Talk

Advanced search

To think the hemlines on most girls' dresses in the shops at the moment are stupidly short?

(15 Posts)
CheddarandMarmite Mon 15-Oct-12 08:08:12

Trying to buy some winter dresses for DD (who is 4 and doesn't like trousers).

Looked at loads of stuff online and in the shops, lots of which looked lovely at first glance, but when you look at it on the model, or try it on, they all turned out to finish way above the knee.

AIBU to be really fed up about this? Most of the stuff is considerably shorter than the things she's outgrown since last year.

Apart from the fact that (imo) dresses that are too short look a bit daft (OK, I'm clearly not very fashionable), it means that they're unlikely to even last the winter.

Usually when I buy a dress it starts off a bit long, then right length, then a bit short, so I can count on it lasting a year at least. With the dresses currently in the shops they will go from slightly too short to knicker-skimming in weeks (or is my child the only one who grows like a weed?) I can't afford to keep buying new stuff all the time.

So fed up, we spent ages shopping and came home with just one thing from H&M that isn't too bad as it finishes only just above the knee, but certainly no chance of it still fitting next year. My daughter is slight, with long legs, which compounds the problem, and means I can't size up much because then her torso is shrouded in excess folds of baggy material, and the sleeves cover her hands completely.

OK, rant over grin Just wish designers of children's clothing would think a little bit about practicality.

WelshMaenad Mon 15-Oct-12 08:13:46

I have a tall one too. I have a lot if DD's dresses made -google Dunk n Fluff - and get the maker to add 2 or 3 inches to their standard length, I can then usually get at least a year out if them, sometimes two!

WelshMaenad Mon 15-Oct-12 08:14:33

Oh, we also have joy with Fat Face dresses being a decent length!

redskyatnight Mon 15-Oct-12 08:26:38

Yes I agree. A dress that fits DD on her top half now is just about at what I would consider to be a decent length. As soon as she thinks about growing it becomes indecent.

However at this time of year she wears knitted dresses with thick tights or leggings so I think she can get away with the shorter length..

mrsfuzzy Mon 15-Oct-12 08:59:26

it just looks awful how some girls make their school skirts so short that you can practically see their undies, it might be 'fashionable' but i think it just looks cheap. as for short length dresses in general it makes me wonder if they are made for actual girls heights and sizes, as you say they don't get much wear considering the overall cost of decent quality clothing.

honeytea Mon 15-Oct-12 09:25:46

Could you buy her some wolly leggings and then the dress can sort of evolve into a top as she gets taller?

PumpkInDublic Mon 15-Oct-12 09:31:14

YANBU. I have a son so other than a kilt this isn't an issue for us, I have a friend with a DD though who passes on her old clothes to us to go to people who need them. So short! No wonder they're in such good condition when she passes them on, she's only had them a few months.

Agree with Honey, perhaps thick woolly leggings, will cover her up and keep her warm. Sure some places still make clotts (sp?) too, friend's DD had some lovely ones, looked like a skirt, nice and long and also great for playing. She used to shop at Next and M&S if you're interested.

CheddarandMarmite Mon 15-Oct-12 09:53:48

Glad it isn't just me then!

Unfortunately DD categorises leggings as trousers, and doesn't like them. Some of her friends wear jeans with short dresses, but she was highly unimpressed with that suggestion (and tbh it isn't a look I really like either).

Will have a look at Fat Face.

designerbaby Mon 15-Oct-12 09:57:37

We have a lanky one too...

[whispers] Boden dresses quite long and smallish in the torso... Wait for the (fortnightly) sales though obvs.

If anyone asks I deny ever posting the above.

Definitely NOT db

Who said so? LIES.

grin

honeytea Mon 15-Oct-12 10:26:32

You can get tights that are the same thickness as leggings, at 4 can't you just buy them clothes along the lines of what they like and insist they wear them (so long as it's not something uncomfy.)

CheddarandMarmite Mon 15-Oct-12 10:53:46

Yes, I do sometimes insist she wears things - for example she has to wear trousers during the week for various reasons of practicality (she doesn't have to wear a uniform), and in return on non-school days she can wear what she likes (ie dresses). She is very opinionated about her clothes and loves choosing them herself, and it's not really worth the battle to buy things she hates.

She does happily wear tights with dresses, but I still think they look too short and will be quickly outgrown.

Will have another look at Boden, did look at the weekend but it seemed to be the same story there.

designerbaby Mon 15-Oct-12 11:18:31

Yes, but you can go up a couple of sizes without the body looking weird...

NumericalMum Mon 15-Oct-12 11:28:47

I have a short one but she is obsessed with long dresses and we find buying bigger sizes at h&m works ok but Boden do do lovely longer dresses and skirts. Not always obvious on the models in the pictures though. If you are feeling rich the Swedish brand POP is amazingly long. My 4.5 year old is in 2-3 trousers with room to grow still and they have adjustable waistbands on all their clothes!

honeytea Mon 15-Oct-12 11:34:45

I'd second what numericalmum says about pop, also any Swedish brand really, they have a company called lindex and one called kapall they also have clothes for tall kids and tge Swedes are not keen on tge knicker skimming look on kids. I think tge kids here are just big, the Swedish babygrows are about a 3rd longer in the same age than tge UK babygrows im worried about having a giant baby

I don't have a 4 year old so I naively thought you just bought the clothes and gave them tge option between what they have (I have lots of parenting lessons to learn!)

watchoutforthatsnail Mon 15-Oct-12 11:35:16

oh - posted on this subject this morning.

My dd is 6, shes in an age 11 marks and spencers skirt, that is above her knees!!

shes tall, but not that tall, it would be knicker skimming on an 11 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now