Talk

Advanced search

to hate my mum's perfume

(105 Posts)
leavesarefalling Tue 16-Oct-12 10:52:41

My mum has worn the same perfume forever, L'Air du Temps.

She sprays it on VERY liberally (and frequently) and when we are in a confined space like a car, or if it's warm, it makes me sick and gives me a headache.

For Xmas I gave her a new perfume, Chance, but she has never worn it.

I am wondering if her perfume is out of date, as she has litres of the stuff from birthdays and Xmas's and Duty -free, and she is a real hoarder, never- throw-anything-away sort of person.

She is very easily offended by comments and I don't know how to raise this with her!

Gigondas Tue 16-Oct-12 10:57:47

Perfume is a very personal thing ime so buying her something you liked may not go down so well if she is keen on her old favourite.
You could ask her not to spray in car etc as gives you a headache. Also maybe buy her shower gel and body lotion version for Xmas as that has a more subtle smell.

Yanbu to feel its overpowering but I would tread carefully about what you say as it may come out as "you stink".

squoosh Tue 16-Oct-12 11:03:29

YABU.

I'd rather stick my nose in a skunk's bumhole than wear Angel. But clearly lots of people love Angel as I seem to smell it everywhere. Seeing as your Mum is stockpiling L'Air du Temps it's clear she loves that particular perfume.

You can't tell your Mum to change her perfume but you can ask that she doesn't spray it when you're stuck in a car with her.

greenrabbits Tue 16-Oct-12 11:52:45

YABU. But I sympathise - L'air du Temps is minging.

StuntGirl Tue 16-Oct-12 11:55:13

My dad wears Kouros and I hate it with fiery passion. The small makes me feel sick, esp. in enclosed spaces like a car. Luckily he doesn't spray it in the car.

Unfortunately perfume is a very personal choice and it would probably upset her and achieve nothing if you told her. I would however ask her politely not to spray it in the car.

Bingdweller Tue 16-Oct-12 12:01:47

My MIL will only wear either 'Youth Dew' or 'Blue Grass'. Both make my stomach turn but she loves them and I would never hurt her feelings.

The top 5 (excluding above) of my hated perfumes/aftershaves are:

Poison
Eden
Angel
Fahrenheit
Samsara

Definitely a Chanel girl here, but each to their own lol!

hiddenhome Tue 16-Oct-12 12:03:40

Anybody who wears perfume is being unreasonable. It stinks and pollutes the surrounding air sad

Bingdweller Tue 16-Oct-12 12:04:06

Leaves, if your mum is not going to use the Chance you gave her, feel free to send it to meeeee!

RamblingRosa Tue 16-Oct-12 12:10:46

Ah, YANBU to hate her perfume but YABU if you are going to tell her that! I completely sympathise. I have the same problem (in fact, I think it might be L'Air du Temps too). My mum's perfume makes me feel quite nauseous and she seems to always spray it on quite liberally. I find it makes me feel really ill in confined spaces like on car journeys but I don't think there's anything I can say really.

It's just one of those grit your teeth and put up with it things.

GiserableMitt Tue 16-Oct-12 12:13:53

Chance is so strong! (but I do have it and wear it, but not if we're spending the day in the car).

My Mum's DH wears the strongest, most-awful (IMO) after-shave and douses himself in it just before we get in the car.

Bing I hate Blue Grass too (I think of it as an old lady's perfume).

<sniffs arms sprayed with Opium> grin

Unlurked Tue 16-Oct-12 12:14:34

Yanbu but you can't tell her! You can ask her not to spray it in the car (cos that is a weird thing to do anyway). I hate all perfumes, why can't everyone just smell of nothing?! Even normal human sweat would be preferable to me.

GilbGeekette Tue 16-Oct-12 12:14:58

Bing - one of my colleagues used to wear Farenheit and I used to have to avoid him or talk utter gibberish. It's one of my favourite smells ever! Turns my brain to mush blush

That said, I do loathe perfume levels that are like being tear gassed. I suspect that I don't wear enough because I dislike being mugged by other peoples perfume, but also because I wear Fracas which is a bit love it or hate it and quite strong.

Bingdweller Tue 16-Oct-12 12:21:26

I used to hate it when my newborn babies were being cuddled by friends/relatives and were handed back to me stinking of perfume. Even if I like it, it has no place being on my wee baby.

Am very careful not to wear strong perfume when seeing babies.

valiumredhead Tue 16-Oct-12 12:22:01

squoosh I hate Angel too it's vile. My best friend use to wear it and I threw up once when I was pregnant and she'd sprayed it all over herself. Blerk!

Bingdweller Tue 16-Oct-12 12:23:07

Gilb it reminds me of sweaty adolescent boys trying to cover up the fact they haven't had a shower! It must have been the aftershave of choice for lads in the mid nineties....

mejon Tue 16-Oct-12 12:26:58

I've no idea what perfume my mother uses but she seems to think that spraying herself with it liberally means we can't smell the cigarrette smoke hmm. Sometimes you can even 'taste' it which is revloting. It's either perfume or very heavily scented handcream. When she came to stay with us when I was pg with DD1 I had to ask her not to use so much as it was making me feel sick.

GilbGeekette Tue 16-Oct-12 12:27:05

Bing - that would be about my time then. Maybe it's some sort of hormone-memory. Blimey, time for a brew I think!

Anyone remember LouLou? It used to make me nauseated. Had to give away a big bottle of it that I'd got as a pressie. Strangely on just one friend of mine it smelt quite nice, must have been her skin chemistry changed it a bit!

OP, what about testing the new variations on L'Air Du Temps - there are some summery ones - find one you like and give it as a pressie? More chance of your DM wearing it (even if it smells completely different) as she hopefully will perceive it as a similar smell.

Or perhaps take her to the Jo Malone counter and tell her you are testing a couple of the scents for yourself and get her to test a couple (pretend it's an afterthought) - there's a strong chance she'll find one of them that she likes.

(mmm, must go to Jo Malone at lunchtime...)

valiumredhead Tue 16-Oct-12 12:28:38

Oh God, I used to wear Lou Lou when I was bout 14!

Oh, I remember reading somewhere that your sense of smell gets less sensitive as you get older, perhaps your DM doesn't realise she has put so much perfume on?

GilbGeekette Tue 16-Oct-12 12:33:25

Was Loulou in a blue vaguely triangular (?) bottle? Think I might have worn that too. When I ran out of Charlie <cringe>

Oh, valium remember Anais Anais?

I worked on the Holyhead car ferry for one summer in the duty free, and one day the girl on the perfume counter was asked for "Anus Anus".

Bingdweller Tue 16-Oct-12 12:35:23

Ooh Lou Lou. And Dune. Forgot about them.

valiumredhead Tue 16-Oct-12 12:36:07

www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/invt/0001941/&temp=productdetail

Yes, don't mind Anais or L'Air du Temps - it's the heavier ones I can't stand.

grin @ anus anus

Blue plastic bottle with wine coloured lid... classy

lou lou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now