Talk

Advanced search

Genuine AIBU - was this rude?

(26 Posts)
flippinada Mon 15-Oct-12 21:01:59

Quite prepared to be told I am being!

Walking home from work today and was bellowed at (can't think of another word that appropriately describes it tbh) by a child - are you not on your bike, are you not on your bike (x 10 and at increasing volume) - at first I thought they must have been talking to a friend but then I realised they were yelling at me! I just ignored it but reflecting afterwards I thought, how bloody ill mannered.

I realise this will make me sound utterly fogey-ish but I wouldn't have dared behave like that as a child (am late 30ish). But maybe I'm just being an old fart and it's quite normal these days?

flippinada Mon 15-Oct-12 21:02:59

Mean to say am late 30s not 30ish!

GotMyGoat Mon 15-Oct-12 21:03:35

Do you normally ride your bike and he sees you everyday sort of thing? Maybe he thought you were rude for ignoring him!

Not sure I understand tbh!

usualsuspect3 Mon 15-Oct-12 21:03:39

eh? why would they shout that?

KenandDeirdre Mon 15-Oct-12 21:05:15

Are you sure you heard right?

marquesas Mon 15-Oct-12 21:06:22

Have you missed some info out of your OP - it sounds a bit random?

flippinada Mon 15-Oct-12 21:08:51

Well, I do have a bike so I presume they'd seen me out on that, hence the shouting.

Sparklingbrook Mon 15-Oct-12 21:09:38

Depends if you are a cyclist or not for a start.

WhizziesMum Mon 15-Oct-12 21:10:09

How old was the child?

usualsuspect3 Mon 15-Oct-12 21:11:11

Sounds like he was just trying to talk to you, and because you ignored him he had to shout.

flippinada Mon 15-Oct-12 21:11:12

I definitely heard right. It does sound odd when you read back, doesn't it - but that's what happened.

usualsuspect3 Mon 15-Oct-12 21:11:57

I wouldn't think it was rude.

flippinada Mon 15-Oct-12 21:14:55

Eleven or twelve I think - in a group. I didn't recognise him. They were at a distance - lots of kids round here, it's a nice playing out sort of place.

He really did just started shouting.

flippinada Mon 15-Oct-12 21:17:45

Fair enough, usualsuspect - we all have different takes on these things don't we.

I'm a quiet and reserved sort of person so it's just not how I would have behaved but I appreciate it may not have been meant rudely.

Asmywhimsytakesme Mon 15-Oct-12 21:19:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

larks35 Mon 15-Oct-12 21:21:40

I think it sounds like he was asking/shouting a genuine question, but maybe with some unknown, humourous-to-teens only agenda. He shouldn't have continued shouting out, that's rude. Did you acknowledge him at all?

I work with teens and they can be a bit odd at times, asking the strangest of questions and then falling about with laughter when I give a straight answer. They're a weird lot when in a group, lovely on a one-to-one basis.

flippinada Mon 15-Oct-12 21:23:21

It's not a rude question at all. I meant more the bellowing across the street at an adult you don't know is rude, although I.appreciate the op is a bit garbled!

tharsheblows Mon 15-Oct-12 21:26:40

If my 11 yo shouted that repeatedly at someone, I'd tell him to stop it because he was being rude. But I do know from experience that teens are strange creatures, especially when together, as larks said. So it was rude but probably of the clueless, socially inept, kids being goofy variety rather than something ill meant.

flippinada Mon 15-Oct-12 21:27:00

Hmmmm....that sounds about right larks! Maybe there was a bit of showing off/bravado in front of mates involved- certainly don't think there was anything malicious in it.

Floggingmolly Mon 15-Oct-12 21:28:04

It's odd, certainly. It must have been flaming obvious you weren't on your bike confused. And you don't actually know the child?

MmeLindor Mon 15-Oct-12 21:30:23

tbh, I would have answered him, that no, today I wasn't on my bike .. or something.

Perhaps he was so used to seeing you on your bike, and wondered why you weren't cycling today.

I would have suspected that he was on the autistic spectrum rather than being rude.

flippinada Mon 15-Oct-12 21:30:47

No I don't floggingmolly but clearly I have made an impression smile.

flippinada Mon 15-Oct-12 21:32:36

Actually Mme I hadn't considered that - you could be right. He nay be thinking I'm the rude one.

Next time I see him I'll smile and say hello.

flippinada Mon 15-Oct-12 21:34:00

I mean may, not nay.

soontobemumofthree Mon 15-Oct-12 21:34:10

Its not polite to shout across the street, this is true, but sounds like unintentioned rudeness and really he just wanted to communicate with you! I wouldnt have done this either as a child but plenty of my classmates might of!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now