Talk

Advanced search

to hate the clapping in Strictly

(26 Posts)
threesocksmorgan Sun 14-Oct-12 21:30:06

why do they get the audience to clap along?
it doesn't add anything IMO

cocoachannel Sun 14-Oct-12 21:31:34

To show that they're all having such a grrreeeaaaattttt time hmm

YANBU!

RonettePulaski Sun 14-Oct-12 21:33:48

I hate clapping. Any clapping. It's fucking weird and if aliens saw us they'd think we were like seals or something

threesocksmorgan Sun 14-Oct-12 21:38:05

phew was starting to think I was alone.
it makes me mad.

lannyshrops Sun 14-Oct-12 21:40:46

You are totally reasonable! My dh was also ranting about this! They weren't even in bloody time with the music! Gah!

Mrsjay Sun 14-Oct-12 21:44:23

I curl up in a ball if I am somewhere maybe a party or a wedding and I am asked to clap along It just doesn't feel right to me, YANBU it is cringey

theinets Sun 14-Oct-12 22:02:30

I cringe when expected to clap in time too, not sure why.

Mrsjay Sun 14-Oct-12 22:03:17

I think I am just a bit uptight tbh

tescocarrierbagexplosion Sun 14-Oct-12 23:15:04

I seem to clap a lot... My 10 month old loves it and claps back...

Am I a freak ? sad

Sparklingbrook Sun 14-Oct-12 23:16:23

Too much clapping makes your hands fizzy anyway. sad

limitedperiodonly Mon 15-Oct-12 04:15:15

Floor managers order the audience to do it. If they didn't you'd notice it'd look static. A static audience makes the show look boring. They are part of the show. That's a reasonable expectation. If you don't do it, or deviate from the specified coloured clothes they move you. That's good to know if you want to be in the audience but not on tv. Most people in a studio audience do.

MrsHelsBels74 Mon 15-Oct-12 04:17:33

sparking what an excellent description grin

My son (2.8) loves all the clapping & joins in

EugenesAxe Mon 15-Oct-12 04:50:16

I have an irrational hatred of almost ALL hand clapping to music; agree it is cringeworthy.

The worst is figure skating; the music always builds up and slows down so there's always an awkward moment when people think 'clapping doesn't really work anymore' and then stop.

Happybunny12 Mon 15-Oct-12 05:13:05

limitedperiodonly - they tell the audience what colour to wear? Really? How does this work? Have visions of them lining up audience members... 'reds over there, green in the middle and blue in the corner!'

limitedperiodonly Mon 15-Oct-12 07:58:31

happy yes they do. Sometimes they want people to wear black but it's mostly brights or pastels because they're more interesting. No distracting jewellery. They make you take it off and lie when they promise to look after it. Horizontal stripes used to make the cameras go crazy but maybe they've fixed that. If you clash with a neighbour they'll move one of you or get you to put on a cardi or take one off.

If you look too scruffy or too smart or fiddle with your clothes or hair they'll move you out of shot

Then they'll make you clap like seal and grin like a loon for up to three hours for a one-hour show. Don't forget they'll expect you two hours in advance for 'airport-style' security which really means they want you to wait around for their convenience. You won't get paid or have any transport and it's best to eat beforehand and go to the loo whenever they announce a break whether you want a wee or not. You'll get shoved out into the dark with surprising swiftness for someone who was told they were so important several hours before.

Some people enjoy this hellish experience so much they return again and again. Weirdos.

Mrsjay Mon 15-Oct-12 09:59:58

I seem to clap a lot... My 10 month old loves it and claps back...

Am I a freak ?

Clapping at or with babies is the law smile It is ok

Mrsjay Mon 15-Oct-12 10:01:33

DD got in an audience for tonights the night last year and they were told not to wear stripes and just block colours <dunno>

LadyMargolotta Mon 15-Oct-12 10:02:21

The clapping is awful this year. Clapping as applause is fine, but the problem is the clapping in time to the music, which detracts from the atmosphere.

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Mon 15-Oct-12 10:11:39

I've been to Strictly a couple of times, you are told to clap to music, whoop etc. I agree that it would actually seem very static if the audience didn't. Also, even though we're instructed to do so, the audience is genuinely having a good time and wants to clap along. So sue them.

MonkeyRisotto Mon 15-Oct-12 10:15:28

What annoys me most is the booing when any of the judges have the temerity to be critical of the performance. FGS if they don't give criticism, then the celebs will never improve.

Mrsjay Mon 15-Oct-12 10:17:17

OH i like booing I would probably boooooooooo at craig grin

WhenShallWeThreeMeetAgain Mon 15-Oct-12 10:19:00

"*I have an irrational hatred of almost ALL hand clapping to music*"......

I have an irrational hatred of Strictly !!

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 15-Oct-12 10:19:30

arf at 'fizzy hands'

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Mon 15-Oct-12 10:22:47

PS and the audience is told they're the fifth judge and to boo judges they disagree with. It's panto.

theodorakis Mon 15-Oct-12 11:36:55

I think all audiences should be given a big turn to hold to discourage them from clapping. I hate it and most of them have no sense of time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now