Talk

Advanced search

to think not washing your hands after going to the toilet is disgusting?

(23 Posts)
Goldidi Mon 15-Oct-12 23:30:46

According to the BBC there are rather a lot of people who don't wash their hands after every time they go to the toilet. They found only 32% of men and 64% of women washed their hands after using a motorway service station toilets. Disgusting.

AIBU to be disgusted? Can you convince me that it isn't disgusting?

thebody Mon 15-Oct-12 23:32:16

Ewwww. Agree

IneedAgoldenNickname Mon 15-Oct-12 23:34:05

I agree, but I know people who don't WSJ their hands, but use anti bac gel instead

IneedAgoldenNickname Mon 15-Oct-12 23:35:26

WSJ? I hate this bloody auto correct! Wash, I meant wash!

RawShark Mon 15-Oct-12 23:35:51

Depends whether they washed them with soap. If there's no soap there's no point. I have friedns who think water actually washes off the germs..... wHich is why if there's no soap I don;t "wash" my hands. NOt happy about that when it happens though and have a good scrub with a baby wipe as I seem to have these all the time now grin

WorraLiberty Mon 15-Oct-12 23:35:52

I'd rather sit on a pile of my own shit than use a motorway service station toilet anyway.

<< Unhelpful >>

Kalisi Mon 15-Oct-12 23:37:27

Exact same thread going on further down. It has more replies so therefore is mightier and more valid wink

Goldidi Mon 15-Oct-12 23:38:11

Anti-bac gel would be fine by me. I have my doubts that 68% of men carry anti bac gel around with them though. Surely it would be easier to just wash your hands with the soap and water provided in a reasonably nice public toilet? I do have gel with me most of the time just in case somewhere has run out of soap but generally just use the sink.

RawShark Mon 15-Oct-12 23:38:55

Kalisi - how could I have missed that shock. Now I'll have to type that all out again....

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Mon 15-Oct-12 23:39:29

Antibac gel.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Mon 15-Oct-12 23:40:20

I'm usually allergic to the soap in public toilets, I'm fine with antibac gel. My DS's carry it around too.

RainbowSpiral Mon 15-Oct-12 23:40:40

I think you should wash your hands after a poo, but is it actually normal for men to wash if they have made no contact with wee whilst using urinals?

It is clear to me that very few boys wash their hands in school toilets when not observed by staff. My boys have admitted this to me and I certainly make them wash when they come in from school! Of course I advise them to wash at school but they are not doing it.

MadgeHarvey Mon 15-Oct-12 23:41:02

This again? I think I'll go for a poo and then maybe post it to worra

grin

Goldidi Mon 15-Oct-12 23:41:06

I must have missed that, oops blush

IneedAgoldenNickname Mon 15-Oct-12 23:42:01

I agree anti bac gel is fine, not that I can use it, but wonder if it accounts for sine of the people who said they don't wash?

BitBOOwildered Mon 15-Oct-12 23:42:45

Antibac gel is for use AFTER washing with soap and hot water. Not INSTEAD of.

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Mon 15-Oct-12 23:46:02

DC (age 4) said to me the other day (in the spirit of compromise) 'ok hmm...I'll wash my hands after a poo, but I'm not washing them after a wee'

shock I'm trying to renegotiate

Goldidi Mon 15-Oct-12 23:49:18

Dd2 (age 2) said much the same thing yesterday Batman. In a public toilet. I made her wash her hands, then 2 older women came out of cubicles and left without so much as a glance at the sinks.

janelikesjam Mon 15-Oct-12 23:56:20

I don't think its that disgusting, especially some public toilets I would want to keep all contact at a minimum. I wash my hands sometimes, but not others.

samandi Tue 16-Oct-12 09:23:59

janelikesjam - surely in dodgy public toilets it's more important to wash your hands not less? confused

RawShark Tue 16-Oct-12 19:37:46

I was thinking that Samandi - is not everyone's poo/wee equally contagious?

dondon33 Tue 16-Oct-12 20:08:16

Yanbu - I always wash mine, doesn't matter what I've been to the loo for.

I absolutely detest using public loo's - I'll not even make contact with the seat and scrub my hands when I must use one. I'll then use a piece of tissue/paper towel to open the exit door so I don't have to touch where others filthy sods have kindly left their bacteria through not washing.

AnnaLiza Tue 16-Oct-12 20:19:11

jane I know what you mean. I'm very reluctant to wash my hands in public toilets especially dodgy ones because I want to keep contact with sinks, taps, doors etc to a minimum. Especially if I have to touch the tap to open and close water.
I agree hot wash with soap is better than anti bac alone but if the toilet is really disgusting I just do anti bac gel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now