09:25:58

I mix the powder with a bit of cold milk, then let it down with a bit more and mix it again, then add the rest of the milk and heat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until it thickens.

The only thing that goes wrong for me is that I forget to watch it/stir it and it boils up and overflows all over the inside of the microwave.

Mrsjay Wed 17-Oct-12 09:27:26

BUY a carton grin last time i bought powder it just ended up a clumpy mess life is to short to worry about it,

SecretNutellaFix Wed 17-Oct-12 09:31:07

That's why cartons were invented.

grin

MoreBeta Wed 17-Oct-12 09:31:50

Mix powder with a very small amount of cold milk so it is a smooth paste and no lumps in a large glass bowl - as a guide make a bit runnier than toothpaste.

Then pour on milk that is just below boiling point and whisk vigorously while doing so.

If it doesnt thicken put bowl on top of a pan of boiling water and keep stirring until it coat sthe back of a spoon and a finger drawn through it leaves a definite trail. You can do it in a microwave but it is a bit more risky.

Trills Wed 17-Oct-12 09:45:22

It's not really unreasonable, is it?

Just buy it in a tin. Tinned custard is lovely.

Tinuviel Wed 17-Oct-12 09:50:12

Do you mean 'packet' where you just add water or tin of powder that you add sugar and milk to?

If you mean packet, I wouldn't have a clue because it is an expensive way to buy custard; if you mean tin of powder, YABVU as my 10 year old DD can make that and it doesn't go lumpy!!

Put powder in jug; add sugar; add a little milk; stir; add rest of milk; microwave for 2 mins at a time, stirring between each 2 mins; watch it all the time or it will boil over!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now