Talk

Advanced search

To want me and not school to decide

(29 Posts)
Whistlingwaves Tue 16-Oct-12 07:33:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HecateLarpo Tue 16-Oct-12 07:34:21

Bloody hell. That's a bit unnecessary. I would be having words. Children as young as three do not need that level of detail. Or any detail. They could be scared to death. What is the head's reasoning?

MrsKeithRichards Tue 16-Oct-12 07:43:38

I don't thing it's unnecessary at all.

I've never understood people that want to block or filter news to children.

voldemortspinkteddy Tue 16-Oct-12 07:44:02

Why not? Children are too mollycoddled these days.

UndeadPixie Tue 16-Oct-12 07:44:06

That is ridiculous. Yanbu, if it were just upper juniors I could understand thehas talking about news issues as they will see headlines and out its better that it is explained rather than left to their imagination (as not all parents want to explain or even realise that their children are absorbing this information when out!) But to tell the younger ones is awful.

HecateLarpo Tue 16-Oct-12 07:55:54

Telling children of three years old how a child has gone missing and has probably been murdered and they're looking for her dead body in the river?

Really? You'd tell a three year old that?

I must be overprotective then, cos I wouldn't. They'd have nightmares for weeks.

Whistlingwaves Tue 16-Oct-12 07:56:47

Zimbah Tue 16-Oct-12 07:58:57

Good grief that sounds awful. Can you speak to the head? I wouldn't want my 4yo being told that. If she caught sight of it on the news or whatever I would explain it in as gentle a way as possible, I would be fuming if the school took it upon themselves to go into details.

kim147 Tue 16-Oct-12 07:59:35

Whistlingwaves Tue 16-Oct-12 08:03:22

redwhiteandblueeyedsusan Tue 16-Oct-12 08:05:34

why not? because there would be nightmares every night for my six year old and she would be too tied to learn.

Whistlingwaves Tue 16-Oct-12 08:08:16

fluffyraggies Tue 16-Oct-12 08:10:02

3 year old's in school assembly?

Where's this? At our local primary the reception children are 4/5 and they aren't expected to sit through school assemblies till year 1.

Whistlingwaves Tue 16-Oct-12 08:14:15

fluffyraggies Tue 16-Oct-12 08:26:19

My goodness! What do they do - staple them to the floor!?

Perhaps our primary is just a little too lenient then. We have our 4/5 year old's in assembly only if it's something really attention grabbing going on, like a theater group or something, and we bustle them out as soon as it's over as they get figity so quickly.

I wouldn't have been happy about my DCs having to sit through all that 6 times a week at such a young age. Maybe from 6/7 up?

Wouldn't be happy with the details of the news being given out on the more upsetting cases. (murders/abductions) Great idea to tell them a little bit about about sporting achievements/politics/local news ect ...

fluffyraggies Tue 16-Oct-12 08:32:40

I'm just trying to think what age my DCs were when i started to introduce the idea of safety and strangers. What a sad time that is - when you have to tell them the world has nasty people in it who may want to do something bad sad

I wouldn't have wanted my 3 year old coming out of nursery worrying about being abducted sad

GoldenGreen Tue 16-Oct-12 08:34:23

It might be ok to go into details with some children but not in a school assembly! They need to be able to ask questions and be reassured - and an adult needs to be sufficiently tuned in to the child to see what is being understood and what is just plain terrifying to them. I would seriously question the judgement of this teacher.

Whistlingwaves Tue 16-Oct-12 08:42:39

sashh Tue 16-Oct-12 08:56:43

Teachers can get it so wrong, sometimes they need a dig in the right direction.

I watched something about 9/11. A school teacher in New York thought 'this is history in the making' and put it on TV in the school.

Then one of the kids said, "Do you think my dad is in there?"

His dad was a firefighter. When the teacher took a show of hands he realised there were about a dozen hildren who might be watching their parents die.

OP

The school has no idea if a child in the school has had a bad experience / been abducted / had a relative murdered etc etc.

They need reminding.

lambethlil Tue 16-Oct-12 09:04:34

A school teacher in New York thought 'this is history in the making' and put it on TV in the school

God, people are stupid.

Nanny0gg Tue 16-Oct-12 09:10:36

I don't think it is at all appropriate in assembly.
I think older children, in their class, with their own teacher, yes. But in a big hall with all the children - how can they ask questions or seek clarification or reassurance?
Nope.

WelshMaenad Tue 16-Oct-12 09:14:53

YANBU. Yeesh, tmi for little ones. Our school caretaker committed suicide last year, which was really difficult and horrible for us as a school community, but the staff, and especially the head, handled it beautifully with not too much info and lots of empathy. I have no doubt the older ones worked things out, especially as it happened on school property and the police were in attendance, etc, but communication with parents was good and we were left to decide how much additional info to talk over with our own kids.

FolkGhoul Tue 16-Oct-12 10:50:09

Wow sashh. He probably never even considered that. sad

Whistlingwaves Tue 16-Oct-12 10:59:52

Whistlingwaves Tue 16-Oct-12 11:00:36

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now