Talk

Advanced search

To expect them to play in their rooms for 30 bloody minutes!

(12 Posts)
Loie159 Sun 14-Oct-12 18:22:17

Much loved DC are driving me potty. .... We have had a weekend of playing board games, park, beach, park, baking etc etc. We have all just had dinner and I have explained I want them to play in their rooms for 30 minutes before bed. Rooms are stuffed with tiys but they just seem determined to want to be down here winding me up !

They literally are upstairs for 2 minutes then I tell them to go back up , and repeat. DS is 5 DD is 4. I just want them to g

Loie159 Sun 14-Oct-12 18:22:41

Damn phone!!! Give me a break that meant to say

Leena49 Sun 14-Oct-12 18:48:57

I know the feeling.

Gumby Sun 14-Oct-12 18:50:42

Put them in the bath & start bedtime

alphabite Sun 14-Oct-12 20:08:25

They are just little. Give them a break. Children of that age just want adult attention.

Build it up. 30 mins is a long, long time for a 4-5 year old. 5 minutes more realistic until they get used to it.

Loie159 Sun 14-Oct-12 20:11:31

I know...... But I am exhausted and I just wanted to be able to dig down and have a cup of tea!!! Building up to it is s good idea though will work on it do they don't feel like it is too much in one go.

Sometimes I do just want them to play without me !!

alphabite Sun 14-Oct-12 20:30:31

Understandable. That age can be exhausting. I used to teach year 1!

RubyFakeNails Sun 14-Oct-12 20:33:57

Bribery is your friend.

If you stay in your room until so and so I will give you x.

I can get an entire afternoon out of DD2 this way.

cestlavielife Sun 14-Oct-12 22:33:17

Put a cbeebies DVD on and let them chill on sofa while you have tea .
Isn't that why DVD s were invented ?

Beamur Sun 14-Oct-12 22:36:35

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 5 year old to play by themselves for half an hour - especially with a built in playmate!
But if they never do this, then you might need to start with shorter periods to start with and maybe suggest something they could do.
Have they got too many toys available to play with? Put some away and then when they come out again - novelty value!
I also agree that half an hour (or so) TV or DVD time to allow you time for a cuppa is no bad thing.

usualsuspect3 Sun 14-Oct-12 22:39:48

Stick a DVD on or the TV.

They really should be able to play by themselves at that age for a while though.

Kalisi Sun 14-Oct-12 22:41:54

Maybe actually set them up with something to do up there? My favourite with my DN's is going in and hiding 20 lego blocks around the room and tell them to come down when they are found.......and put one on top of the wardrobe grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now