Talk

Advanced search

to wonder whats wrong with marks and spencers sizing.

(10 Posts)
watchoutforthatsnail Mon 15-Oct-12 10:09:19

DD is 7 in jan. So, 6.

I brought her a skirt in the sale, for next year as it was down to £3. It arrived this morning, she wanted to try it on.
I told her she could but it would be too big

it wasnt. it fits.

Even in lenght, its above her knees!!!

I know shes tall, but shes not the height of an 11 year old. Something must be wrong.

Pic on profile.

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 15-Oct-12 10:15:42

So what age is the skirt? And do you not look at the height, rather than the age? confused DD2 is 11 and I got her two pairs of jeans in the sale in M & S. Both age 14. She's not 14, and neither is she quite the height of what a 14 year old is supposed to measure according to M & S, but she has long legs, and they fit.

MaMattoo Mon 15-Oct-12 10:15:50

Yes! Completely. I am a size 10 and 16 in m&s for the same category of clothes. Funny place.

Btw I am not size 10 by any other store, size, scope or imagination...

watchoutforthatsnail Mon 15-Oct-12 10:19:47

oh, sorry, the skirt is age 11.

ridiclous. its not even knee lenght.
!!!

i do go by the height as DD is tall, but shes not in the height catergory for an 11 year old... but the skirt is 3/4 ths down her thigh. i doubt it will last a year.

Haberdashery Mon 15-Oct-12 11:40:04

How tall is she? That seems very odd. DD is six (just) and the age 4 skirts in M&S are short but not madly so. She has long long legs, too, compared to her body. Is the skirt intended to be a mini-skirt?

donnie Mon 15-Oct-12 11:41:58

their sizes are mad. I am a size 10 amd sometimes 12 but even their size 8s hang off me. I tried on a size 8 jumper in there last week and it was enormous.

I'm at the other end of the scale (size 18) and have never found anything tailored properly to fit me (jeans, suits, shirts).

I've tried on stuff in there when I was a size 14 and 16 also - even going up a size is useless, as it's the cut not the sizing that is the issue - something a size bigger is too baggy in some parts and still too tight in others.

OTOH I got a pair of jeans in Next a few weeks ago and they are brilliant!

watchoutforthatsnail Mon 15-Oct-12 11:49:31

shes tall - probably age 9.

shes longer in the body than the leg...

its this skirt
www.marksandspencer.com/Detail-Pleated-Skirt-Adjustable-Waist/dp/B003C8GPD8?_encoding=UTF8&mnSBrand=core

its shorter on DD than it is on the model.

BreconBeBuggered Mon 15-Oct-12 11:53:57

I'm wearing M&S clothes today. Jumper size 16, skirt size 10. I'm top-heavy, but not to that extent, and there's plenty of room in the skirt. I look at the garment rather than the label for trying on, and it's fine, but I would never order anything online for myself. I find Asda clothes much more oddly cut. Nothing does up across the chest but the arms are twice the width they need to be.

Quadrangle Mon 15-Oct-12 12:22:51

Yes I found that school skirt ridiculously short too and sent it back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now