Talk

Advanced search

to pay someone to do my laundry?

(55 Posts)
Izzybuzzybuzzybees Tue 16-Oct-12 15:14:57

I am 36 weeks pregnant with excruciating SPD and a newly diagnosed chest infection. I feel like shit and the laundry like is now no longer a pile but a huge bloody mountain or two if I am honest.

I have been looking online and found a few laundrette type places that offer what they call a service wash. They claim to pick up, wash, dry, fold and deliver back to me all for the price of around £8 a bag.

AIBU to consider and pay to get this done when I'm on mat leave and skint. I just can't see me catching up at all!

Adviceinscotland Tue 16-Oct-12 15:16:44

I would think yabu or at least just wasting money, the washing and drying is the easy part it's the putting away which is a bugger and you would still have to do that.

MrsKeithRichards Tue 16-Oct-12 15:17:36

Agree it's the putting away that causes me problems!

valiumredhead Tue 16-Oct-12 15:18:12

Do it!!!!!

Bonsoir Tue 16-Oct-12 15:18:24

Go for it.

sooperdooper Tue 16-Oct-12 15:19:35

Do it smile

JeezyOrangePips Tue 16-Oct-12 15:19:49

YANBU. It's hard to get back on top of a laundry mountain. This will make it easier and less stressful.

VinegarTits Tue 16-Oct-12 15:21:47

putting away is the easy bit, unless you dont iron it, then its stays in the laundry basket forwever waiting to be ironed, if you iron you are more likely to put it away smile

yanbu

MsMoastyToasty Tue 16-Oct-12 15:22:19

YANBU

Use them to clear the mountain - if you don't have a tumble dryer it will take ages to clear it all in this weather and you'll just feel like you're chasing your tail as you generate more washing each day.

You should be resting and eating cake right now smile

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Tue 16-Oct-12 15:22:35

It's honestly gotten such a huge mountain that I can't see another way out :-(

valiumredhead Tue 16-Oct-12 15:22:48

Do you have a dh/dp could they not bung a couple of loads in the machine?

valiumredhead Tue 16-Oct-12 15:24:11

Oh just read it's huge mountain - just get it done, you will fell better for it not being there X

Astelia Tue 16-Oct-12 15:24:56

I agree with the others that the washing and drying are the easy bit, the ironing and putting away are the bits that seem to take for ever.

Can you set up a box near the washing machine for each member of the family and drop their clean dry clothes in. They can take the box and put it all away and return the box.

One idea to save having to sort undies is to have a big zipped net bag for each person. They hang it somewhere where they get undressed and put all dirty underwear in it. Every few days you wash and dry the whole bag- no sorting is needed.

valiumredhead Tue 16-Oct-12 15:27:27

Well the bending to and from the machine won't be very easy - get it done!

VerySmallSqueak Tue 16-Oct-12 15:29:11

At least get some of it done so you have a chance of clearing it.

YANBU.

Shinyshoes1 Tue 16-Oct-12 15:29:14

if you have the money , go for it. That's what they are there for, they are offering a service and you would like to pay for that service, win/win

VerySmallSqueak Tue 16-Oct-12 15:30:51

Astelia that is a fantastic idea.Are zipped net bags safe in the tumble drier?

Mintyy Tue 16-Oct-12 15:36:21

Are you on your own? If not, why can't your partner do it?

VerySmallSqueak Tue 16-Oct-12 15:39:00

Sounds like you could do with a bit of rest tbh from all the chores,at least until your chest is better.
Can anyone help out a few days?

mummymeister Tue 16-Oct-12 15:40:08

if you can afford it do it but you will have to then either pay for it again before you deliver baby or try and do a bit every other day to keep on top of it. dont you have a friend or neighbour who could come and help you out? how are you going to keep on top of it once baby is born. get a plan in place now for coping after the baby arrives because you wont miraculously feel fabulous after you give birth - far from it.

TerrorNotSoFrightened Tue 16-Oct-12 15:52:11

If you can afford it, do it.
I did quite recently and it was the best money I spent in a long time.

I am now religiously putting a load on after dinner every night, and it goes out or in the dryer after the school run. I have delegated the putting away to DH.

starfishmummy Tue 16-Oct-12 16:08:06

If you can afford it, then go for it!

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Tue 16-Oct-12 16:15:28

I think once I've caught up we will be fine. I have a DH who is fantastic and has been doing loads but we have still fallen massively behind which is the problem. The mountain is huge so I think I will just pay to get it done and hope that when that's out the way we can be better!

KenLeeeeeee Tue 16-Oct-12 16:49:38

YANBU. Do it! Yes you'll still have to put it away, but that will be much more realistic if you have also had to deal with bending and shovelling it in and out of the washer and dryer.

KenLeeeeeee Tue 16-Oct-12 16:50:16

*haven't! Not 'have'. Sorry, I got a bit too excited by the daydream of someone else tackling MY massive mountain of laundry. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now