Talk

Advanced search

to ask if anyone has opened a junior ISA?

(7 Posts)
MixedBerries Mon 15-Oct-12 12:54:55

Have been meaning to do this since DS was born. He's 1 this week so probably about time I got it sorted! I don't really know where to start and the DirectGov advice is far too general and scant to be useful.

So does anyone have any recommendations? Are all the providers pretty much the same or are some better than others? Any advice would be welcome.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 15-Oct-12 12:56:21

DS has stocks and shares one with Nationwide. Things to check are any fees and charges. Too soon to say if I've plumped for the right one.

Coops79 Mon 15-Oct-12 12:56:49

I got one through Halifax which is at 6% if you transfer your own ISA across. Be aware that ONLY the child can access the cash in this or any other ISA.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 15-Oct-12 12:58:42

Not Nationwide... Family Investments. Has savings with Nationwide. smile

BartletForTeamGB Mon 15-Oct-12 13:00:57

I haven't yet, but I do like www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/junior-isa for advice so that might be helpful.

MixedBerries Mon 15-Oct-12 13:13:42

Thanks for that link, Bartlet, very useful. The more I read about it, the less appealing a Junior ISA becomes. What if they need the money sooner for college or FE before they're 18? May have to re-think this.

PickledFanjoCat Mon 15-Oct-12 13:17:11

I have one with fidelity.

In happy for it to be longer term, the min per month is 25 but they have the best funds for the lowest minimum I could find.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now