Talk

Advanced search

to be so tired and not know what to do

(24 Posts)
Filibear Tue 16-Oct-12 09:54:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Molehillmountain Tue 16-Oct-12 09:57:17

Can you catch up a bit at the weekend? It's grim being tired sad

BigWitchLegsInWailyTights Tue 16-Oct-12 09:59:32

How old is DS?

I think your DH will have to do the waking up for a few days solid...then you can do the weekend maybe?

Tel DH you''re at the end of the rope and ask him if he will do the waking up so you can sleep...then on Friday...you do it for three nights?

BigWitchLegsInWailyTights Tue 16-Oct-12 10:00:30

If dH can get back to sleep easily...it's tough but he might have to take it on in the name of good sense. Otherwise you will get ill and then you wont be able to work anyway...

Ithinkitsjustme Tue 16-Oct-12 10:01:40

How old is your DS? Can you use anything to help him to sleep through, if it's his cold that is waking him. I used to put my DC's mattress on a slope to help them breathe when they were very little etc. I do feel for you, I can remember those days.

hedgehogpatronus Tue 16-Oct-12 10:15:34

What a bastarding situation. I know what you mean about taking it in turns for night wakings not working, I have the same problem.

Can you perhaps carve out a sliver of time for yourself to go for a walk, or get some exercise another way? I know it's near impossible when you're so knackered already, but it really is the only thing that works to give me more energy to get through the day.

Other practical things might help too, like taking a good multivitamin, drinking lots of water, buying yourself some really nice coffee or tea or whatever your preferred caffeine source is and prioritise drinking as many cups as you want (with some chocolate on the side).

Guided meditation cds/mp3s are good too, for a quick refresh when you don't have time for a proper sleep, and also for putting on at night when you know DH will be getting up to the dcs, it might enable you to sleep through him getting up if you can't hear it.

Other than that I have no other useful advice, but you have my sympathy.

RationalBrain Tue 16-Oct-12 10:22:10

You sound at the end of your tether. Practical solutions like above, yes yes. But short term, if you are about to break, and you have no holiday left, why don't you take a sick day and spend the day resting? I would never ever ever do this unless I was utterly on my knees (in fact I probably have maybe one day a year off, when I am actually sick), but sometimes something has got to give.

alienreflux Tue 16-Oct-12 10:32:20

oh love i really sympathise sad what about trying some homepathic tablets like nitol? then tell DH he will have to do the night shift for a few nights, thing with sleep is, it builds up, so you're not just trying to catch up on that night, but the whole weeks worth.
Chamomile, hot bath, and bloody valium if need be, do what you have to, it's good your DH shares this with you, chin up, and get it sorted
(I'd be dubious about the drink as much caffiene as you want advice ???!!)

Molehillmountain Tue 16-Oct-12 10:33:57

I second the suggestion of taking a sick day. If you are as exhausted as you are then you are actually ill.

FireOverBabylon Tue 16-Oct-12 11:12:18

I found that when I was breastfeeding, I couldn't get back to sleep because I was cold. If it's the same for you, maybe consider sleeping in extra layers, or getting an electric blanket that you can switch on when you get out of bed, so it's warm when you get back in again.

Also, could you see if another childminder could provide you with cover in December, when your CM is on leave, freeing up your annual leave? For an odd few days, you wouldn't mind covering CM's AL, but for a whole month? I would go back to the childminder and ask her for recommendations of other local childminders - does she have it in her contract that she can take a month's leave like this? if my son's nursery just shut up shop for a month we'd be stuffed. You need to have a day's leave to catch up on sleep.

Make sure your DS has a (extra) pillow under his mattress to raise his head, and has both calpol and piriton (it's supposed to help clear mucus) before he goes to sleep, as well as vics on his chest. Giving him calpol / nurofen regularly during the day will also help reduce the inflammation and make it easier for him to sleep.

fotheringhay Tue 16-Oct-12 11:13:56

Just to briefly tell you my experience of not sleeping - it started when ds was 6 weeks, and after two years of (what I now think was) denial, I've accepted it is a symptom of PND/anxiety. Having realised that, I took antidepressants and am having counselling, and my sleep is loads better.

I tend to think now that insomnia always has a reason, rather than just happening randomly. Hope things improve for you soon.

Brycie Tue 16-Oct-12 11:14:22

I think you need a day in bed and some Vitamin C and some zinc.

FireOverBabylon Tue 16-Oct-12 11:29:47

Oh, and mkae sure you wash your hands regularly. sounds odd, but you're more likely to get DS's lurgy if your immune system is surpressed because you're so tired. Washing your hands regularly, or using hand gel, will help to stop you getting the cold yourself to compound things.

hedgehogpatronus Tue 16-Oct-12 11:32:36

alienreflux the drinking coffee comment was intended lightheartedly, I meant the OP should treat herself to some really nice coffee for a pick-me-up, because the rest of my advice was so boring and health-conscious and... well, depressing! I figure the OP is intelligent enough to know how much caffeine is good or bad for herself smile

Filibear Tue 16-Oct-12 19:49:55

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

attheendoftheday Tue 16-Oct-12 20:07:31

Both dp and i function better if we take turns to do a whole night of getting up then get a whole night's sleep. Could you try this? It works better if the off-duty parent can sleep somewhere they aren't disturbed by the on-duty parent getting up.

CailinDana Tue 16-Oct-12 20:09:46

Is there any reason you can't take a sick day?

catgirl1976 Tue 16-Oct-12 20:13:17

Do you have family or friends who can help and maybe take DS overnight for you, or even for a few hours whilst you catch up on some sleep?

Exhaustion is a good reason to take a sick day in my book too, so if you can, take a day off sick and get some rest.

If you carry on you will end up actually ill and off work anyway so don't feel guilty about it

McHappyPants2012 Tue 16-Oct-12 20:13:17

Tbh I think you need to go on the sick before the PND gets worse.

Could you afford a cleaner/ laundry service and just make life alittle easier.

Filibear Tue 16-Oct-12 20:15:41

catgirl1976 Tue 16-Oct-12 20:18:08

Ah, I;m sorry you don't have any support at hand.

Being tired like this is horrific. I have an 11 mo DS who has only slept through a handful of times and I work ft so I know it is hard, hard, hard.

Ring your work in the morning. Tell them you are ill. Take a day (or a few) off and sleep and rest. You need it, it is legitiamte

Could you and DS go and stay with your family for a few day? Would that be an option?

Filibear Tue 16-Oct-12 20:30:55

catgirl1976 Tue 16-Oct-12 20:31:59

Can you talk to your mum? Is there anyway she would make the trip to you if you told her how exhausted you are and asked for some help?

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 16-Oct-12 20:36:01

I feel your pain, sick baby, only wants me, have to work, childcare nightmares, family 1000s of miles away. I was up until midnight and from 4am two nights ago and from 1.30am last night. I have no suggestions, only sympathy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now