Talk

Advanced search

To be very unreasonable to declare today Sod It Sunday

(21 Posts)
HoneyDragon Sun 14-Oct-12 15:27:17

and not cook a friggin' roast dinner. Dh has announced yet again he has work to do. Amazingly his work will finish with time to watch football on the tv wink, but not to join his family for a quick walk with the dog. Or acknowledge us at all really.

Keeping the children occupied for half an hour for me to pop out and walk the dog in peace involves shovelling shit down their throats and ignoring them.

Dc's and I have been for a walk. DD is a toddler with a cold and therefore a snotty pain. Ds had a ton of homework he needs help to do.

Dc's will be happier with pasta today. I don't particularly like roast chicken so am not bothered, and I refuse to cook it so dh can pile it on a plate and bugger off to shovel it in his gob in front of the football.

AIBU to announce today Sod It Sunday? grin

moondog Sun 14-Oct-12 15:28:46

I wouldn't even begin to think of cooking for someone who then ate in front of the tv.
Is that usual?

itwasallyellow Sun 14-Oct-12 15:30:34

I would definitely bugger it today and do whatever's easiest. He sounds awful so unhelpful and why does he eat in front of the tv.

If I were you I'd do the kids pasta and order yourself a takeaway later.

Yanbu. I'd cook whatever I fancied eating and then 'accidentally' drop a plateful in the ignorant sod's lap. I don't get the whole 'must have a roast on Sunday' thing - if you don't want it and you're the one who's cooking, don't have it.

Convert Sun 14-Oct-12 15:31:52

YANBU! I normally have the house all clean and something nice cooked for lunch when DH gets home from work but having taken DS to football this morning, then mad dash to tesco with the three monsters I can't be arsed.
House is a mess, bits on carpet and dishwasher not loaded. i have made a lasagne but fuck it, I am going to have a bulmers and relax MN for a bit.
Tell DH to stop being an arse btw grin

Jenny70 Sun 14-Oct-12 15:34:50

Kids still in pj's at ours (at 3.30) - hardly worth getting them dressed now! Definitely sod-it-sun here!

HoneyDragon Sun 14-Oct-12 15:39:52

It appears to have become so of late hmm because he has been late home, so no objections through the week.

A roast imo is not a tv dinner, I know it's not hard to cook but a little appreciation is in order.

But dd will pick, the dc's and I are all tired this week for various reasons and if dh wants to slob out with his dinner on the sofa, he does work hard, and that is fair enough, but not with a full roast dinner.

GhostofMammaTJ Sun 14-Oct-12 15:43:30

I do a roast most weeks because I want to and DD appreciates it. If I don't feel like it, I don't do it and noone, well noone escept DD moans. I usually buy her a crappy frozen one though and she is happy enough with that.

A roast is most certainly not a TV dinner.

Toombs Sun 14-Oct-12 15:44:43

Leave the bastard....

Oh! Wait.

CailinDana Sun 14-Oct-12 15:44:56

YANBU. We often don't bother with a roast, but when we do, DH cooks it.

HoneyDragon Sun 14-Oct-12 15:45:40

Dh is not usually such an arse btw. I need to remind him about work / life balance again I think hmm

McHappyPants2012 Sun 14-Oct-12 15:47:44

Sunday is a day of rest, one pot wonders for dinner smile then munch in front of the tv in pj smile

Hesterton Sun 14-Oct-12 15:47:55

I am having a blue Sunday. Actually a blue weekend, so I'll join you if you'll have me. I love pasta and I'm great at helping small people with their homework.

wine

Yama Sun 14-Oct-12 15:48:04

It is incredibly rude to take a meal someone else has cooked for you and sit watching the television. Not to mention unappreciative. I wouldn't cook for such a person.

I didn't think people still had roast dinners on a Sunday. Once in a while perhaps. I bet your dc will be happier with pasta. And since they probably appreciate you ...

aimingtobeaperfectionist Sun 14-Oct-12 15:48:32

If he's not prepared to sit with you, don't bloody cook for him. What a git. I cook a roast because I like it, DP appreciates it and then I've got loads of chicken left to make food for the rest of the week. It's a PITA cleaning up after but that's fine. My choice. Just make you and DC's food. If he's hungry he can make his own.

espanol Sun 14-Oct-12 15:55:02

Roasts are about all sitting down together round the table, talking together about your weekend and the week ahead, and appreciating your family and the effort the cook has put in. If he CBA to do any of that and prefers footie instead then I think a cuppa soup and cheese and pickle sandwich (made by himself) is about all he can legitimately expect grin

HoneyDragon Sun 14-Oct-12 15:59:43

Hesterton - You're very welcome smile

I don't do a Roast every Sunday - but we try normally to have a nice dinner. Sometimes we even slob in front of the tv.

aiming That's the thing, we can have it tomorrow and the left overs through the week.

But for the rest of today I am Mnetting and pottering. Once homework is done the dc's and I will watch Vampire dog.

But right now, I am going to take the bloody whistle that one of my dc is blowing and relocate it to the bin!

HoneyDragon Sun 14-Oct-12 16:00:49

Mmmmmn Cheese and Pickle sandwich and Cuppa soup. I actually think dh and I would both enjoy that.

espanol Sun 14-Oct-12 16:06:18

Well do that then! I'm doing roast beef today, but last week it was an easy casserole. We try to sit down as a family for all our weekend meals but sometimes it's just soup and a butty in front of the telly of we've been dashing around. And that's fine too smile

Trills Sun 14-Oct-12 16:10:39

"Am I being unreasonable to be very unreasonable?"

Er, yes? grin

HoneyDragon Sun 14-Oct-12 16:12:03

Trills.....I did think that one would lure you out wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now